Mechman/Billet-Tech Alternators

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Since installing the revised Welded Alt I have seen 15.3v I have tried 3 other meters just to confirm the voltage...Should I be concerned? Mechman install sheet I received with the first Alt said over 15v was over charging and could damage the AGM battery......Sometimes I see 15.6

Only the very first Alt from Mechman read a healthy 14.9 the last 2 have read over 15v

I am not sure if you have an Optima or not but they list the charging limit at 15.0 V. I would not exceed that IMO. If it's above that I would send it back. That's what I would do.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Finally tested mine today. 6lb lower 2.9" alt. pulley, 180 amp. unit. 86* ambient temps., 183*-188* coolant temps., overcast, AC on, Meziere IC pump on, LC1 wideband on, aeroforce gauges on, and radar detector on, just to give you an idea of load.

Heated the car up to 130* as usual went 2 miles and then stopped for gas where the previous alt. would already be nice and heat soaked. Started 'er back up and did a few laps on a road that has about 1 mi. between stop lights. I never saw below 13.7v on the Aeroforce gauge with the peak being 14.2v. Pulled in the garage, killed the AC, and tested the volts across the battery terminals at 14.65V!!! So far so good, my last 2 alts. couldn't even come close. The last unit put out a whopping 11.8v on the aeroforce under the same conditions and never over 13.1v!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Awesome to here Keith, I sent my Alt back to Mechman for some updates which they did for free for me!

Have you added or upgraded any of your grounds?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Awesome to here Keith, I sent my Alt back to Mechman for some updates which they did for free for me!

Have you added or upgraded any of your grounds?

What updates did they make? The one to the bracket, others? I did nothing with my OE grounds, just the 2 ga. ground wire from the BT to my neg. battery terminal. I thought about doing the same 2 ga. in lieu of the OE engine block ground.

What's everyone else doing?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
What updates did they make? The one to the bracket, others? I did nothing with my OE grounds, just the 2 ga. ground wire from the BT to my neg. battery terminal. I thought about doing the same 2 ga. in lieu of the OE engine block ground.

What's everyone else doing?

I had the mounts welded, stock size pulley and that one threaded mount drilled out so it won't be such a pita to install.

I upgraded the driver side engine mount to frame ground, added a engine mount to frame ground on the passenger side and I have swappd out the factory battery/starter/battery harness to 0 AWG wire. The only thing I'm missing is a added alternator to battery ground

Tractionless1

Established Member
I had the mounts welded, stock size pulley and that one threaded mount drilled out so it won't be such a pita to install.

I upgraded the driver side engine mount to frame ground, added a engine mount to frame ground on the passenger side and I have swappd out the factory battery/starter/battery harness to 0 AWG wire. The only thing I'm missing is a added alternator to battery ground

Mine is an updated unit then as all the above is already done. Is your alt. case powder coated? If so BT says it's not grounded through the alternator bracket and the alt. to battery ground is required, be careful!

What is the benefit of upgrading the OE grounds? Do you have a parts list?

Last edited:

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
Finally tested mine today. 6lb lower 2.9" alt. pulley, 180 amp. unit. 86* ambient temps., 183*-188* coolant temps., overcast, AC on, Meziere IC pump on, LC1 wideband on, aeroforce gauges on, and radar detector on, just to give you an idea of load.

Heated the car up to 130* as usual went 2 miles and then stopped for gas where the previous alt. would already be nice and heat soaked. Started 'er back up and did a few laps on a road that has about 1 mi. between stop lights. I never saw below 13.7v on the Aeroforce gauge with the peak being 14.2v. Pulled in the garage, killed the AC, and tested the volts across the battery terminals at 14.65V!!! So far so good, my last 2 alts. couldn't even come close. The last unit put out a whopping 11.8v on the aeroforce under the same conditions and never over 13.1v!

Thanks for the update Keith! My alternator went out again after some abuse at PBIR on Saturday. I think I'm just gonna skip the new Ford Racing unit and just get the Mechman unit.

Could anyone answer a couple questions for me though?

1. Should I be worried about the voltage being too high? The 14.65 you saw on the battery seems pretty dang up there. Is there any risk to our wiring/electrical systems?

2. I have a 4lb lower on my car, do I still need to run a larger pulley? My concern is with over spinning this unit and killing the alternator.

3. Is it worth adding the external regulator? I'm hoping this is the last alternator I'll ever need to buy.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
A lot of good reviews so far. Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Thanks for the update Keith! My alternator went out again after some abuse at PBIR on Saturday. I think I'm just gonna skip the new Ford Racing unit and just get the Mechman unit.

Could anyone answer a couple questions for me though?

1. Should I be worried about the voltage being too high? The 14.65 you saw on the battery seems pretty dang up there. Is there any risk to our wiring/electrical systems?

2. I have a 4lb lower on my car, do I still need to run a larger pulley? My concern is with over spinning this unit and killing the alternator.

3. Is it worth adding the external regulator? I'm hoping this is the last alternator I'll ever need to buy.

Ya I stay away from the track until it gets into the mid 60's. IMO the car just feels so much better when cold so why punish it for mediocre enjoyment?

1. I don't see an issue with my voltage at the battery. Look here as to why http://www.modularfords.com/threads/195589-Battery-Alternator-Voltage-effects

2. The pulley comes with the Mechman, you'd choose 2.5 or 2.9, go with the smaller.

3. At present time I don't see the need. If you had a big stereo with lots of power draw, I'd say pull the trigger on it. Keep in mind you can command more or less voltage in your tune as well.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Been gone for a bit but I just got home and opened my box. Mechman painted my alternator as well as change the pulley to an OEM size, welded the mounts and drilled out the threads in one of the mounting brackets. As to my surprise they added a nice looking thick AWG Ground wire free of charge!

Happy with there customer service. All I paid for was shipping my alternator back to them.

3FCCFDB0-4A95-4C5E-9BC0-0DABBBC2645D-1784-00000139E2378FB6_zps337033b6.jpg

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Been gone for a bit but I just got home and opened my box. Mechman painted my alternator as well as change the pulley to an OEM size, welded the mounts and drilled out the threads in one of the mounting brackets. As to my surprise they added a nice looking thick AWG Ground wire free of charge!

Happy with there customer service. All I paid for was shipping my alternator back to them.

3FCCFDB0-4A95-4C5E-9BC0-0DABBBC2645D-1784-00000139E2378FB6_zps337033b6.gif

Ya you need that wire now that the case is painted as it's no longer self grounding. Get 'er installed and post up your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread