Mobile 1 5W50 VOA

jcthorne

Established Member
I need to see if I can find a VOA for Shell Rotella T6 5W40. Very highly regarded in diesel and v-twin bikes. I use a lot of it so its always around. Would be interesting to see where it falls against these 5W50s.

tommy s

Established Member
No problem. Here we go....

5W-50comparisonchart.gif

This is what you seek.

So the ford oil is better than the castrol oil ?

CRAWDAD

Established Member
A value of around 8% seemed to ring a bell despite Mobil keeping that info somewhat secretive. Did find this somewhere on the internet (although it's from Amsoil & I can't validate its' accuracy):

NoackVolatility.jpg

The Zn & P levels look real good - even better than the 5w30 High-Mileage that I use (which is an SL by the way). Maybe I need to do a VOA of the HM stuff...

No problem. Here we go....

5W-50comparisonchart.gif

This is what you seek.
I don't see Royal Purple on either of these charts! Thought they were one of the best too!

Ray Lucca

Established Member
R.P. doesn't make a 5W/50 Full Synthetic. Some are switching to 10W/40 or 15W/50. If you want to stay with 5/50, your choices are RedLine, M.C., Castrol, Mobil1 [If you can find it], Pennzoil [I think], and??...Check with Troy, he can give you the skinny on Oil for our Cars.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
As many posts there are on this subject I have not noticed any 2010/2011 specific posts. (If there are I apologize because I completely missed them) My question is: Does anything in the above posts or discussions on oil brand/weight change because of the aluminum block engine and the Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) liner coating.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
As many posts there are on this subject I have not noticed any 2010/2011 specific posts. (If there are I apologize because I completely missed them) My question is: Does anything in the above posts or discussions on oil brand/weight change because of the aluminum block engine and the Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) liner coating.

Nope, the requirements for the 2011 aluminum block are the same as 2007-2010 iron block. Anything posted about the 5.4L, no matter the year, you can use the info for your car as well.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Thanks. I just want to make sure I am tracking all of this info. Basically, MC5W-50 shears down to 30 weight way before 7500 miles and drops to 40 weight before approx 2000miles. Meaning, to really maintain your engine you would need to change your oil a lot more frequently. Using Amsoil 40 or 50 weight does not shear in as short of period of time but when it does it maintains that weight longer. ie MC 5W-50 will shear to 40 weight sooner and prob go into the 30 weight rainge soon after that and based on the fact the the MC oil is going to 40 weight why not start with that weight and with an oil that can maintain that weight for a longer time meaning less oil changes thus saving money. I just want to make sure I completely understand these facts and hope I am not looking too much into it but if saves money in the long run and the all of the UOA seem to point to MC shearing down in weight this really does make a lot sense.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks. I just want to make sure I am tracking all of this info. Basically, MC5W-50 shears down to 30 weight way before 7500 miles and drops to 40 weight before approx 2000miles. Meaning, to really maintain your engine you would need to change your oil a lot more frequently. Using Amsoil 40 or 50 weight does not shear in as short of period of time but when it does it maintains that weight longer. ie MC 5W-50 will shear to 40 weight sooner and prob go into the 30 weight rainge soon after that and based on the fact the the MC oil is going to 40 weight why not start with that weight and with an oil that can maintain that weight for a longer time meaning less oil changes thus saving money. I just want to make sure I completely understand these facts and hope I am not looking too much into it but if saves money in the long run and the all of the UOA seem to point to MC shearing down in weight this really does make a lot sense.

You HAVE been reading my posts, and have it understood very well. PM me if you ever have a question for your application.

Dude that chick is HOT

I know! Makes me not miss Shay Laren now. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread