Mobile 1 5W50 VOA

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
After reading that I am so tempted to put some K-Mart oil in an Amsoil container and send it to OAI. I'll be honest, I trust some of the labs as much as I would trust some blood testing labs.

I work with concrete testing labs quite often. I couldn't believe it when I found out who did the testing (any of the summer interns if they don't have a job to send them to) as I often wondered why some of the concrete cylinders that were broken had been rated at some ridiculous number, thus (hopefully) the reason for taking multiple cylinders.

Slabo

Established Member
Did you run an oil analysis when you ran it in your previous vehicles? One thing about these threads is that some of us want "the best" and do an oil analysis every X amount of miles on the oil to find out how long we can go between changes as well as get the best protection. Users will even run different brands/weights to find the answer.

Others just want an oil that is "sufficient" to protect the motor so that it operates as intended by Ford - they usually don't run any oil analysis tests and stick with either Ford oil or a less expensive brand that "meets specs".

Other factors that come into play are driving style, racing, where you live (heat/cold/dusty/etc), and mods to the car.

In my experiences, Mobil 1 stopped offering the best protection long before other oils thus I won't run it in this car until someone throws up an oil analysis that shows it out performs Redline and Amsoil. Others will choose to run the Mobil 1 if it is merely sufficient.

From my perspective, these threads are not about bashing one oil over the next, hurting feelings, or any other drama. They are to show the results of an oil analysis and take out the opinion factor. I, personally, don't care what brand performs the best - all I care is about finding the answer. Still, people troll in with the drama and opinions thus mucking up the thread....but that is what the ignore feature takes care of.

Evasive that is making to much sense for an oil thread. Now bring on the drama. I think my feelings are hurt. :-D

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Sure, Mobil 1 looks pretty good here, but it's only a 5W-30 viscosity. As the viscosity spread increases (i.e. 5W-50) the NOACK % will increase. 8% for Mobil 1 (5W-30/10W-30) would be about there lowest NOACK, as where 8% for Amsoil (AZO 0W-30) would be their highest.

and yes, a VOA on Mobil 1 High Mileage oils would be great.

Just sent a sample to Blackstone, so a VOA of the M1 HM 5W30 should be up very soon...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
After reading that I am so tempted to put some K-Mart oil in an Amsoil container and send it to OAI. I'll be honest, I trust some of the labs as much as I would trust some blood testing labs.

I work with concrete testing labs quite often. I couldn't believe it when I found out who did the testing (any of the summer interns if they don't have a job to send them to) as I often wondered why some of the concrete cylinders that were broken had been rated at some ridiculous number, thus (hopefully) the reason for taking multiple cylinders.

Tob, if you recall, I sent a sample of Amsoil 20W-50 to both labs. The reason was to debunk the myth that OAI was biased towards Amsoil, and would fudge the numbers to make it look better than it actually was. Well, I proved it was a myth, and for those who missed it....check out the link below.

Amsoil 20W-50 UOA here - Both labs included

Ray Lucca

Established Member
If you want to stay with 5w/50, Redline is the clear choice, imo. If you decide to change weight there are lots of robust full synthetic choices. Troy can you re-post that 5W/50 Oil Comparison chart from a few months back?? Lots of great info. there....Thanx..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
No problem. Here we go....

5W-50comparisonchart.gif

This is what you seek.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Got the VOA back today for the Mobil1 High-Mileage 5W30 (SL). Also splurged for the TBN. The Zn & P levels weren't as high as I thought, but should be nothing to worry about.

Edit: Using this in my 55,000 mile Aviator & 18,000 mile Cobra.

VOA_M1_HM5W30.jpg

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
the TBN looks GREAT, although it's a bit higher than other labs would report, but still great.

Why have a lubricant that is API SL, yet the ZDDP is API SN?

Damn Mobil 1, you have failed me AGAIN! Well that just took M1 high mileage off my list.

Thanks for the VOA, I learned something today.

Last edited:

09shelby

08KR0911
If you want to stay with 5w/50, Redline is the clear choice, imo. If you decide to change weight there are lots of robust full synthetic choices. Troy can you re-post that 5W/50 Oil Comparison chart from a few months back?? Lots of great info. there....Thanx..

Which oil filter are you guys using?

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
the TBN looks GREAT, although it's a bit higher than other labs would report, but still great.

Why have a lubricant that is API SL, yet the ZDDP is API SN?

Damn Mobil 1, you have failed me AGAIN! Well that just took M1 high mileage off my list.

Thanks for the VOA, I learned something today.

Saw another VOA of the HM stuff not too long ago (a 10w30) and the P & Zn levels were right about at the 900 & 1000 levels that Mobil1 specifies. I'm not sure why this one came in low. Might have to shoot Mobil an e-mail and inquire. In any case, using it just fine for now. Neglected to get a UOA last time, but will end up doing one eventually...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Saw another VOA of the HM stuff not too long ago (a 10w30) and the P & Zn levels were right about at the 900 & 1000 levels that Mobil1 specifies. I'm not sure why this one came in low. Might have to shoot Mobil an e-mail and inquire. In any case, using it just fine for now. Neglected to get a UOA last time, but will end up doing one eventually...

6 Speed had another VOA sample of another oil that tested low ZDDP, but tested in the normal range after the UOA.

Blackstone throws out some weird anomalies.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
6 Speed had another VOA sample of another oil that tested low ZDDP, but tested in the normal range after the UOA.

Blackstone throws out some weird anomalies.

Yeah, just realized the other OA I had was actually a UOA, not a VOA. The Zn & P levels (M1 10W30 HM) were actually higher than the Mobil spec. Maybe the next sample that goes to Blackstone will be a bit more "normal"!

Users who are viewing this thread