Motor mount replacement

pbeechner

Established Member
Hey guys, so I found out that my drivers' side motor mount is completely broken and the passenger side isn't doing too hot either. Stock factory rubber at 200,000 miles....not surprised. I ordered the replacement mounts from AM and now have a question on the install. I have the support bar from harbor freight, and the shop manual I have says I need an engine lifting bracket. I gathered this myself since I saw nowhere particularly secure to attach the hoist to when I looked at the motor. The shop manual has two part numbers (303-D088, and D93P-6001-A2). Two part question:

1) Do I need this and if so, where to get it?

2) Is there one for each side of the motor? It looks in the pictures as if the bracket bolts to the drivers' side head below the valve cover but I can't tell if there is one for each side.

Thanks a lot!

leegro1015

Established Member
The drivers side head has a threaded hole near the front then i just took one of the bolts out where the A/C compressor attaches to the block as my other location on the passanger side. Then just tighten up the chains then get to work.

pbeechner

Established Member

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
May be a dumb question but according to my Haynes manual all you need to do is jack up the engine under the crankshaft damper?

I'm sure it's not the preferred method but that would work won't it? I'm considering changing my mounts out as well.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You probably won't find the factory support bars (although having a connection at the Ford Romeo plant helps), they are very rare. The bolt size you are looking for is on the schematic...

EngineLiftBrackets.jpg

pbeechner

Established Member
You probably won't find the factory support bars (although having a connection at the Ford Romeo plant helps), they are very rare. The bolt size you are looking for is on the schematic...

Thanks!! I think I will use bolts on each head to attach the chains to and support the motor. If that doesn't work, I'll just support it by the alternator bolts.

Thanks guys!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Thanks!! I think I will use bolts on each head to attach the chains to and support the motor. If that doesn't work, I'll just support it by the alternator bolts.

Thanks guys!

Glad I scored a set of the Ford lift bars a while back - they are gold for sure.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
When I swapped k-members, I backed out the alternator bolts and used those as support points, never had an issue. While the k-member was out I put in new OEM engine mounts, didn't make sense not to since everything was so accessible.

pbeechner

Established Member
When I swapped k-members, I backed out the alternator bolts and used those as support points, never had an issue. While the k-member was out I put in new OEM engine mounts, didn't make sense not to since everything was so accessible.

Did you remove the alternator completely?? Those two bottom bolts don't look particularly accessible otherwise. I'm worried about the strength of those bolts to raise the motor .5" but hopefully it will be fine.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I just supported the engine on a Harbor Freight support bar using idler pulley bolts. I have done this on my 03 and 96 with no ill effects.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
I personally have used the lower alternator bolt location, I went and got a higher grade bolt(10.9 I think) to use for this process. Using this location goes into the block, which is strong and trust worthy. Please don't use bolt locations that go into a thin cast timing cover, I sure wouldn't trust my life on the strength of the timing cover.

Use both holes and use washers/spacers to make sure the bolt is tight with the chain.

Last edited:

pbeechner

Established Member
Yeah I was thinking about getting some 10.9 bolts to use, anyone know the size and threads of those? I don't want to have to stop right after taking off the alternator to go to the hardware store.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I left the alternator in, just backed the bolts out enough to put a hook and chain around them. You'd really have to put a quick, precise, and extremely heavy load on those bolts for them to fail. No worries.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I made this from some 2x4's I had in the garage, and picked up some industrial chain and hooks from Lowe's. The popular Harbor Freight engine support wasn't in stock at my local store and I didn't feel like ordering and waiting for it. The engine didn't move an inch, will be using the same setup when I swap in a different k-member at some point down the road.

14991_1330134365909_6094551_n.jpg

pbeechner

Established Member
Hey guys, is there a trick to getting to the rear nut on the passenger side mount with the alternator in the way? I'm also struggling to get to the top front nut on the driver's side mount. I have the engine raised about 1/2" and the k-member nuts off.

Any help is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread