Motortrend: 2016 Mustang GT vs. 2016 Camaro SS

wckdvnm

Established Member
Nobody ever realizes Chevy pays the bills at motortrend lol all their YouTube videos or adds are usually about Chevys or GM products. I honestly don't care for the GT and below, really only like the "Ford performance" products (a.k.a "SVT" R.I.P). I feel that yes the mustang is nicer inside and has more visibility but the numbers don't lie. Sure real world would probably be closer but it would still end bad for the GT since it is down on power. Just MHO and that's coming from a die hard mustang guy.

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
I actually really like the Chevy Camaro SS, but I won't buy one. I think if it was lowered with the right wheels and stance, it would look very aggressive. I also like Chevy's approach: a larger 6.2L motor, still utilizing the pushrod. The pushrod always sounds so much better than the DOHC motors.

I still prefer the '16 Mustang GT w/ the PP. Visually, the car looks amazing from most front angles, but it has a few wierd rear angles that I have not warmed up to. Of course I have yet to see a GT350 with the Track Package, or a GT350R - so we will see, but so far, in my opinion, Ford almost nailed this new generation design, but the rear is just too soft and feminine in my opinion. I still think the 03/04 Cobra was the last real, aggressive looking and balanced looking car from front to back.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I've been saying this from the beginning.... Thank you Ford for adding weight to our Mustang. Look at the weights.... The mustang is now the heavy weight!! The Camaro dusts it across the board!!!!! In fact the camaros numbers are very close to the regular GT350.......
Ford = dropped the ball!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Like it or not, the new Camaro is the winner, performance wise.....for now. I'm not at all surprised by the performance numbers difference in the article. The 2016 Camaro SS is lighter than the 2016 Mustang GT by 153 lbs. (we knew the new Camaro shed 236 lbs. over the 2015) while holding a 455/455 vs. 435/400 power/torque edge. Quality nod goes to the Mustang, which is also not surprising. Now it is Ford's turn to plan/work to up the ante to bring back the factory performance crown to the GT. Ya gotta love the continued Mustang vs. Camaro battle. Either one you pick should put a big smile on your face. JMO. :rockon:

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Like it or not, the new Camaro is the winner, performance wise.....for now. I'm not at all surprised by the performance numbers difference in the article. The 2016 Camaro SS is lighter than the 2016 Mustang GT by 153 lbs. (we knew the new Camaro shed 236 lbs. over the 2015) while holding a 455/455 vs. 435/400 power/torque edge. Quality nod goes to the Mustang, which is also not surprising. Now it is Ford's turn to plan/work to up the ante to bring back the factory performance crown to the GT. Ya gotta love the continued Mustang vs. Camaro battle. Either one you pick should put a big smile on your face. JMO. :rockon:
Always spot on bob :beer:

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
looking at the numbers, a drivers race in the real world with the nod to the camaro. but id expect the camaro to come out swing after getting it ass drug from 2010 to now.

Lighter with 20 and 55 more HP/TQ does not equal drivers race.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
I TOTALLY AGREE !!! That was my first thought when i saw the weight and power numbers for the 2016 Camaro SS. I also was thinking ...When the 2015 Mustang was introduced , how can Team-Mustang not improve on the performance of the COYOTE powered S550 ??!! The S197 was quicker in most tests !!! They knew TEAM-CAMARO was coming with a lighter Platform and a LT-1 powerplant !!!!!

D1984

Whining
Established Member
Taking a closer look at it, the Camaro would look a lot better if you blacked out the rear reflectors and added a z/28 style rear spoiler instead of that hideous wing that looks like it came off a Honda Accord. And a front splitter

MWR

YWSOTD
Established Member
The new Camaro is going to hurt alot of brand loyalists feelings. Car guys will respect it.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
I was about to say, aren't coyote guys trapping that stock in the real world? Not much of a beat down if a mag rag can finally match the mustangs real world times.

Just another fail comparo by a rag mag. Just like they discounted the gt500 but we all knew what's up.

So if the real world numbers are better for the Coyote than the mag numbers, aren't we to assume the Camaro numbers will be as well?

MysticRob

Established Member
Not impressed at all with the Mustang's results considering the years Ford had over GM in development time across their entire vehicle line post-GM-bankruptcy. Since then, GM managed to produce the awesome new 'vette and this lighter/faster Camaro, not to mention the brilliant Caddy the 'maro is based on.

Ford needs to expand that new deal they made with Alcoa and crank out much lighter 'Stang chassis and body panels asap to get it down to fighting weight. Between the weight difference and the extra hp/tq the Camaro puts out, half a second quicker to 60mph and in the 1/4 sounds about right. Well done, GM.

Ford should also use a comparable displacement engine (they're giving up 74ci to the Camaro) with Ti-VCT to swing it back in their favor.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
i don't get this mentality. my car taps 119, and its got the stock ford filter in the stock air box. some of you are acting like the camaro is trapping 155 and the 5.0 is trapping 89.

and FI coyotes trap 125-140. lol. i get being exicted as a chevy fan but come on.

like mentioned before i look forward to actual owners racing each other to see how these two stack up. neither car stays stock for long. this aint camry vs accord even if one of them looks like a camry coupe.

I'm not acting like anything. Just stating fact. I am not a buyer for either car regardless & both are ugly to me.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Will hold judgement until I see one run at the track. Then I'll decide what is what. Mags 1# job is to sell magazines. What they say usually rarely equates to what happens in the real world. That's just the facts of it all.

Also all this talk about stock cars.....Only time stock cars matter if the rules call for it, or maybe on a road course for comparison numbers. Line that stock Camaro up with me and I'm going to light it up. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Will hold judgement until I see one run at the track. Then I'll decide what is what. Mags 1# job is to sell magazines. What they say usually rarely equates to what happens in the real world. That's just the facts of it all.

Also all this talk about stock cars.....Only time stock cars matter if the rules call for it, or maybe on a road course for comparison numbers. Line that stock Camaro up with me and I'm going to light it up. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.
Congrats on comparing apples to oranges by saying line a stock car up to yours LOL! Nice build you have btw, what are her numbers?
Most people do not mod their cars FYI. :)

SoL93GT

Your memory is flawed....

Not surprised. Am I the only one that sees almost a $10k price difference between the two? The Mustang (as tested) was $47k, which means it has to be fully loaded. That added more weight. Why didnt they test a standard baseline GT? Those things weigh 3705lbs. Why do magazines always do that?

Oh well, either way, its Motor Trend. What do you expect?

I dont ever recall Motor Trend giving the win to a Mustang. Not even when they compared it to the M3. The only thing I remember was back in 2000, when Car and Driver did a rivalry comparison between the BOSS, and the ZL1. The BOSS beat the ZL1 on the strip, but the ZL1 beat the BOSS on the track, as the BOSS was set up for the strip with an auto trans. In the end, it was a tie, and neither car won. Thats the closest thing ive seen to a Mustang winning with any magazine test.

Dude the Boss 302 never came with an automatic transmission, that's just crazy... You got your facts twisted. And your recollection the Boss 302's testing against the Camaro ZL1 is way off. The ZL1 did 12.1 vs 12.4 in the 1/4. But the Boss 302 ran the same in the 1/4 as the $75k Z/28, 12.4... and the Boss 302 tested by Randy Pobst for Motor Trend was quicker around Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway than the 580 hp supercharged Camaro ZLl. Motor Trend's videos of their "Hot Laps" are all on YouTube for anyone to see. Including the Shelby GT500, Boss 302, Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Camaro ZL1, and the Camaro Z/28. The (so called amazing...) Z/28 race car was less than a second faster than the 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 same track, same, driver, same day. As badass as it was, it was a full weight street car that had small tires, inadequate brakes, a solid rear axle, and slightly revised suspension that dates back to the 1978 Ford Fairmont. A simple search on YouTube would show you all of these videos. When the 2011Mustang GT, 2013 Mustang GT, Boss 302, 2013/2014 GT500, 2015 Mustang GT, and especially the 2015 Shelby GT350/R (R being called the best sports coupe ever made, yes some have already been sold as 2015 models) came out, and were tested by many, credit was giving where credit was due, which usually hadn't happen before 2005, 10 years ago. Your memory is flawed, with all due respect.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Dude the Boss 302 never came with an automatic transmission, that's just crazy... You got your facts twisted. And your recollection the Boss 302's testing against the Camaro ZL1 is way off. The ZL1 did 12.1 vs 12.4 in the 1/4. But the Boss 302 ran the same in the 1/4 as the $75k Z/28, 12.4... and the Boss 302 tested by Randy Pobst for Motor Trend was quicker around Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway than the 580 hp supercharged Camaro ZLl. Motor Trend's videos of their "Hot Laps" are all on YouTube for anyone to see. Including the Shelby GT500, Boss 302, Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Camaro ZL1, and the Camaro Z/28. The (so called amazing...) Z/28 race car was less than a second faster than the 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 same track, same, driver, same day. As badass as it was, it was a full weight street car that had small tires, inadequate brakes, a solid rear axle, and slightly revised suspension that dates back to the 1978 Ford Fairmont. A simple search on YouTube would show you all of these videos. When the 2011Mustang GT, 2013 Mustang GT, Boss 302, 2013/2014 GT500, 2015 Mustang GT, and especially the 2015 Shelby GT350/R (R being called the best sports coupe ever made, yes some have already been sold as 2015 models) came out, and were tested by many, credit was giving where credit was due, which usually hadn't happen before 2005, 10 years ago. Your memory is flawed, with all due respect.

What are you babbling about? Didn't the 2015 1LE best the 2015 PP GT in most performance categories? Yes, I think it did.

Users who are viewing this thread