Michelin Pilot Super Sports. DO IT

Wharf Rat

Established Member
I have em. Great DD tire but they stink if i lay into it. Just like the Goodyears. Could be all the powah! If i had to do it over again, first thing i'd get is R888 or NT05r for the rears. Then again i'm in FLA so cold not an issue.

I've had MPSS on order for a few weeks but I'm going in tomorrow and canceling them. This car needs DRs. Thinking of going with Mickeys...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Nt05r are on national backorder i think. 555r might be a good option for the 1/2 mile too

DTD recently got some NT05Rs in. 315/35/20 at least.

i think theyre changing the mpss which is why theyre on back order. they seem to change them a little every year.

i just put 285/35/20 and 295/35/20 mpss on my car. took it to the road course this past weekend. they impressed the hell out of me with how much grip they have. only broke loose once on a super tight turn where i ****ed up lol.

but i also only have 578rwhp. for more than 600 you pretty much need DR. R888 work great too, up to a point. at really high levels those will spin.

just put some MTs on a set of 20s for a customer with a 14.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I have em. Great DD tire but they stink if i lay into it. Just like the Goodyears. Could be all the powah! If i had to do it over again, first thing i'd get is R888 or NT05r for the rears. Then again i'm in FLA so cold not an issue.

Totally agree. Had the MPSS, R888, and now 555R's on my car. MPSS was better than goodyears, but no where near as good as R888 for traction. Better in rain though. 555R hook solid from a stop in first, only tire so far that does that for me. Keep in mind I am not at stock sizes though (had 315/30/20 and 315/35/20 in the MPSS and R888, got 305/45/18 in the 555R).

ReapeR948

FOXDIE
Established Member

Good point, but I do drive in all conditions, and R888s with their lack of any real tread are awful in rain/slick, I'd rather not.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Good point, but I do drive in all conditions, and R888s with their lack of any real tread are awful in rain/slick, I'd rather not.

I owned them and drove them daily, even in rain, and they aren't 'awful' in the rain. Certainly a world away from Nittos in the rain, and never scared me (I put a car under a semi in the rain in Nittos before).

Gr8shelby

Established Member
I have the MPSS on order for my 2014 and was told it could be 4 to 10 weeks before they ship. Those of you running the R888 s or the NT05r s what are you running on the front....the stock GY s ?? Thanks.

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
I think I'm going to just change the rear rotors out to a 2012 and run a MT ET street pro in a 275/60/15 for short trips to the track and run R888 out back for DD.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I have the MPSS on order for my 2014 and was told it could be 4 to 10 weeks before they ship. Those of you running the R888 s or the NT05r s what are you running on the front....the stock GY s ?? Thanks.

I run the r888's with the Proxy sports up front, no issues at all. Don't know what that other dude was talking about in the rain unless he was driving on bald tires.... The r888's get great marks/reviews on the track in the rain!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think I'm going to just change the rear rotors out to a 2012 and run a MT ET street pro in a 275/60/15 for short trips to the track and run R888 out back for DD.
Good choice on the 275 Pro its a bad mother.
Might want to wait till spring, I'm going to PRI next weekend and will be talking to MT on their announced new ET Street line for larger sizes.
Same compound as the Pro
Google their 2014 SEMA debut, I'd like to run a nice 17" and keep the stock rear brakes.
-J

Sparko

Established Member
I made the exact change over to the MPSS 275/295 at 3,000 miles on my 13 Black Vert....incredible difference. I wish Ford made these tires an option.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Anybody used or uses the MPSS in 305 30 R20?

Manuel

Think that would hurt you buddy, the short sidewall will give less straight-line traction and also increase gear ratio--a good thing if you have a competition tire.
Any reason you don't want to try the R888 or a DR?
At you're power level, the difference should blow your mind.
-J

ThomasL

Established Member

Same setup i'm running now. Billett Pro Shop rear brake kit, 15 inch darkstars and 275/60/15 ET Street Pro. Hook city.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Same setup i'm running now. Billett Pro Shop rear brake kit, 15 inch darkstars and 275/60/15 ET Street Pro. Hook city.

Agreed---for the cost you can't beat that. Hell, I'm thinking of swapping rear brakes and wheels for serious track days, the BPS set-up perfect for that.
Still, unless you've bought already (or are like the lucky bastards ThomasL and Manuel who can be enjoying their cars right now :( ), might want to wait and see MTs new line-up for '15.
Any info I get at PRI this week, I'll post soon.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread