May cancel '13 order for lack of front grille

jtfx6552

Established Member
Do you also worry about your tampon falling out when you stand up in the morning?

I Lol'ed...

Seriously, My '03 never had an issue, Sure the radiator opening was smaller, but the HE is right down next to the ground, a nice huge opening for that...

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
The 2003-2004 terminators had no grille either.

Airflow.

If you want you can add a screen on the inside.

But I think canceling an order on a car that was already noted to not have a grille is an interesting move.

In the end, it's your money.

If this isn't the car you want, don't buy it.

I can see the logic for the grille delete though.

And these cars will be driven hard and often. Simply because winning feels really good. So the more air the better

lowbudgetracer

I know it looks good
Established Member
The guy ask a question and was looking for some logic behind his concern. Most of what he got was BS from certain people. I mean really if he gets the car or not so what but, all the Einsteins on here running their CH makes you really clever. Probably some of the same people who think they will be doing 200MPH in there GT500....NOT...most will not even see 150MPH.

There RY TRAPP that's a rant!!!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
The guy ask a question and was looking for some logic behind his concern. Most of what he got was BS from certain people. I mean really if he gets the car or not so what but, all the Einsteins on here running their CH makes you really clever. Probably some of the same people who think they will be doing 200MPH in there GT500....NOT...most will not even see 150MPH.

There RY TRAPP that's a rant!!!
aww hell nah you didn't! if you want to see what a rant looks like, i can show you what rant looks like!!! nothing close to true ranting ability has been posted in this thread, and some people here can back me up on that:D

lowbudgetracer

I know it looks good
Established Member
That's nice you have a following. BTW, it was sarcasm if you could not tell since you was claming he was ranting. In fact he was looking for an answer about the grill or logic to help him with his dilemma. In turn he got some real gee wiz answers from the really smart people.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
yea, definitely got that. my entire last post was tongue-in-cheek, no need to take the internet so seriously.

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
StockBoy...did your dealer offer you a value for your Corvette yet? If not, you best get to it, as it may affect your decision on actually taking delivery of the Shelby

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I for one understand the concern over the front grille, its there for a reason. However Im confident that the aftermarket will come up something to put behind it to protect the H/E-radiator if you feel the need, maybe on long trips a removable piece like some have said....I wouldnt be too concerned though to cancel my order

reason4treason

Established Member
From my point of view, if living in NYC, other risks seem so much higher than whatever having a grill can prevent, such as the chances of it getting stolen, or worse yet, jacked with you and possibly some family members in it at the time. Then there's vandalism such as people smashing windows just for something to do, and theft such as breaking into the vehicle for example, getting your lug lock and stealing your wheels, swiping the sound system, etc. I've lived in Vegas too and know someone who had her new Escalade jacked in broad daylight being chased down the street hopping over median strips by a couple of young thugs just to get the wheels. Stuff like that happens in 'the jungle.' But you've already been dealing with similar risks all the time you lived there so that part should probably not be anything new to handle (and it seems you work in the stockmarket in this recession? is that the case? if so, there's one more example of how you've already been coping with hefty risk). I still haven't asked my GEICO if they cover road hazard due to 'no grill' because they might think, "hmm. i didn't think of that. guess i'm gonna have to raise your rate." but I'll try calling some other insurance corps anonymously.

your cure might be as simple as discovering whether your auto ins covers it or not. in fact, that may be something we'd all be better off to know, so in a way, I'd say it's good that you raised the issue.

If asked what I think, I think you shouldn't pass up this opportunity to own a ride that's gonna provide thrills that far, far outweigh the 'high class problem' of 'how to I keep this beauty unmolested?'

Whatever you choose I wish you good luck.

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member
I tried calling some ins corps about coverage for this. In both CA and NY vandalism is coverage as usual to any part of the car by both Allstate and Progressive. This would include d-bags dikking with your grill area (that's literally -- not a euphamism here! if you catch them in the act, you'd probably want to dikk with their grill, so to speak) That sounded uncomplicated.

Regarding the no-grill matter, the 800 number in VA for Allstate said you need to contact individual ins agents in NY 'cause Allstate only uses such agents to handle ins in NY, not the national phone number I called, even just to answer my question you need to call some individual agent, and she said they're closed on the weekend (which already sounds like a corp that's a hassle to deal with just to get information, much less handle a claim. i dropped Allstate about 10 years ago just because they wanted to raise my rate as time passed when it should be dropping instead....now I just got something in the mail a while back regarding a class action lawsuit against them for what I believe was something to do with charging too much during some past period of years.)

The 800 number for Progressive said that in NY if a rock is kicked up by another vehicle and punctures your stuff in the absent-grill area, that's 'should' be covered by either comprehensive or collision, but at the time of presenting the claim, they would then have to sort out which type of coverage would address that and it would depend on the situation. If you hit something, whether another car or an object (she said that's the definition of collision) that would be covered. If you're taking a drive upstate and hit a coyote that's under collision (yes there are now coyotes in NY state and they're freakin' huge, much bigger than those in the southwest, like almost german shepherd size when fully grown).

Hope that helps. Just for info purposes Prog is 800 776 4737 and Alls is 800 255 7828

Last edited:

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Well if you think Germans over engineer everything then I would not worry about no grill because look at the grill on my car. I have two radiators and if you think these two pieces of plastic are offering any type of protection at all then I've got a bridge for sale too.

1e266d6f.jpg

5d24c305.jpg

For perspective.

0d151bfc.jpg

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
It's not the protection, it's making the eyes focus on a grill and not the minor damage that's bound to happen to the radiator.

NYStockboy

Established Member
StockBoy...did your dealer offer you a value for your Corvette yet? If not, you best get to it, as it may affect your decision on actually taking delivery of the Shelby

Yes Jack, I drove the Vette to the dealership several weeks ago and got pretty good value for a trade to a dealer. I am wrestling with keeping vs trading the Vette. I am leaning towards keeping it as I know I will sorely regret selling it no matter how much I like the new Shelby.

My dealer called today to tell me that there is a material hold on production as well as give me my partial VIN.

Thanks,
Ken

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
Hi Ken....like the phrase " we need a bigger boat " god man how many cars do you have
to store...? lol, hope all is well..when you get your " new arrival " come out and see
old Jack...see ya!

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I had a 03 Cobra and never had a issue with the grill. Back then I use to drive to Orlando all the time. Just had the bug issue, but heh highway driving, anyone will have that.

I seriously doubt it will be a issue with the 13's

91svtbird

Established Member
IMO the front end grille design has to do with two main issues.

(1) Aerodynamic design for high speed downforce working in conjunction with the front splitter and the hood air/heat extractor.

(2) The most capable and efficient engine and air charge cooling possible.

Ford has addressed every area it could to deal with the excessive heat being generated, during extended on track Nurburgring excursions (which the car was designed to be able to run at). At a sustained 662 HP @6500rpm's the heat produced from the engine and air charge temp's, transmission temps and differential temps is substantial.

(1) Ford has increased the oil pan 1-1/ 2 full qts to an 8-qt oil pan,

(2) They also cross-drilled the block and updated the heads for better cooling.

(3)New pistons are used with oil squirters for improved cooling.

13ShelbyGT500_12.jpg

The entire cooling system has been significantly updated on the new 5.8-liter engine. It now includes a

(4) larger cooling fan,

(5) fan shroud with high-speed pressure-relief doors,

(6) a more efficient charge air cooler, (4" taller)

(7) a higher-flow intercooler pump , 7gpm up from the 3gpm previous pump

(8)an intercooler heat exchanger with a 36 percent increase in volume.

(9)the larger 3-row intercooler, up from a 2-row.

Gt500frontview.jpg

They made available these optional external oil coolers."The coolers play an essential role in preventing crucial components from overheating under high-speed conditions." (FMCO)
(10) engine oil cooler,

(11)transmission oil cooler with pump and

(12)differential oil cooler with pump.

(13) Last but not least an optimized front grille opening

As much careful consideration was also taken with the front grille design as it was with all the other aforementioned cooling upgrades. Getting as much cool air into the radiator and heat exchanger to keep the engine from pulling timing as well as helping to keep the car as stable as possible at those near 200 mph on track jaunts was paramount.

I believe it was all necessary as part of the complete package. I have no doubt Ford spent a lot of time using CFD modeling getting that grille design right. If you look carefully in the last pic you can see the unique shape of the upper grille entry as well a the rest of the circumference of the grille opening.
(This is a direct quote from FMCO) Aero advancements
Significant aerodynamic work was done on the new Shelby GT500 to ensure the car has proper downforce for optimum performance at all speeds. Engineers were able to determine how to harness the air that was moving around and through the car to improve the cooling system, maximize downforce and minimize drag.

The front fascia and splitters were modified to handle the extreme loads at 200 mph, resulting in a car that tracks more securely and feels more planted to the road at higher speeds. It offers 33 percent more effective aero loading at 160 mph compared to the 2011 model.

It's these considerations and attention to details that separates the 13' from all previous years.IMO It has been my experience and observation's over the years that when Ford does something like this you can be sure it is because it was deemed necessary and concluded from all their extensive testing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread