Meteor shower tonight.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
Strong Meteor Shower Expected Tonight - Yahoo! News

The annual Perseid meteor shower is expected to put on a good show this week for those willing to get up in the wee hours of the morning and wait patiently for the shooting stars.

In North America, the best time to watch will be between midnight to 5 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 12, but late Tuesday night and also Wednesday night could prove fruitful, weather permitting

I am not working and have trouble sleeping so I will be looking.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I saw two this morning around 5:45 in Houston, Texas.

Jim Snover

Jefe

Established Member
I missed it but:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZanXpEFpFI"]YouTube - D90 Time Lapse: Meteor Shower Night Sky in Frazier Park, CA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqn4SwglCBg"]YouTube - Perseid Meteor Shower 2009 by John Chumack (slower version)[/ame]

whiplash306

Established Member
Saw 18 in 30 minutes...a few real nice ones as well....sweet smoke trails! Stayed out till a hair past 0200 Central time. Would've stayed longer, but the dang moon really started to bleach the sky. Venus is awesome lately too! Gah, I love this amateur naked-eye astronomy stuff. Very humbling...!

03DOHC

Established Member
Saw 18 in 30 minutes...a few real nice ones as well....sweet smoke trails! Stayed out till a hair past 0200 Central time. Would've stayed longer, but the dang moon really started to bleach the sky. Venus is awesome lately too! Gah, I love this amateur naked-eye astronomy stuff. Very humbling...!
If you're talking about the really bright planet to the south that should be Jupiter. If you have a pair of binoculars you can even see its moons pretty easily.

03DOHC

Established Member
I just came in and saw around 5 with one really bright one. We were fogged in last night so I couldn't see squat.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sky was too cloudy so you couldn't see a thing. Thanks for posting the videos, though. At least I got to see what I missed. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread