MT: Shelby VS ZL1 on Laguna Seca

Klay

Established Member
Again, I am talking about your TYPICAL owner who might go to the strip. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think you are not quite grasping what a drivers race means (no offense meant).

Typical owners or average drivers will still heavily favor the GT500. An average driver in each shouldn't change the outcome. You could possibly win in the ZL1 IF a pro was behind the wheel while the GT500 owner was average.

Still would be a close race. But if both drivers are similar in skill (which is what you stated) then the ZL1 will lose, period. Of course, this is barring the GT500 driver doesn't miss shifts because then ANY car can beat another.

A camry could beat a GT500 if the GT500 misses several shifts.

BMARZ

Established Member
"1 Trick Pony"

"And that's Important b/c we don't drive everywhere a quarter mile at a time"

lol at the gt500 smoking towards the end.

Randy was a little sympathetic towards the shelby. We know why.

R.I.P Carrol Shelby you guys built a great mustang.

But overall the ZL1 is the more sophisticated car. Basically everything was said that I already knew in this review.

That is why the ZL1 Keeps "WINNING" :beer:

Was Pobst being "sympathetic" when he said with "a brake upgrade," the GT500 would be the better track car and "probably" a better car on the street, "because the [GT500] is better balanced [than the ZL1]. The Camaro has more understeer through the middle of a corner, and the Mustang really puts the power down. They've got the suspension geometry right in that live axle." Of course, you have guys like Van -- you know, someone who actually drives a 2013 GT500 and races it -- who says he's never experienced brake fade. Watch the videos of him obliterating Torq's heat soaked ZL1 (it heat soaked despite the fact it features a twin-fan Afco heat exchanger among other mods); he's not exactly easy on his Shelby.

Ford Shelby GT500 vs Chevrolet Camaro ZL1! - Head 2 Head Episode 11 - YouTube

This has been posted before, but is definitely germane to this thread:

ShelbyvsZL1summary.jpg

Again, if this is how you define "one-trick pony," sign me up!

Kewlv8

Established Member
Your typical Gt500 owner.

These cars are comical sometimes. Have fun with the 1-2 shift grind fellas. It only gets worse.

LOL at the Camaro5 owners cringing in the fetal position. Next Gen can't come fast enough, aye girls? Till then, I predict pain :kaboom:. LMAO

2a0ca-Good_Good_Let_the_Butt_hurt_flow_through.jpg

germeezy1

Established Member
The ZL1 does not have better handling feel....the ZL1 does not have better handling feel....GM is paying off magazines.....clear media bias....

tin-foil-hat.jpg

BMARZ

Established Member
The ZL1 does not have better handling feel....the ZL1 does not have better handling feel....GM is paying off magazines.....clear media bias....

The ZL1 hasn't been universally praised for its "better handling feel." Again, according to Randy Pobst, with "a brake upgrade," the GT500 would be the better track car and "probably" a better car on the street, "because the [GT500] is better balanced [than the ZL1]. The Camaro has more understeer through the middle of a corner, and the Mustang really puts the power down. They've got the suspension geometry right in that live axle." The Camaro wins because, somehow, its seats are better than the GT500's Recaros and it's supposedly more liveable than the GT500 on a daily basis, well, other than its pathetically-cheap interior and blind spots the size of Kansas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-db7bX9LI&feature=youtu.be&hd=1&t=11m55s

Last edited:

jimmy77

Established Member
I like Randy Pobst's reviews. I also think SVT should act immediatly on his advice.....IMPROVE the brakes. It would be nice if Ford could come out with an upgraded brake package....one that a dealer could also install on existing cars. To see the Mustang dominate the competion in almost every category yet lose because of brakes is kind of a letdown.....especially since better brakes would have meant a complete sweep of the ZL1.

I suspect Ford won't waste much time improving the brakes.....which will make a fantastic car that much better! I'd still pick the Shelby regardless....GREAT CAR.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I like Randy Pobst's reviews. I also think SVT should act immediatly on his advice.....IMPROVE the brakes. It would be nice if Ford could come out with an upgraded brake package....one that a dealer could also install on existing cars. To see the Mustang dominate the competion in almost every category yet lose because of brakes is kind of a letdown.....especially since better brakes would have meant a complete sweep of the ZL1.

I suspect Ford won't waste much time improving the brakes.....which will make a fantastic car that much better! I'd still pick the Shelby regardless....GREAT CAR.

The brake Fade issue seems to be isolated to that car. No one else has reported this. In fact- others have commended the brakes.

So I don't think Ford will need to address anything there.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
It's quite obvious that Motortrend prefers the nicer riding car regardless of the numbers each car posts. I meant to post this after the results from the ZL1 - GT500 was posted from MT because the same thing happened to the '11 V6 Stang when it went head to head against other cars in it's class. Check out the stats and you will be left scratching your head as to why the '11 Stang didn't win...

2011 Mustang V-6 vs 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track vs 2010 Camaro RS vs 2010 Challenger SE - Motor Trend

germeezy1

Established Member
It's quite obvious that Motortrend prefers the nicer riding car regardless of the numbers each car posts. I meant to post this after the results from the ZL1 - GT500 was posted from MT because the same thing happened to the '11 V6 Stang when it went head to head against other cars in it's class. Check out the stats and you will be left scratching your head as to why the '11 Stang didn't win...

2011 Mustang V-6 vs 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track vs 2010 Camaro RS vs 2010 Challenger SE - Motor Trend

I said this days ago but the Genesis actually rides worse than the rest of the cars in many ways but it has superior handling feel to them so it won. The ZL1 had better handling feel, and it rode better as well as being more progressive at the limit.

Neos281

Speedlab
Established Member

Yeah, 305 rears and brake cooling ducts would've been nice to include in the track package but you can always order a set of the Boss 302 ducts from Ford Racing.

Users who are viewing this thread