Mt82 cars with 600+rwhp

gkviper192

Established Member
600rwhp+ guys, what gears are you guys running? I am getting great power from my 3.73s but I feel like in shifting so damn much. This car is mostly run from rolls on the street and may see little track time in the future but I am waiting until I add DRs, clutch, and driveshaft. I am making roughly 650rwhp and am considering a 3.55 or 3.31, will I benefit from this? I feel like all this shifting is slowing down quite a bit..

Maybe this has something to do with not being able to row gears on the stock shifter fast enough, 5th is VERY hard to hit in a fast shift

D.T.R

Established Member
The 4th gear on 3.31s with this MT82 tops out at around 130mph ish on stock 18" tires. Assuming that your boss runs a bigger rim and therefore taller tire, your 4th should be a little longer than that... so with 3.31s you won't go into 5th unless you're trapping over 135mph ?

kingnut

Established Member
i made another thread about gears. theres a few guys with 600+ WHP that have 373's that are considering going to longer gears (331 or 355). so far no one has posted back that they swapped gears and how they like it.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Even 3.31 guys are having to shift into 5th before the stripe if I'm not mistaken.

No. With my car and a 26 inch tire (which raises the effective gear ratio to around 3.42), I am trapping at roughly 6450.

OP, how are you making 650 RWHP? Are you supercharged? If you are using forced induction, you may want to consider a longer gear, like a 3.55 or 3.31.

Finally, stop roll racing on the street and go to the track. :rollseyes

Mike

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
I'm planning on doing a turbo in 2-3 months and I can already tell the 3.73's arent going to cut it. I think I'm going to switch to 3.31's.

Mike50

Established Member
I am supercharged, and I am very happy with my 3.31's. Even if it were free, I would not change them. I also have slightly shorter tires from stock (26.9" down from 27.7"), which effectively changes the gear ratio to around 3.41. Even on a stock car, it's not worth the trade off to me to get lower gears. I can understand it for those of you who want to be competitive at the drag strip, though, where even a 0.1 second quarter mile improvement is worth it to you.

The new Shelby GT500 comes with 3.31 gears standard, so that should tell you something. Then again, it probably helps them achieve 200 MPH too. So many variables...

kingnut

Established Member
just wondering does anyone have the stock MPH per gear at redline for the 331's vs 373's?

implosive

Established Member
I'm running 540whp with the Edlebrock and only lose traction in 1st gear with the 373s and that's with the stock 255 Brembo tires. Any other gear it just grips up. Once I get real tires on there I have no doubt that my 1st gear traction "problem" will be solved. when I go to the track I'll just run a larger tire to minimize the shift to 5th. I would never take my 373s out especially since this my daily. The 373s make the car very lively in the low gears and make the car super easy for around town driving which is what this car is used for 90% of the time

gkviper192

Established Member
No. With my car and a 26 inch tire (which raises the effective gear ratio to around 3.42), I am trapping at roughly 6450.

OP, how are you making 650 RWHP? Are you supercharged? If you are using forced induction, you may want to consider a longer gear, like a 3.55 or 3.31.

Finally, stop roll racing on the street and go to the track. :rollseyes

Mike

Yes I am running a 2.9 whipple making just under 650rwhp..

Regardless of roll racing or track racing I have to shift so often and have useless gears down low. I feel like 331 gears will be better no matter what and I am just seeing what everyone else has to say about them. I am still running stock p zeros and stock rims. (I have a boss btw in case anyone missed my avatar)

Does anyone know what the 4th gear ends at in a 3.73 setup compared to a 3.31 ?

jayman33

I'm at 590.rwhp, have 275/40 hankook ventus in the rear and have zero traction if I hammer it in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd. Can't wait til I get some bigger better tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

gkviper192

Established Member
Does anyone know what mph 4th gear ends at in a 3.73 setup compared to a 3.31 ?

Users who are viewing this thread