Established Member
after a couple delays I should be logging mine this weekend

image_zps5c45f19e.jpg

Tractionless1

Established Member
after a couple delays I should be logging mine this weekend

image_zps5c45f19e.jpg

I couldn't wait any longer :p

Mine will be here and installed tomorrow. Hopefully testing by next weekend as I have the KC apart for updating as well.

So far so good with Fast Lane Auto Parts. I ordered thurs. 7/18 but there weren't any ready to ship. It was powder coated 7/24 and shipped 7/25. I contacted David to see if I could upgrade shipping to have it by Sat. 7/27. He noted with FedEx Saturday Home Delivery they typically arrive within 2 days between TN and FL. He said if I wanted to guarantee it we could upgrade the shipping service and he'd split it with me! That's great service right there, typically the proprietor won't fit any of the bill on upgrading. Nonetheless, the tracking says it will be here tomorrow.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I couldn't wait any longer :p

Mine will be here and installed tomorrow. Hopefully testing by next weekend as I have the KC apart for updating as well.

So far so good with Fast Lane Auto Parts. I ordered thurs. 7/18 but there weren't any ready to ship. It was powder coated 7/24 and shipped 7/25. I contacted David to see if I could upgrade shipping to have it by Sat. 7/27. He noted with FedEx Saturday Home Delivery they typically arrive within 2 days between TN and FL. He said if I wanted to guarantee it we could upgrade the shipping service and he'd split it with me! That's great service right there, typically the proprietor won't fit any of the bill on upgrading. Nonetheless, the tracking says it will be here tomorrow.

haha...I know its taken alot longer than i had hoped but the main issue was out of my hands and has been rectified by Mechman / Billet tech.

I fired up my car last night and instantly was seeing 14.8 volts

Tractionless1

Established Member
haha...I know its taken alot longer than i had hoped but the main issue was out of my hands and has been rectified by Mechman / Billet tech.

I'd like to see what you get when hot. I'd see at best 14.2v with the S&T and before I'd get out of the driveway after letting the car heat to 120* it would be 13.7 and fall from there typically to 12.5-12.8.

Did you get the 240a? Thought I ordered it, checked my receipt, and come to find out I screwed up and ordered the 170a :nonono: On the fence about what to do now as it's installed. The only auxiliaries I run is a tiny 200w Infinity Basslink amp., Aeroforce tech. gauges, digital N20 pressure gauge, BAP @ +20% (until the return system goes in), Twin Foci pumps, and of course the rest of the stock stuff. What ya think?

About to go return system with twin Walbro Improved GT pumps in lieu of the Foci and BAP. Not sure if I have enough amps now.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I got my 170a alternator today. Its loosly bolted in. Before I lock everything down, a couple questions.
Did you have to clearance the lower mounting bracket? I did not.
Alternator came with a small spacer. Did you use it?
Mine also came with a short plug adapter but it doesn't have the small blue pigtail as shown in the above pics.
I wasn't expecting the seperate ground cable. Did you run that to the positive battery terminal?

Tractionless1

Established Member
I got my 170a alternator today. Its loosly bolted in. Before I lock everything down, a couple questions.
Did you have to clearance the lower mounting bracket? I did not.
Alternator came with a small spacer. Did you use it?
Mine also came with a short plug adapter but it doesn't have the small blue pigtail as shown in the above pics.
I wasn't expecting the seperate ground cable. Did you run that to the positive battery terminal?

No clearancing needed on mine.

Yes I used the spacer between the alt. bracket and the alt. housing on the lower mounting hole. There was a space equal to the spacer included as denoted in a post in this thread.

I have a plug adapter with a plug to the alt. on one end and another to the car harness plug on the other. Plugged right in no issues.

NOOOOOO you run it to the negative battery terminal as the directions state. :read:

No clearancing needed on mine.

Yes I used the spacer between the alt. bracket and the alt. housing on the lower mounting hole. There was a space equal to the spacer included as denoted in a post in this thread.

I have a plug adapter with a plug to the alt. on one end and another to the car harness plug on the other. Plugged right in no issues.

NOOOOOO you run it to the negative battery terminal as the directions state. :read:

I why does the Mechman need a separate ground cable running to the negative battery terminal?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I'd like to see what you get when hot. I'd see at best 14.2v with the S&T and before I'd get out of the driveway after letting the car heat to 120* it would be 13.7 and fall from there typically to 12.5-12.8.

Did you get the 240a? Thought I ordered it, checked my receipt, and come to find out I screwed up and ordered the 170a :nonono: On the fence about what to do now as it's installed. The only auxiliaries I run is a tiny 200w Infinity Basslink amp., Aeroforce tech. gauges, digital N20 pressure gauge, BAP @ +20% (until the return system goes in), Twin Foci pumps, and of course the rest of the stock stuff. What ya think?

About to go return system with twin Walbro Improved GT pumps in lieu of the Foci and BAP. Not sure if I have enough amps now.

no I have a 170...your voltage is similar to what I had with the ebay unit....down the track was 12.8 to 13.8. Im now maxing out the SCT software at idle at 15.9 which is awesome....the fuel pump seems happy

sonic cobra

Established Member
Got everything done except the connection for the ground cable. Did you connect directly tothe negative battery terminal and if so how did you make the connection?

keith89

Established Member
Got my 170A unit. Pretty badass. Of course my car starts having running issues before I can install it. I'm benching my car until the fall when I can take a week off to look into the issues I'm having. ugh!

Tractionless1

Established Member
no I have a 170...your voltage is similar to what I had with the ebay unit....down the track was 12.8 to 13.8. Im now maxing out the SCT software at idle at 15.9 which is awesome....the fuel pump seems happy

I haven't fired it up yet but if I'm 13v and up under WOT on the track I'll be happy at that is what my battery typically tests at. Considering at the most the only additions that will be on at the track are the Aeroforce gauges, aftermarket pumps, and N20 pressure gauge, and possibly the parking lights at night I should be good to go based on your previous findings with a lesser quality alternator. I bet your voltages would have been even better with a 6g unit (Billet Tech) due to running cooler. I'm sure you std. 160a unit was seeing heat soak. BTW I retained my cooling duct with the Billet Tech. that I was using with the S&T.

Got everything done except the connection for the ground cable. Did you connect directly tothe negative battery terminal and if so how did you make the connection?

Just get another copper 1/0 battery lug like the one that came on the positive terminal on the BT alt. I backed out the bolt on the OEM neg. battery harness sandwiched the terminal in and fed the bolt back through all.

Tractionless1

Established Member

10-4 no complaints, just letting everyone know you were very helpful in getting it to me asap. :beer:

Thanks for answering the questions fellas. Sure hope you guys get a significant amount of miles from the Mechmans. I appreciate you guys being the pioneers, as they've taken fitment and quality issues seriously and have delivered what appears to be a phenomenal alternator option. But I am hoping my Ford Racing alternator works your Mechman, for obvious reasons.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Billet tech alt installed. Aeroforce guage is reading 13.6 - 13.8 at idle with accessories off. With lights, radio, ac on holding at 13.5- 13.8

Users who are viewing this thread