MT: Shelby VS ZL1 on Laguna Seca

Kewlv8

Established Member
"1 Trick Pony"

"And that's Important b/c we don't drive everywhere a quarter mile at a time"

lol at the gt500 smoking towards the end.

Randy was a little sympathetic towards the shelby. We know why.

R.I.P Carrol Shelby you guys built a great mustang.

But overall the ZL1 is the more sophisticated car. Basically everything was said that I already knew in this review.

That is why the ZL1 Keeps "WINNING" :beer:

LOL, Recovering from a few days of 'shock' and 'awe'. Butt still hurting? LMFAO :nono:

Kewlv8

Established Member
Blah, blah, blah, and "what ifs." You failed to answer my question, what did the ZL1 win at?

Apparently won the simulations, and it is a more comfortable daily driver. Pass the Gray Poupon :lol1:. SVTEven, keep posting and don't ban yourself, target practice on the village idiot (you) is quite fun.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
It won the head2head... :beer:

Ban me b/c I don't agree with fanboys? lol

This is a zl1 vs gt500 thread btw :rolling:

The ZL1 won a subjective assessment. It lost in the tests that were performed.

By the way, I am no fan boy. I said I like the ZL1...it's just the GT500 is the better car and my preference.

So when the ZL1 gets wasted on the street and strip, the ZL1 driver can still say his car is more comfy. If I'm going to lose by that big of a margin than I rather do it in a very comfortable car like a 7 series BMW.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Numbers don't tell the whole story you 1 trick pony riders. Yes you throw 662 hp at a car it better be decently fast. If the gt500 was 580hp and still 250lbs lighter. It would get crushed in the numbers department.

Real drivers that don't live there lives a quarter mile at a time. Prefer the better ZL1, Like stated in the video It won b/c of it. These guys have driven the best cars in the world. I think they know which one is better.

So if you want to keep being a fan boy and losing all the comparisons, Be my guest.

More ramblings and babblings.

Wake up Alice, this aint Wonderland.

Son, you are full of shit.

Put slicks on both and watch the ZL1 get butt gouged so bady it would turn the squeel piggy scene in Deliverance into a documentary.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Warning speculative post:

It looks to me that MT is hiding information. If the mustang never lost when comparing lap times, a clever way to cover it up is to say just that.

When in reality the mustang was slower only on the 3rd lap than the camaro was on its first and nothing more.

If MT was not trying to hide the above statement I believe they would have posted the all 3 lap times for the camaro as well.:bash:
here's a speculative reply:

what if motortrend isn't actually hiding information?
what if they are being 100% up front with the results and 100% honest?
what if the mustang was not only slower than the camaro on the 3rd lap, but also slower and slower on the following laps?
what if motortrend ASSumed that their original statement made the point clear enough and didn't need any further clarification? they do have a limited amount of space for each article after all.

all you're doing here is presenting a straw man and questionable interpretations of the statements and data in the article. i respect your opinion and understand exactly what you're saying, but you're absolutely only looking at this from one singular perspective.
but i'll gladly continue this dialogue, entertainment at its finest!:lol1: :beer:

at first i was like "glad i'm not the only one that sees this!", then i was like "well, of course that guy out of anyone else is the one agreeing with me!":lol1:

:D:beer:

"Race" or no "race" the GT500 was still ahead after 3 laps. I think that is the point being made.
absolutely, i completely understand the point being made, but that point isn't relevant. at the very least, we don't have enough information for such a point to be relevant. one thing we do know is that the "first/second/third" laps mentioned in the article aren't actually such, as they aren't counting warm up laps but rather referring only to hot laps. if one car had more warm up laps than the other then that can very well have an effect on the performance of the car(heat soak, tire degradation, braking performance, etc.) as well as pobst's performance behind the wheel(familiarity).

on top of that, the cumulative time is also completely irrelevant because pobst was, in all likelihood, told to go out and try to get the absolute BEST SINGLE LAP possible out of each car, and thus he drove each car as such. if he had been told to run the best 3 laps possible with each car, or best 5 laps, or best 100 laps(LOL), then i guarantee you that he would driven the cars differently than he had. he would've been managing the tires, brakes, and engine(heat soak) of each car so as to get the optimum performance out of each car on EVERY lap rather than on a singular lap.not only that, but if they told randy pobst that he is to run a 3 lap time attack-esque shootout with each car where the cumulative time will decide the winner, i GUARANTEE the he would've driven each car differently.
this doesn't just apply to running a car on a road course, it applies to every form of racing. a bracket drag racer is aiming for consistency while a heads up drag racer is aiming to be the first across the finish line each and every time. and to take it further, top fuel dragsters aren't set up with the same tune in the first round of a bracket as they are in the finals. and then top fuel sand dragsters have a more aggressive tune than top fuel 1/4 mile dragsters since sand drags are 300' long vs 1320'(err, 1000' actually). i know i'm talking about tunes here, but i'm sure how you can see that the analogy is equivalent to pushing a car on a road course for 1 lap vs 100 laps(or even vs 3 laps).
basically, if pobst had been trying to get the 3 best laps possible out of each car instead of the best single lap, then the results may have been VERY different. they may have been the exact same as well, but we don't know and thus can't conclude anything from the cumulative times. besides, what if you added in a 4th lap for each car and the ZL1 came out ahead? who the hell would brag about being ahead for 3 of 4 laps when the point is to finish first(if it were a cumulative shoot out of course)?;-)
i guess you can proclaim victory with this perspective, but just know that it's a very hollow victory. in fact, it's no less of a hollow victory than all of these magazine wins for the ZL1 in the face of worse performance than the "loser":beer:

sorry if this was a bit long winded, that tends to happen with my posts:lol1:

Y'all are feeding the troll...of course, if this were C5, they'd have banned him/her/it by now, so I guess the charitable nutrition will continue...
unfortunately, that looks to be the case

Well I agree feeding the troll isn't a good idea, it is sometimes fun to see them trying to use moronic reasoning to try and fit it to their agenda. Like when "GMeveN," says that the ZL1 wins at every test. He is talking about it winning the overall review of the car and not the individual tests that are given to it. If "GMeveN" went into more detail on that he wouldn't be able to proclaim such a thing with so much vigor. It's funny to see these guys and how they view situations.
there in lies the problem though, in all liklyhood, the content of SVTeveN's posts aren't actually his views and beliefs on the topic. i mean, we can all see how short sighted and ignorant his remarks are, yet look at the reaction he gets with each post he makes. realize that those two observations aren't mutually exclusive and it's easy to see what's going on here;-)

Last edited:

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
Hollow victory? Okay, so he wasn't trying to get the quickest three laps, he was just trying to get one lap as quick as possible.

The GT500 turned the quickest lap.

How is that a hollow victory? It won at what he was attempting to do. That seems

The point you're making (which I agree with) favors the GT500, not the ZL1. If he wasn't trying for just one quick lap, and was managing his brakes and temps, you know he would NOT have gone any faster than three "perfect laps" in the ZL1 (which would still be over half a second behind the GT500) but he MIGHT have done better in the GT500 by running a slightly slower peak lap, but quicker subsequent laps.

How could the results have been "very different" (I.e. a ZL1 win) when even if the ZL1 ran its BEST LAP three times in a row, it still would have lost against the GT500 NOT trying to run its best three laps? The ZL1 can't run three laps better than its best lap, and if Pobst ran three laps (trying to run three cumulatively quick laps, rather than one peak lap) in the GT500 it can hardly end up being SLOWER than NOT TRYING to run three cumulatively quick laps (if it was, Pobst failed and should have just tried for one quick lap, which is what you said he likely did).

Ether way the GT500 won. Your scenario could only result in the GT500 winning by a larger margin, it could not result in a ZL1 victory.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Hollow victory? Okay, so he wasn't trying to get the quickest three laps, he was just trying to get one lap as quick as possible.

The GT500 turned the quickest lap.

How is that a hollow victory?
some of you ****ers need to learn how to read. go look up the definition of the word "context", re-read my post, then try again before taking one phrase in my post out of context. i'll give you a hint: there's one sentence that appears before the sentence in which the aforementioned phrase appears in that makes quite a bit of difference.

i've really been working on being more eloquent, concise, and respectful with my posts, but when everything gets taken out of context, twisted, and distorted, it starts to wear pretty thin. gets pretty old stating the same thing in different words 3 or 4 different times. or more.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
here's a speculative reply:

what if motortrend isn't actually hiding information?
what if they are being 100% up front with the results and 100% honest?
what if the mustang was not only slower than the camaro on the 3rd lap, but also slower and slower on the following laps?
what if motortrend ASSumed that their original statement made the point clear enough and didn't need any further clarification? they do have a limited amount of space for each article after all.

all you're doing here is presenting a straw man and questionable interpretations of the statements and data in the article. i respect your opinion and understand exactly what you're saying, but you're absolutely only looking at this from one singular perspective.
but i'll gladly continue this dialogue, entertainment at its finest!:lol1: :beer:

at first i was like "glad i'm not the only one that sees this!", then i was like "well, of course that guy out of anyone else is the one agreeing with me!":lol1:

:D:beer:

absolutely, i completely understand the point being made, but that point isn't relevant. at the very least, we don't have enough information for such a point to be relevant. one thing we do know is that the "first/second/third" laps mentioned in the article aren't actually such, as they aren't counting warm up laps but rather referring only to hot laps. if one car had more warm up laps than the other then that can very well have an effect on the performance of the car(heat soak, tire degradation, braking performance, etc.) as well as pobst's performance behind the wheel(familiarity).

on top of that, the cumulative time is also completely irrelevant because pobst was, in all likelihood, told to go out and try to get the absolute BEST SINGLE LAP possible out of each car, and thus he drove each car as such. if he had been told to run the best 3 laps possible with each car, or best 5 laps, or best 100 laps(LOL), then i guarantee you that he would driven the cars differently than he had. he would've been managing the tires, brakes, and engine(heat soak) of each car so as to get the optimum performance out of each car on EVERY lap rather than on a singular lap.not only that, but if they told randy pobst that he is to run a 3 lap time attack-esque shootout with each car where the cumulative time will decide the winner, i GUARANTEE the he would've driven each car differently.
this doesn't just apply to running a car on a road course, it applies to every form of racing. a bracket drag racer is aiming for consistency while a heads up drag racer is aiming to be the first across the finish line each and every time. and to take it further, top fuel dragsters aren't set up with the same tune in the first round of a bracket as they are in the finals. and then top fuel sand dragsters have a more aggressive tune than top fuel 1/4 mile dragsters since sand drags are 300' long vs 1320'(err, 1000' actually). i know i'm talking about tunes here, but i'm sure how you can see that the analogy is equivalent to pushing a car on a road course for 1 lap vs 100 laps(or even vs 3 laps).
basically, if pobst had been trying to get the 3 best laps possible out of each car instead of the best single lap, then the results may have been VERY different. they may have been the exact same as well, but we don't know and thus can't conclude anything from the cumulative times. besides, what if you added in a 4th lap for each car and the ZL1 came out ahead? who the hell would brag about being ahead for 3 of 4 laps when the point is to finish first(if it were a cumulative shoot out of course)?;-)
i guess you can proclaim victory with this perspective, but just know that it's a very hollow victory. in fact, it's no less of a hollow victory than all of these magazine wins for the ZL1 in the face of worse performance than the "loser":beer:

sorry if this was a bit long winded, that tends to happen with my posts:lol1:

unfortunately, that looks to be the case

there in lies the problem though, in all liklyhood, the content of SVTeveN's posts aren't actually his views and beliefs on the topic. i mean, we can all see how short sighted and ignorant his remarks are, yet look at the reaction he gets with each post he makes. realize that those two observations aren't mutually exclusive and it's easy to see what's going on here;-)

Oh it is very much a game to him and he loves playing it. My problem is by feeding into that game I get entertainment out of it on my end. I mean there is only so much bs he can sling before he gets himself into a corner and that is where things get entertaining for me.

Darth Racer

Established Member
some of you ****ers need to learn how to read. go look up the definition of the word "context", re-read my post, then try again before taking one phrase in my post out of context. i'll give you a hint: there's one sentence that appears before the sentence in which the aforementioned phrase appears in that makes quite a bit of difference.

i've really been working on being more eloquent, concise, and respectful with my posts, but when everything gets taken out of context, twisted, and distorted, it starts to wear pretty thin. gets pretty old stating the same thing in different words 3 or 4 different times. or more.

Why so serious? I think you need to relax a bit. There are many other more important things in life to worry about, believe me. Just have a few beers, and chill out.

Oh.....another observation. Some of your posts are so long that folks just skim thru them or ignore them altogether. Try and state your position in as few words as possible. Concise and to the point.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member

My mistake, I thought you were still referring to the three lap race having a "VERY different" outcome if he'd been trying for three fast laps rather than one fast lap.

To which I'm still awaiting an explanation of how that could make the ZL1 run FASTER than its one best lap, or how it could make the GT500 run SLOWER than the three laps it ran when it WASN'T trying to get three fast laps.

Both of which are essentially logical impossibilities. The ZL1 obviously can't run faster than its best lap, and the GT500 can't really run its "best three laps" slower than its NON best three laps, can it?

I may have had a reading failure, but it seems as if you've had a thinking failure.

Last edited:

evolve

Established Member
Why so serious? I think you need to relax a bit. There are many other more important things in life to worry about, believe me. Just have a few beers, and chill out.

Oh.....another observation. Some of your posts are so long that folks just skim thru them or ignore them altogether. Try and state your position in as few words as possible. Concise and to the point.

You sound like my old Physics professor...lol

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Oh it is very much a game to him and he loves playing it. My problem is by feeding into that game I get entertainment out of it on my end. I mean there is only so much bs he can sling before he gets himself into a corner and that is where things get entertaining for me.
i see where you're coming from. i used to do that, but i burnt my self out on it hardcore, LOL. now i just blockem' all!

definitely no skin off my back, this stuff really has no effect on me although some of my posts my sound like it(yea, that one does, doesn't it:lol1:). and beer tastes like ass, vodka is my weapon of choice:thumbsup:

concise is not my strong point, i've figured that much out over the years of page long posts:lol1: no excuse for taking words and phrases out of context though. if something catches your eye then read the sentence before it and the sentence after it and you should understand the context.
:beer:

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
i see where you're coming from. i used to do that, but i burnt my self out on it hardcore, LOL. now i just blockem' all!

definitely no skin off my back, this stuff really has no effect on me although some of my posts my sound like it(yea, that one does, doesn't it:lol1:). and beer tastes like ass, vodka is my weapon of choice:thumbsup:

concise is not my strong point, i've figured that much out over the years of page long posts:lol1: no excuse for taking words and phrases out of context though. if something catches your eye then read the sentence before it and the sentence after it and you should understand the context.
:beer:

So you're just going to cry about me accidentally taking a statement out of context, and then completely ignore the point of my post, which is that the conclusion you've come to about this potential three lap race is complete bull****? Gotcha, good to know that's how you operate.

Users who are viewing this thread