May cancel '13 order for lack of front grille

NYStockboy

Established Member
i think the OP has no idea what he is talking about. this car is not for him. so he/she should just cancel it an buy another car.

Your are right that I have no idea what owning a car without a grill is like. That is why I am asking the forum and getting constructive answers. I also have no idea what owning a minivan, four door sedan, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, foreign car or shitbox is like either.

NYStockboy

Established Member
OK, thanks everybody, I have to get up early for work. The answers related to the '04 Cobra without a grill are what I needed to hear. Of course I will continue with the purchase. My dealership told me the car starts to be built next week. Let's see if that schedule holds.

Thanks,
Ken

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It reminds me of 68 390 mustang from the movie Bullitt. In my mind the lack of a front grille looks great.

I have never been to NY so I do not know what debris you will be driving through within the city. I will say that Ford has put this car through more testing with more miles(track, city, and country) than any customer will. Believe me, the lack of the front grille will have no issue with the everyday drive-ability of this car.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Your are right that I have no idea what owning a car without a grill is like. That is why I am asking the forum and getting constructive answers. I also have no idea what owning a minivan, four door sedan, 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, foreign car or shitbox is like either.

I really think your better off buying another GM maybe a new vette or an SS. Because I've never heard anyone says I should cancel an order on a 60k plus car cause of an open grill. Buying a GM MEANS you won't have to worry about making a hard choice of an open grill.

reason4treason

Established Member
The lack of a grill offers an open invitation to every fool that walks by to stick a beer can, or whatever in that open space.

A month or so ago you spoke of the colossal parking cost didn't you? Wasn't that you? And it seems that if you've come this far, you could live with that, which sounds like far more trouble than an open grill might cost. Buck up! You're a New Yorker! No half-eaten knish or NYC wharf rat in the grill can defeat you if you've come this far! You must be a daredevil and have 9 lives just to stay alive there, so proportionately, this doesn't sound like any larger of a risk than you've already mastered. If you can make it there there, you'd make it anywhere as the song goes.

At any rate, whatever you decide, thanks for reminding me once again to be grateful that I relocated decades ago!

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Well, I don't think it's really a rant. My posting has helped me because answers related to the 04 Cobra which didn't have a grill and didn't cause it's owners difficulties are the answers I was looking for when I made the post.

Then let me assure you, as I also owned both an 03, and an 04 cobra, I've never had a single issue with no grill, other than the above mentioned bugs, which weren't a big deal and easy to clean.

Panzerfaust

Established Member
I have an order in for a '13 at MSRP through Manhattan Ford about to be built. When the first pics of the 13 without the grill were posted, it seemed strange, but i didn't think about it much. When I went to the NY Auto Show specifically to see the '13 in person, it started to bother me a fair amount even though my order was already in. Now that there are posts about it on this forum, FordGT500 and Team Shelby, which are questioning both the difficulty of keeping the heat exchanger, etc clean and unobstructed and the potential problems of larger objects causing greater damage, I am bothered even more.

Living in Manhattan for the last 30 years, I have only had American performance cars. I deeply want this car and will probably trade in my beloved '04 Vette when I complete the purchase. But the last thing I want is problems related to the above. My Vette has been trouble and maintenance free for the last 8 years. To anticipate having to reach into the front facia to pick out bugs and debris every few times I drive the Shelby is ridiculous. I only have access to a hose in my garage where the car will be kept after 10pm. The lack of a grill offers an open invitation to every fool that walks by to stick a beer can, or whatever in that open space.

For guys that anticipate tracking the car, it is understandable why the need for maximum cooling would call for the lack of a grill. But for street use, this can't be necessary. Why didn't Ford offer the lack of a grill in the Track Pac option and a grill on the remainder of the cars. I am disappointed and may cancel my order. For those smarter than me, tell me why I am being a fool.

Thanks,
Ken

See my "coyote" post here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/845558-2013-aesthetics-2.html

If a car can absorb a coyote through the grill and keep going for 600+ miles, are you really worried about a rock? :rockon:

Kidding aside, as you can read from my post in that thread, I too am somewhat worried about the open grille. However, I have no doubt the aftermarket will spring into action to address any concerns.

To put it in perspective, you have no "screen" over your windshield. The glass is vulnerable to flying rocks, just as the paint is on your bumper/hood. Yet, how much sleep have you lost over that??

I was the orginal owner of a 2002 Z06 Corvette. Non-Corvette guys probably don't realize that the 2002 Z/06, one of the lightest Corvette's ever built, featured thinner windshield glass (compared to a regular Corvette) in order to save weight. In addition, this windshield had a special coating on the inside, to work with the HUD.

Shortly after I bought the car, one owner posted on Z06Vette.com that his windshield had been cracked by a rock and that there was NO aftermarket, Z-06 specific thin-glass, HUD-friendly windshield available. He ended up paying about $3,000 for a GM factory replacement windshield, to keep the car all-original. :uh oh:

I, of course, spent the next nine years that I owned my Z06 being paranoid that a rock chip would be $3,000 out of my pocket. It never happened.

At the end of the day, you can't sweat the details or you'll never take any $50k+ car out of the garage. Just imagine how a guy with a Ferrari Enzo feels when he takes his car out and inadvertently gets behind a dump truck hauling a load of gravel.... :cuss:

It's all relative, so get the 2013 and I'm sure an aftermarket fix for the open grill will be along shortly.....

reason4treason

Established Member
See my "coyote" post here:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/845558-2013-aesthetics-2.html

If a car can absorb a coyote through the grill and keep going for 600+ miles, are you really worried about a rock? :rockon:

Kidding aside, as you can read from my post in that thread, I too am somewhat worried about the open grille. However, I have no doubt the aftermarket will spring into action to address any concerns.

To put it in perspective, you have no "screen" over your windshield. The glass is vulnerable to flying rocks, just as the paint is on your bumper/hood. Yet, how much sleep have you lost over that??

I was the orginal owner of a 2002 Z06 Corvette. Non-Corvette guys probably don't realize that the 2002 Z/06, one of the lightest Corvette's ever built, featured thinner windshield glass (compared to a regular Corvette) in order to save weight. In addition, this windshield had a special coating on the inside, to work with the HUD.

Shortly after I bought the car, one owner posted on Z06Vette.com that his windshield had been cracked by a rock and that there was NO aftermarket, Z-06 specific thin-glass, HUD-friendly windshield available. He ended up paying about $3,000 for a GM factory replacement windshield, to keep the car all-original. :uh oh:

I, of course, spent the next nine years that I owned my Z06 being paranoid that a rock chip would be $3,000 out of my pocket. It never happened.

At the end of the day, you can't sweat the details or you'll never take any $50k+ car out of the garage. Just imagine how a guy with a Ferrari Enzo feels when he takes his car out and inadvertently gets behind a dump truck hauling a load of gravel.... :cuss:

It's all relative, so get the 2013 and I'm sure an aftermarket fix for the open grill will be along shortly.....

Not to spook the guy, but I live in the spinach fields of Cali and six months after I got my purchased-new '07 C6 Coupe I did get my winshield broken with a hurled rock from a pickup with big tires. I couldn't turn around in time and catch up to him/her, and the replaced windshield ( I do have headup display ) cost $1500. But........my insurance covered it, minus my deductible. Wouldn't it be the case, depending on coverage that this could be covered too? I could be wrong about that. Geico has glass coverage. Vandalism can be covered I believe but I'm not sure about road damage to the radiator etc from road hazards. Anybody know about ins coverage in general for such?

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
My '11s grill would not do much if something got kicked up, aka a rock, I look at it more as a way to hide minor hits to the radiator if needed. I do think it would be nice to have one on the '13 and will entertain buying one if the aftermarket makes something that you really can't see. I will not put an obvious aftermarket grill, I just don't like the non-stock look of most aftermarket grills.

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
Reason number 753 why I'll never live in a city: The nice things you own get ruined by d-bags.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
Get the car...I understand your concern, but don't deny yourself the chance to own this car because of the grill....or lack of a grill.

And while I agree that perhaps it should have been standard, and could have been deleted with the track pack (like the fog lights), I personally don't see it as that big of a deal. Certainly not enough to cancel your order.

Don't be surprised if the same people giving you a hard time on this thread will be bitching about the lack of a grill once they get their own cars :)

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I have 20,000 miles on my 03 Cobra with no problems. I wouldn't be worried about a lack of grill. Ford does a lot of testing with their cars so if there was something to worry about, they would have come across that problem and addressed it.

If you are still worried about it, then move out of the city. ;-)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Reason number 753 why I'll never live in a city: The nice things you own get ruined by d-bags.

You nailed it with laser-like accuracy.

Do you also worry about your tampon falling out when you stand up in the morning?

I missed the old Chuck when you dumped the GT500 for the GT. Good to see you still roll the same way. :p

speednutz

Established Member
I have an order in for a '13 at MSRP through Manhattan Ford about to be built. When the first pics of the 13 without the grill were posted, it seemed strange, but i didn't think about it much. When I went to the NY Auto Show specifically to see the '13 in person, it started to bother me a fair amount even though my order was already in. Now that there are posts about it on this forum, FordGT500 and Team Shelby, which are questioning both the difficulty of keeping the heat exchanger, etc clean and unobstructed and the potential problems of larger objects causing greater damage, I am bothered even more.

Living in Manhattan for the last 30 years, I have only had American performance cars. I deeply want this car and will probably trade in my beloved '04 Vette when I complete the purchase. But the last thing I want is problems related to the above. My Vette has been trouble and maintenance free for the last 8 years. To anticipate having to reach into the front facia to pick out bugs and debris every few times I drive the Shelby is ridiculous. I only have access to a hose in my garage where the car will be kept after 10pm. The lack of a grill offers an open invitation to every fool that walks by to stick a beer can, or whatever in that open space.

For guys that anticipate tracking the car, it is understandable why the need for maximum cooling would call for the lack of a grill. But for street use, this can't be necessary. Why didn't Ford offer the lack of a grill in the Track Pac option and a grill on the remainder of the cars. I am disappointed and may cancel my order. For those smarter than me, tell me why I am being a fool.

Thanks,
Ken

Don't let it bother you.
My Ranger has a little plastic in the front of the grille but it's mostly open.
To clean the grille I use one of those higher pressure car washes.
Personally I think it sucks too but not letting that stop me.

Users who are viewing this thread