MT82 transmission on the 2013

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
That is not true at all. A manual trans race car can be very consistent. Ever watch Pro Stock?

Automatics have many advantages then just being consistent. They don't "hit" the tires as hard, usually have less steeper gearing than a manual, have torque multiplication with the converter and so on. Plus to get a high HP car to live and work best you have to periodically need resurfacing flywheel and clutch disc surfaces, rebuild the pressure plate, changing finger weights and so on. Racing a high HP car with a clutch takes a lot more maintnance than most even realize. There is a reason higher horse power race(d) cars use automatics. Consistency is only one part of it.

All things that can be changed out or modified, ive done it all. My SC Drag car has an auto because its consistent. Thats about 90% of it, but im seeing 6 sec passes. And Usually those High horspower cars have a hybrid tranny, its not just AUTO. like F1 cars, WRC, ALMS GT, use automated clutches, some* cars have up shifts controlled, but almost all have down shifting driver controlled, driver still rev matches. There are PLENTY of manual options out there with a different egagement mechanism. The other thing that these Auto guys dont understand from thier coolio ford auto tranny to an actual racing tranny thats actually pulling the high HP and crazy times is the "dogs." Dogs are basically no more than cogs on a slider. The shifter pushes them into a receiver ring which engages the gear it is attached to. There is a separate dog and receiver for each gear in the transmission. On a racing transmission, there is a lot of "slop" (the gaps in the receiver are a lot larger than the teeth on the dog), which makes it easier to move into and out of the gears at higher rpms without fully engaging the clutch. Just like a full-blown race car, a racing transmission would be a nightmare around town but is a dream come true on the track. So in essence just becasue you bought a ford 5.0 Auto car, you are not on your way to High HP builds and single digit timslips just all free willy...

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
If you are road course racing this car, a manual is the better choice. Never argued that. However, on the street and the drag strip, the 2013+ select shift auto is the better choice.

I raced a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca last Saturday night. From a roll, I beat him by a nose. His car is stock, using the "red key" with side exhaust full open. My car is tune/exhaust only. Both cars had street tires.

From a dig, LOL! Destroyed!!!

Hot laps are more fun, but not everyone has the luxury to drive 45 minutes or less for road course action. There isn't a road course track within 8+ hours from me. All we have here is a 45 minute drive to the 1/8th mile or local street racing.

So the experts agree.

by a nose?? thats it? I raced a stock boss and had him by about 1 1/2 slowly pulling with my X pipe and tune only.

the experts have deeps pockets and will do things with this car that 98% of us wont ever do or see. These are built tranny by a long shot too lol:bored:

86merc

Established Member
Z250H, You are also talking transmissions that cost tens of thousands of dollars or more. A typical "clutchless" manual trans set up will start at an easy $15K and go up from there.

You want a sequential trans you are talking considerably more money than the car cost probably. The thread was referring to your typical mustang owner building a 7,8 or 9 second car. You are talking F1 budgets. haha WAY different ballgame.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
true to a point but these are built auto trans too making these crazy mustang passes. Power glides, ect. FAR FAR cry from the mustang gt auto. For example "vicarious Beast" quoted the top 9sec and under cars use auto, but NOT for the most part the Auto he owns which he fan boys, for example MMRs tranny is a Rossler Turbo 400 w/Continental torque convertor, PST carbon-fiber driveshaft and Precision Performance Products shifter not the 6r80 which he and others believe are some sort of game changer LOLOLOLOL

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Man, you need to relax. The 6R80 has had no problem dipping into the mid/low 9's. That is single digits. I never said anything about 8's, other than no manual MT82 car is going to get there.

and about the game changer comment, the 6R80 changed the way people view an auto in a Mustang. If you can't accept that, then we can agree to disagree.

by a nose?? thats it? I raced a stock boss and had him by about 1 1/2 slowly pulling with my X pipe and tune only.

Do you have 3.15 rear gears? No, I thought not.

The Boss LS has 3.73

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
shoot the evo cars in the 8's have TH400 Transmission with Transbrake

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
no i have 3.31 and the boss i raced had 3.73 also

SO you mean to say the .16 extra gearing i had makes almost a 2 car diff? think again

and I suppose this had nothing to do with it.....

weight reduction

My car is full weight. Also, if you do not mind me asking. How much do you weigh? I ask, because I weigh ~240 lbs. and someone who is 150-175 will make a difference as well. Big difference!

Did I also forget to mention that my 110 lb. fiance was riding with me. The Boss LS owner was riding solo. Again, please do not "boast" until all the facts are displayed.

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
A Rossler Turbo 400 is not uncommon at all. They are about $4000. A Liberty Pro Stock Z clutchless trans costs about $8900 and how many of them do you see at the track near you? And a senquensial? Big money!

I am kind of agreeing with what you are saying. But this thread is geared towards street(able) cars that make big power and raced occasionally. If I had a half a million dollar budget for a race car you bet I would be looking at some more serious hardware. Give me a F1 budget and it would be something else. But just saying, your posts are geared towards big budget race teams versus a typical mustang owner who races on weekends.

twistedneck

Established Member
Something insane and fun about watching 9 second crazy manual trans car.. you know it could do 8's with the right auto - but the pure psycho launch and each gear hit leaving more rubber down... what's better the 8 second time or the crazy run?

D.T.R

Established Member
^ that's always fun too. LIke i said, my buddy's 9 sec all motor fox is crazy how it leaves picking up the front wheels.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
and I suppose this had nothing to do with it.....

weight reduction

My car is full weight. Also, if you do not mind me asking. How much do you weigh? I ask, because I weigh ~240 lbs. and someone who is 150-175 will make a difference as well. Big difference!

Did I also forget to mention that my 110 lb. fiance was riding with me. The Boss LS owner was riding solo. Again, please do not "boast" until all the facts are displayed.

I was also full weight, I weigh about 180 give or take a couple, but had a trunk full of 10 laptops with bags ( yes you can fit that many with careful engineering) but was solo. And so was the boss owner. I wasn't boasting, but a car and a half and still going is pretty significant. And I wasn't even power shifting. You should have laid out all the facts then, cant get mad at me for commenting on what I didn't know...

D.T.R

Established Member
^ in bone-stock trim, the 6R80 holds a lot of power, more than most transmissions.
a semi-built 6R80 such as Beef's is going mid 8s... it holds the power, however at those power levels you may want to go with a glide as you get a trans brake and only 2 gears.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Now all of the sudden everyone likes racing their mustang around turns.. LAWL.
Kind of reminds me when i got some lame car meets, and you see all these evos & stis, with upgraded turbos, bolt ons, cams, etc.. and you ask them if they want to run and they answer "oh, no i don't drag race... these 500whp+ are for autoX" ... (way too much power for that kind of racing anyways) then i proceed to ask them how many autoX/road course events they participated on this yr and the answer is always silence lol
Again, i'm not against the manual cars, i love'd rowing gears... but for drag racing i have more fun and satisfaction with an automatic. Not to mention, the select shift/sport mode makes it more fun than a regular auto. I love downshifting with it, it feels no different than manual except that i don't have to use my leg and engage a clutch and i'm totally fine with that.

lol this is funny because it reminded me of something that happened to me on sunday. i was on my way to the gym with my friend and pulled next to a nice looking evo at a red light and it was just open road ahead. i told him lets go from the dig. and he told me.. no you have a v8......:shrug:

D.T.R

Established Member
lol this is funny because it reminded me of something that happened to me on sunday. i was on my way to the gym with my friend and pulled next to a nice looking evo at a red light and it was just open road ahead. i told him lets go from the dig. and he told me.. no you have a v8......:shrug:

i love harrassing AWD cars with dig races. They allllllllllllways have an excuse...
*Transmission is going to break
*Transfer case
*Clutch
*Axles
*Front or rear differential
*"my car runs better from a low roll"

lol it's always something. Unless it's an all out "race car" with 800whp+ and built-everything and slicks on all 4 wheels, they usually never race from a dig.. or at least around here lmao. And if they do, they ain't fast from a dig... i usually pull them easily... not sure if driver error or what lol

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i love harrassing AWD cars with dig races. They allllllllllllways have an excuse...
*Transmission is going to break
*Transfer case
*Clutch
*Axles
*Front or rear differential
*"my car runs better from a low roll"

lol it's always something. Unless it's an all out "race car" with 800whp+ and built-everything and slicks on all 4 wheels, they usually never race from a dig.. or at least around here lmao. And if they do, they ain't fast from a dig... i usually pull them easily... not sure if driver error or what lol

Lol I know exactly What your talking taking about here!

dead man walkin

Established Member
Everyone suddenly doesn't want their car to turn corners but it should be able to.. that's why I ordered the brembo pkg. The ability to stop and turn plus ford left little brakes on the rear for when I throw slicks on it!! Go ford! And in 2011 and 12 you couldn't get the brembo kit with an automatic because you cannot take an auto around a track. And yes I hang out with other BMW track guys. Its nice to pull them from a light and out of a corner! And zero trans issues despite many laps and 1/4 launches.. I will say if ford developed a real paddle shift system like in a lambo or Ferrari and I don't need it to shift in under the blink of an eye. But if it rev matched down shifts and shifted when you tapped the paddle.... I might convert.. till then the MT-82 is beautiful, shifts smooth, each gear clicks in with a positive thunk, and ease of shift? It takes 2 fingers and light pressure

Users who are viewing this thread