MT: Shelby VS ZL1 on Laguna Seca

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
My mistake, I thought you were still referring to the three lap race having a "VERY different" outcome if he'd been trying for three fast laps rather than one fast lap.

To which I'm still awaiting an explanation of how that could make the ZL1 run FASTER than its one best lap, or how it could make the GT500 run SLOWER than the three laps it ran when it WASN'T trying to get three fast laps.

Both of which are essentially logical impossibilities. The ZL1 obviously can't run faster than its best lap, and the GT500 can't really run its "best three laps" slower than its NON best three laps, can it?

I may have had a reading failure, but it seems as if you've had a thinking failure.
the ZL1 isn't gonna run faster on a 3 lap shoot out, no shit. but the GT500 could in fact run a slower cumulative time as randy pobst might try to manage the brakes instead of using every single ounce available each lap.
try following some road racing and notice how lap times change with the smallest of variables.

when you read the words as printed instead of trying to distort them to fit your agenda, you'll notice that the context(hey, their's that word again!) of the comment is in reference to how bad the GT500s brakes were fading. they're saying "look at how much the brakes were fading with each lap" and you're saying "well i learned in kindergarten that 2+2=4!"

So you're just going to cry about me accidentally taking a statement out of context, and then completely ignore the point of my post, which is that the conclusion you've come to about this potential three lap race is complete bull****? Gotcha, good to know that's how you operate.
yep, that's exactly what i'm gonna do. it's not like i was in the midst of replying to the other posts during which you made your last post or anything. it's not like i'm watching a the last grand-am race at road america while taking my time typing out replies to others that posted before you.
sorry i don't drop everything i'm doing and focus on replying to YOU and YOU alone. mah bad bro!

BRTky.jpg

now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go back to watching a GREAT race from elkhart lake, wisconsin and sipping my chopin. you go ahead and keep your life revolving around an interwebs forum site:thumbsup:

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
the ZL1 isn't gonna run faster on a 3 lap shoot out, no shit. but the GT500 could in fact run a slower cumulative time as randy pobst might try to manage the brakes instead of using every single ounce available each lap.
try following some road racing and notice how lap times change with the smallest of variables.

when you read the words as printed instead of trying to distort them to fit your agenda, you'll notice that the context(hey, their's that word again!) of the comment is in reference to how bad the GT500s brakes were fading. they're saying "look at how much the brakes were fading with each lap" and you're saying "well i learned in kindergarten that 2+2=4!"

yep, that's exactly what i'm gonna do. it's not like i was in the midst of replying to the other posts during which you made your last post or anything. it's not like i'm watching a the last grand-am race at road america while taking my time typing out replies to others that posted before you.
sorry i don't drop everything i'm doing and focus on replying to YOU and YOU alone. mah bad bro!

No, but you did drop everything, twice, in order to act all butthurt because someone accidentally took a statement you made out of context, didn't you?
BRTky.jpg

now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go back to watching a GREAT race from elkhart lake, wisconsin and sipping my chopin. you go ahead and keep your life revolving around an interwebs forum site:thumbsup:

So Randy trying to get 1 good lap = .5 or more seconds slower, over three laps, than Randy trying to get the three fastest laps?

Then those aren't the three fastest laps, are they? If that happened, then Randy screwed up, didn't he? All you are saying is "Well, maybe if Randy was trying to get three good laps instead of one good lap, he would have screwed up and not driven the car to the full extent of its abilities, and would have actually been slower."

That is both complete speculation, and completely stupid. The GT500 won both in the quickest 1 lap, and in the quickest three laps, and the quickest three laps is NOT irrelevant or meaningless.

Randy Pobst, going for three best laps in a GT500, CAN AND WILL BEAT Randy Pobst going for three best laps in a ZL1. That is a FACT, and for you to say it's meaningless it's just moronic.

Last edited:

red9450

Established Member
Sooo.... to sumarize...

The GT500 wins the 1/4 mile, 0-60, dyno, has the faster lap, has better steering feel, better turn in, better chassis feel, better gas mileage, is the lighter of the 2 cars, has more interior amenities, but..... It's a one trick pony?

I think I got it..

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
No, but you did drop everything, twice...

So Randy trying to get 1 good lap = .5 or more seconds slower, over three laps, than Randy trying to get the three fastest laps?
no, i didn't actually, it's called "multi-tasking". that's another definition you can look up while you're still trying to figure out that whole "context" thing!

absolutely plausible. and it's absolutely plausible that it could go the other way as well. a driver will have a completely different mind set when trying to get one singular lap time vs trying to get a cumulative lap time over many laps. a drag racer that's bracket racing will approach it differently than when heads up racing. very basic concepts we're dealing with here.
oh, BTW, that still has nothing to do with the fact that motortrend was illustrating the effects of the brake fade they were seeing on the GT500.

ToMany01L's

Established Member
Sooo.... to sumarize...

The GT500 wins the 1/4 mile, 0-60, dyno, has the faster lap, has better steering feel, better turn in, better chassis feel, better gas mileage, is the lighter of the 2 cars, has more interior amenities, but..... It's a one trick pony?

I think I got it..

You forgot a rear end that will hold together at a strip and a bullet proof engine compared to a crack rod budget ls motor in the zlwhat and stops faster on top of it. x x

evolve

Established Member
Sooo.... to sumarize...

I think I got it..

This.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
absolutely plausible. and it's absolutely plausible that it could go the other way as well. a driver will have a completely different mind set when trying to get one singular lap time vs trying to get a cumulative lap time over many laps. a drag racer that's bracket racing will approach it differently than when heads up racing. very basic concepts we're dealing with here.

Here's a very basic concept for you, since you're so advanced:

Go back in time. Pobst is doing the test, driving the GT500 first. He lays down the times he did. Now it's the ZL1s turn. Is going for one best lap going to make the ZL1 win? Is going for three best laps going to make the ZL1 win? Is going for 10 best laps going to make the ZL1 win?

Either you answer yes, in which case you're wrong, and a fool, or you answer no, and you were wrong before when you said the cumulative times are meaningless. It's meaningless that whether he was going for 1 lap, or 3, or 5, or 10, or 100, he could NOT HAVE BEAT the GT500 times? That's just a plain stupid thing to say.

oh, BTW, that still has nothing to do with the fact that motortrend was illustrating the effects of the brake fade they were seeing on the GT500.

So what? The GT500 still won after three laps, and since you like to play the speculation game, it's entirely plausible that on the fourth and subsequent laps the ZL1s brakes would have started fading and it would have fallen behind the GT500 again, and stayed there in perpetuity.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Here's a very basic concept for you, since you're so advanced:

Go back in time. Pobst is doing the test, driving the GT500 first. He lays down the times he did. Now it's the ZL1s turn. Is going for one best lap going to make the ZL1 win? Is going for three best laps going to make the ZL1 win? Is going for 10 best laps going to make the ZL1 win?

Either you answer yes, in which case you're wrong, and a fool, or you answer no, and you were wrong before when you said the cumulative times are meaningless. It's meaningless that whether he was going for 1 lap, or 3, or 5, or 10, or 100, he could NOT HAVE BEAT the GT500 times? That's just a plain stupid thing to say.

So what? The GT500 still won after three laps, and since you like to play the speculation game, it's entirely plausible that on the fourth and subsequent laps the ZL1s brakes would have started fading and it would have fallen behind the GT500 again, and stayed there in perpetuity.
is the ZL1 going to win what? this imaginary 3 lap race that never actually happened that you're clinging so steadfast to? a single lap shoot out? a slowest lap contest? this fairy tale scenario you put forth doesn't even include enough information to make sense, let alone be relevant to the fact that the GT500s brakes were fading badly. keep trying though, fling shit at the wall long enough and you're bound to get something to stick, right?:thumbsup: no, really, i'm sure you'll paint me into a corner at one point. you'll once and for all definitively prove me a hypocrite. and it still won't bear ANY relevance to this article what so ever.

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
could someone please explain to me how the camaros seats are better than the recaros hahahahahah

I loved the ending, "the camaro goes faster longer"

I believe he meant to say, the camaro goes slower for longer LOL

chuckstang

Established Member
Intestesting that the GT500 stops 9 feet shorter but yet they say the zl1s brakes are far better.

It's all BS, but honestly the Ford guys should be happy GM paid off the mags because otherwise this new GT500 would terminate the camaro just like it did 10 years ago and I dont want the camaro to go away, competition is good!

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
You have to be realistic. Similar cars performance wise can go either direction in similar hands. Unless all owners of each are highly trained with a lot of seat time. The rest is just bragging rights.

I'm with you on the track. It's the best driver's race to win- in either car. But, the acceleration numbers don't lie. The Shelby is just too far out in front of the ZL1......EVERY time. With launch control, it takes most of the driver "talent" argument out of the issue. I read in one magazine that by 150 mph the Shelby was out front by over four seconds. That's not too close to call by anyone's standards. It's called getting smoked! :burn:

Para81

Established Member
I leave race-car comfort to the Germans. When I buy American muscle i'm not looking for refined comfort, i want the brawler.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Numbers don't tell the whole story you 1 trick pony riders. Yes you throw 662 hp at a car it better be decently fast. If the gt500 was 580hp and still 250lbs lighter. It would get crushed in the numbers department.

Real drivers that don't live there lives a quarter mile at a time. Prefer the better ZL1, Like stated in the video It won b/c of it. These guys have driven the best cars in the world. I think they know which one is better.

So if you want to keep being a fan boy and losing all the comparisons, Be my guest.

Sorry, but did I catch an "if" in there?

So now you're hypothetically downgrading what the Shelby ACTUALLY already has, instead of hypothetically upgrading what you WISH the ZL1 could do?

I hope you never get banned. I actually look forward to reading what you'll post next! Your shrink deserves whatever you are paying him because you are certainly the master of seeing your own glass half full my friend.

No "ifs" needed here bud. It's the ZL1 with 580 hp that is four seconds behind the Shelby by 150 mph. But "if' the ZL1 were actually in the race I wonder if the MRC would keep the driver's latte from spilling on that Alcantara automatic shifter?

BMARZ

Established Member
Your typical Gt500 owner.

Mustang Shelby GT500 goes 14.02 at 106 mph - YouTube

106 mph lol

These cars are comical sometimes. Have fun with the 1-2 shift grind fellas. It only gets worse.

Yeah, those 2010-12 GT500's are notoriously hard to launch; this video is case-in-point.

I guess his 14-second run is almost as embarrassing as a Camaro ZL1 getting spanked by a tuned Boss 302. Have fun with the heat soak, ZL1 owners, it only gets worse for your bloated land barges! I bet Erik was thinking, "man, this ZL1 is so easy to drive and these seats are great" as Van flew by him like he was standing still!

2013 BOSS 302 vs 2013 Camaro ZL1 - YouTube

Revan Racing 2013 GT500 over takes TORQ 2012 ZL1 - YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread