Mod motors dominate the Engine Masters Challenge

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en...msoil_engine_masters_challenge_final_results/

I attended Thursday's dyno sessions as part of Jon Kaase's team. He contacted me for some ideas back in January becuase he knew nothing about these engines and after a few months of conversations he put together and engine that scored the highest score ever at the EMC...he's an engine building genius.

His engine is a 5.4 based, 409 ci (3.720" x 4.7") with 11.5:1 compression and some serious headers.

I met John Mihovetz and some other big names in the industry it was good to be me on Thursday.

Last edited:

03Steve

Established Member
Wow, congratulations Todd! Didn't know you were involved with the Kaase team. Now tell us the cam specs and Centerlines! lol

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Must have been very exciting to be around all those engine geniuses! You're doing something right Todd when Jon Kaase asks you for input/help on a mod build of this caliber.

BMR Tech

So, they question is.....if one were to have some super deep pockets - can the dimensions of that engine be reliable, Todd?

We all know that there are many engine building "tricks" - so we know the average Joe building a 409" 4V with 11.5:1 CR, would likely not make within 60-80 HP of that specific Kaase masterpiece.

So in short, can a 3.72" X 4.7" Modular Engine be reliable in a street/strip application?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
So, they question is.....if one were to have some super deep pockets - can the dimensions of that engine be reliable, Todd?

We all know that there are many engine building "tricks" - so we know the average Joe building a 409" 4V with 11.5:1 CR, would likely not make within 60-80 HP of that specific Kaase masterpiece.

So in short, can a 3.72" X 4.7" Modular Engine be reliable in a street/strip application?

supposedly they took 100 horses @ peak power out of it to give it a better power curve for the competition.

BMR Tech

They definitely took some power out of peak, for sure...

As for 100, that seems a little excessive. BES made 775 peak with their Sullivan. I know Kaase is a bad mofo, but I am not quite sure he was making 830HP from the Sullivan intake, compared to 730 from the Cobra R. I could be wrong, but, I don't think the 730 HP combo would outscore the same combo, at 830 HP. I could surely see a 760-780 combo not scoring as high with a Sullivan, though (as seen by BES combo making 775, but not scoring higher than Kaase)

Brutal Metal

Established Member
2013 AMSOIL Engine Masters Challenge Final Results - Popular Hot Rodding

I attended Thursday's dyno sessions as part of Jon Kaase's team. He contacted me for some ideas back in January becuase he knew nothing about these engines and after a few months of conversations he put together and engine that scored the highest score ever at the EMC...he's an engine building genius.

His engine is a 5.4 based, 409 ci (3.720" x 4.7") with 11.5:1 compression and some serious headers.

I met John Mihovetz and some other big names in the industry it was good to be me on Thursday.

Cool! Yeah that was a Great Showing SO MANY Bow Tie guys on various sites are talking So Much smack and giving excuses:D I thought John's 1st pull was the highest recorded score and Kaase's motor won the overall?:coolman:

Brutal Metal

Established Member

To answer your question in Mass Production HELL NO TOO Much Stroke and the builders would agree although it's fun to put one together and rip out the insane numbers they did N/A:rockon:

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Seems it atleast shows the potential of what a Mod motor would be capable of if Ford would've built a large cubic inch version but damn that would've been a massive engine!

BMR Tech

To answer your question in Mass Production HELL NO TOO Much Stroke and the builders would agree although it's fun to put one together and rip out the insane numbers they did N/A:rockon:

What does "too much" stroke mean? Why would a 6500-7000 max RPM engine with what we will call, "super-stroke" not be reliable for a limited street, but more strip car?

I guess my question, or a better question, would be - how much stroke can someone run in a reliable N/A 5.4 based engine. Surely more than the factory, already large stroke.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
something ford has yet to rectify in the performance aspect. alternative the 6.2l it been real nice if the 4.6l used a bore size of at least 3.900'' in the first place.

3.900x3.555 = 353 that would be a real nice engine to make very reliable street power past 430hp with a good set of 2v ohc heads, throw a set of 4v heads on that sucker and 500 is attainable even under 7000RPM.
that engine would of made a real nice dual purpose truck/car V8.

But instead Ford said "nah lets give our new OHC motor a tiny 3.55" bore and call it a day"

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Wow, congratulations Todd! Didn't know you were involved with the Kaase team. Now tell us the cam specs and Centerlines! lol

PM'ing ya. The duration is unbelieveably mild by comparison to some that I've seen in 4.6s.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Too much stroke? Why's that? I seem to remember a bore/stroke thread on one of the forums...this kills the "stroke opponenets" theories. Also, Kaase's other engine's bore was sleeved down to achieve 409ci.

Cool! Yeah that was a Great Showing SO MANY Bow Tie guys on various sites are talking So Much smack and giving excuses:D I thought John's 1st pull was the highest recorded score and Kaase's motor won the overall?:coolman:

John M. had the highest 3 run average in qualifying (2928) while Kaase had the highest single scoring single pull (2939.2). In the finals Kaase's average was 30 points (2961.7) higher than Mihovetz's average.

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
Nice I was following this on FB and posted on here about it....cool to see someone on here was involved. Any more info on the motor?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I guess my question, or a better question, would be - how much stroke can someone run in a reliable N/A 5.4 based engine. Surely more than the factory, already large stroke.

I would not be afraid to run a 4.7" stroke in a 7000rpm engine. Kaase's engine routinely went to 7300 during the competition and sounded damn good there.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Nice I was following this on FB and posted on here about it....cool to see someone on here was involved. Any more info on the motor?

-11.5:1 CR per the rules
-Cobra R heads (same as GT500s)
-Cobra R intake with stock upper
-Cams--I can't disclose the specs
-stroke 4.7"
-bore 3.720"

Thats about it, it's a very simple, but expensive combination given that the crank was $4k and the BB block is about $6k. The heads are another $2k bare, add springs and valves at another $1.2k. The cams aren't your normal off the shelf grinds so they cost more than the average $1200 set. Then there's the $1000 lower intake and $2000 upper. The total is $17,400 before pistons, rods, bearings, gaskets, custom oil pan, TB, timing chains/tensioners, adjsutable cam gears, valve cover modded for distributor, and of course those awesome headers. The total without labor is probably near $20k. Oh, then there's the FAST engine management system...it just keeps adding up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread