May cancel '13 order for lack of front grille

NYStockboy

Established Member
I have an order in for a '13 at MSRP through Manhattan Ford about to be built. When the first pics of the 13 without the grill were posted, it seemed strange, but i didn't think about it much. When I went to the NY Auto Show specifically to see the '13 in person, it started to bother me a fair amount even though my order was already in. Now that there are posts about it on this forum, FordGT500 and Team Shelby, which are questioning both the difficulty of keeping the heat exchanger, etc clean and unobstructed and the potential problems of larger objects causing greater damage, I am bothered even more.

Living in Manhattan for the last 30 years, I have only had American performance cars. I deeply want this car and will probably trade in my beloved '04 Vette when I complete the purchase. But the last thing I want is problems related to the above. My Vette has been trouble and maintenance free for the last 8 years. To anticipate having to reach into the front facia to pick out bugs and debris every few times I drive the Shelby is ridiculous. I only have access to a hose in my garage where the car will be kept after 10pm. The lack of a grill offers an open invitation to every fool that walks by to stick a beer can, or whatever in that open space.

For guys that anticipate tracking the car, it is understandable why the need for maximum cooling would call for the lack of a grill. But for street use, this can't be necessary. Why didn't Ford offer the lack of a grill in the Track Pac option and a grill on the remainder of the cars. I am disappointed and may cancel my order. For those smarter than me, tell me why I am being a fool.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
I really think canceling your order for that reason, is a bit extreme. I'm sure you will be able to do something aftermarker to close the opening if need be.

NYStockboy

Established Member
How long will it take for the aftermarket to come up with something viable? Why should i have to take a new car and immediately go the aftermarket to provide the basic protection that one would assume the factory would provide for their product?

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
It has me worried a tad that they have to not have a grille because of cooling. I mean damn, if adding a grille will make the blower or car run hot than there is a problem. Is it that much on the edge of getting heat soaked because there is a grille in the way??? Hell, adding aftermarket blowers running big PSI on the earlier gt500's didnt need the grille taken out.

Last edited:

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
really? you think FORD spent all this time and money building the baddest mustang ever bolted together and then just slapped a grille on it? I'm sure there is RD behind the way it it is. if it bothers you that much, get some back mesh and affix it the back side of the grille.

NYStockboy

Established Member
03/04 Cobras didnt have a grill and I have never seen/read anybody with problems because of that.

Ok, thats a good answer. For those that owned one of these cars, there really were no significant problems related to the lack of a front grill?

Last edited:

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
Ok, thats a good answer. For those that owned one of these cars, there really were no significant problems related to the lack of a front grill?

I dont think there were any problems but the 03-04's grille area was quite a bit smaller than the 2013's.

No one ever put a beer bottle in my grilll...but OP it could happen to your GT500 considering you live in the city. lol I agree that someone is goingt o come up with something in the aftermarket for a little more protection. Just a matter of time...

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Probably going to be one of the best mustangs produced in this era, then comes the big body changes in 2014-2015 with hp reduction and weight. I'd buy it if I had the cash. Don't think we'll see this hp in a stang production car after 2013 for many many years.

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
I dont think the lack of grille is that big of a deal but why did they say it was because of cooling needs? It cant be that much on the edge of getting hot becaue there is a grille there. I think they did it because of looks.

NYStockboy

Established Member
Probably going to be one of the best mustangs produced in this era, then comes the big body changes in 2014-2015 with hp reduction and weight. I'd buy it if I had the cash. Don't think we'll see this hp in a stang production car after 2013 for many many years.

I agree completely. This car is a milestone in muscle car history.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if your willing to cancel your order because of that, then you must not really want this car. not sure why your ranting on here about it, your order doesn't affect us.

xenodragon

Established Member
My 04 has that open grille and other than some of the fan fins getting bent and bugs sticking in it no issues. I daily drove it in New Jersey for 30k miles.

I thought about putting a mesh grille in place to protect my heat exchanger but in the end decided against it, and i really havnt had any problems.

I wouldnt let the lack of a grille deter you from getting this car

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
if your willing to cancel your order because of that, then you must not really want this car. not sure why your ranting on here about it, your order doesn't affect us.

i think the OP has no idea what he is talking about. this car is not for him. so he/she should just cancel it an buy another car.

Florian

Established Member
dude, put down the pipe and shake yourself. One of the greatest muscle cars in recent history is being built and your bailing on it due to lack of grille? Buy some screening and ziptie it in place, problem solved.

F

NYStockboy

Established Member

Well, I don't think it's really a rant. My posting has helped me because answers related to the 04 Cobra which didn't have a grill and didn't cause it's owners difficulties are the answers I was looking for when I made the post.

I am 57, have a wife and daughter, have lived in Manhattan for over 30 years and have never had a family car. I have had a '77 Firebird, '88 IROC Z-28, '01 Mustang Bullitt, currently '04 Corvette. Owning these type of cars is more difficult when you live in Manhattan, and I want to keep the difficulties to a minimum. That is why some of the answers on this thread are helpful. And of course my order does not affect anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread