MT82 transmission on the 2013

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
i guess you have to have a wound for salt to be effective. Mine like others have had no issues

how factual is your .1%....and on that note since you have the data, can you proved a % for autos?

lol. some of these guys are like women. It is fords fault because they cant figure out the shift pattern on the MT82. Im putting in auto in, so i know im gonna make it to car & coffee. So many hardcores on here.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
i guess you have to have a wound for salt to be effective. Mine like others have had no issues

how factual is your .1%....and on that note since you have the data, can you proved a % for autos?

.1% was made up for laughs.

Have you not read this thread?

2011+ GT Track Times

Out of 13 cars recording times faster than 9.99 on SVT Performance, only 2 were a manual. Of those two, I know one of those has switched to an auto transmission already. Unsure about the other one. This thread hasn't been updated since 2/14/12, so a lot has changed, meaning a lot more auto cars with very few manual cars making the list. That means the 15% average you had....is now much less.

Making the statement that "auto owners all think they will run 9's" is far from the truth. However, auto owners have a much greater chance than any manual owner, assuming they want to pay the price.

Last edited:

dead man walkin

Established Member
We all know if alllllllll you do is trailer your car from track to track.. 1/4 mile an auto will be faster. If you actually drive a muscle car to enjoy it.. when I ordered mine the wife and I sat in the dealership with the sales guy going over options., making deals.. give and take. When the sales guy got to transmission I looked at her and asked if she wanted an auto, she didn't say a word but slapped me in the face for insulting her.. if you have an auto that's fine like the v6 owners its cool, but don't come on here trying to convince your self you made the right choice. We all know you didn't.. but its ok. Really we still love you here no matter what life style you choose.

D.T.R

Established Member

2011+ GT Track Times

Out of 13 cars recording times faster than 9.99 on SVT Performance, only 2 were a manual. Of those two, I know one of those has switched to an auto transmission already. Unsure about the other one. This thread hasn't been updated since 2/14/12, so a lot has changed, meaning a lot more auto cars with very few manual cars making the list. That means the 15% average you had....is now much less.

Making the statement that "auto owners all think they will run 9's" is far from the truth. However, auto owners have a much greater chance than any manual owner, assuming they want to pay the price.

Dat statistics lesson doe

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
We all know if alllllllll you do is trailer your car from track to track.. 1/4 mile an auto will be faster. If you actually drive a muscle car to enjoy it.. when I ordered mine the wife and I sat in the dealership with the sales guy going over options., making deals.. give and take. When the sales guy got to transmission I looked at her and asked if she wanted an auto, she didn't say a word but slapped me in the face for insulting her.. if you have an auto that's fine like the v6 owners its cool, but don't come on here trying to convince your self you made the right choice. We all know you didn't.. but its ok. Really we still love you here no matter what life style you choose.

I was just like you......

before the 2011+ 6R80 showed us what a well engineered auto can do. It's OK man, one day, you will look back and think......wow, he was right.

If you are keeping the car stock, just to street drive it for groceries. All you need is the manual.

If you intend to mod the car up to insane power levels and 9 second 1/4 mile passes. You are a fool to want the manual.

It's that simple. One last thing, do yourself and favor and resist the urge to search this section of the forums about "failed MT82" manuals. You will find so many, it will make your head spin. Many of the threads are stock cars, others with simple tunes and bolt ons.

Last edited:

texaswrx

Established Member
Or, like a few others, there really is no option if you enjoy the occasional track day, and have no desire to run the 1/4 mile.

I have been happy with my auto, but with the track pack offered, I am moving to a 2014 6spd man.
I don't hate either choice.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member

2011+ GT Track Times

consistency, thats all an auto offers over a manual. Nothing more, nothing less. not to mention 8 of those were shop cars

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I was just like you......

before the 2011+ 6R80 showed us what a well engineered auto can do. It's OK man, one day, you will look back and think......wow, he was right.

If you are keeping the car stock, just to street drive it for groceries. All you need is the manual.

If you intend to mod the car up to insane power levels and 9 second 1/4 mile passes. You are a fool to want the manual.

It's that simple. One last thing, do yourself and favor and resist the urge to search this section of the forums about "failed MT82" manuals. You will find so many, it will make your head spin. Many of the threads are stock cars, others with simple tunes and bolt ons.

I think fool is a strong word to use. Ceteris paribus, an auto will be faster, but there's a lot more to the driving experience and overall vehicle satisfaction than how fast the car goes in a straight line.

I get a lot of personal satisfaction when I can hit 10 second passes while rowing gears. Sure, it won't be as fast as the same car with an auto, but that's ok. I like my manual trans.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Question what do you think is more fun , hot laps on a road course or 1/4 mile runs?Automatics are useless on a road course, but manuals are not useless in the 1/4 mile...

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Motorsports(manual)> 1/4 mile only Auto

automotive world, Motorsporting as a whole, 1/4 = 3%

D.T.R

Established Member
Now all of the sudden everyone likes racing their mustang around turns.. LAWL.
Kind of reminds me when i got some lame car meets, and you see all these evos & stis, with upgraded turbos, bolt ons, cams, etc.. and you ask them if they want to run and they answer "oh, no i don't drag race... these 500whp+ are for autoX" ... (way too much power for that kind of racing anyways) then i proceed to ask them how many autoX/road course events they participated on this yr and the answer is always silence lol
Again, i'm not against the manual cars, i love'd rowing gears... but for drag racing i have more fun and satisfaction with an automatic. Not to mention, the select shift/sport mode makes it more fun than a regular auto. I love downshifting with it, it feels no different than manual except that i don't have to use my leg and engage a clutch and i'm totally fine with that.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Now all of the sudden everyone likes racing their mustang around turns.. LAWL.
Kind of reminds me when i got some lame car meets, and you see all these evos & stis, with upgraded turbos, bolt ons, cams, etc.. and you ask them if they want to run and they answer "oh, no i don't drag race... these 500whp+ are for autoX" ... (way too much power for that kind of racing anyways) then i proceed to ask them how many autoX/road course events they participated on this yr and the answer is always silence lol
Again, i'm not against the manual cars, i love'd rowing gears... but for drag racing i have more fun and satisfaction with an automatic. Not to mention, the select shift/sport mode makes it more fun than a regular auto. I love downshifting with it, it feels no different than manual except that i don't have to use my leg and engage a clutch and i'm totally fine with that.

^ good example of "to each their own". Neither choice is wrong, just different strokes for different folks.. :rockon::beer:

poof100

Established Member
Not to add fuel to this fire, but I will probably be putting up my whole Magnum XL kit for sale within the next month or so. Trans, Driveshaft, Flywheel, clutch.

Trans is kickass and shifts like butter but the car is going in a different direction this winter.

D.T.R

Established Member
^ good example of "to each their own". Neither choice is wrong, just different strokes for different folks.. :rockon::beer:

It may sound like i'm hating the manuals and that's totally not the case. When my MT82 started acting up, i was suuuuuuper close to keeping the 2012 base M6 car and putting the magnum in it, but decided to trade it for the A6 14' all together. It just make more sense for my plans. I love seeing my buddy's 310ci all motor fox, run 9s all motor with a manual. The car leaves super hard, pops wheelies, etc. That's also nice and i respect it.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I didn't take your post as disrespect to a manual trans guy at all.

Like I said, to each their own. At the end of the day, the timeslip doesn't say what transmission you had in the car. lol

86merc

Established Member
consistency, thats all an auto offers over a manual. Nothing more, nothing less. not to mention 8 of those were shop cars

That is not true at all. A manual trans race car can be very consistent. Ever watch Pro Stock?

Automatics have many advantages then just being consistent. They don't "hit" the tires as hard, usually have less steeper gearing than a manual, have torque multiplication with the converter and so on. Plus to get a high HP car to live and work best you have to periodically need resurfacing flywheel and clutch disc surfaces, rebuild the pressure plate, changing finger weights and so on. Racing a high HP car with a clutch takes a lot more maintnance than most even realize. There is a reason higher horse power race(d) cars use automatics. Consistency is only one part of it.

Question what do you think is more fun , hot laps on a road course or 1/4 mile runs?Automatics are useless on a road course, but manuals are not useless in the 1/4 mile...

I bought my car to be a daily driver that I can drag race and road race occasionally. A manual trans fits the bill so much better for what I want to do with the car. The 2011 GT will stay N/A and run 10's as well as turn in great lap times on the road course.

Now my 1986 Capri is much different. It makes around 1200 crank hp and is set up for drag racing. It has a built AOD for several reasons. And I love how the car is with the auto. Keeping a clutch alive in the car with that kind of power and 3800# race weight was a major chore. As well as meant upgrading to an adjustable clutch. Something I was not willing to deal with on a car that sees a thousands of miles every summer and hits the drag strip maybe two or three times a month. That clutch would mean more hours setting up the clutch than actually racing the car. Forget that! lol

There is a time, place and use for both style transmissions. Just depends what each individual wants to do with the car.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
That is not true at all. A manual trans race car can be very consistent. Ever watch Pro Stock?

Automatics have many advantages then just being consistent. They don't "hit" the tires as hard, usually have less steeper gearing than a manual, have torque multiplication with the converter and so on. Plus to get a high HP car to live and work best you have to periodically need resurfacing flywheel and clutch disc surfaces, rebuild the pressure plate, changing finger weights and so on. Racing a high HP car with a clutch takes a lot more maintnance than most even realize. There is a reason higher horse power race(d) cars use automatics. Consistency is only one part of it.

I bought my car to be a daily driver that I can drag race and road race occasionally. A manual trans fits the bill so much better for what I want to do with the car. The 2011 GT will stay N/A and run 10's as well as turn in great lap times on the road course.

Now my 1986 Capri is much different. It makes around 1200 crank hp and is set up for drag racing. It has a built AOD for several reasons. And I love how the car is with the auto. Keeping a clutch alive in the car with that kind of power and 3800# race weight was a major chore. As well as meant upgrading to an adjustable clutch. Something I was not willing to deal with on a car that sees a thousands of miles every summer and hits the drag strip maybe two or three times a month. That clutch would mean more hours setting up the clutch than actually racing the car. Forget that! lol

There is a time, place and use for both style transmissions. Just depends what each individual wants to do with the car.

Exactly..

You sir, win 2 internets for that post :beer:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If you are road course racing this car, a manual is the better choice. Never argued that. However, on the street and the drag strip, the 2013+ select shift auto is the better choice.

I raced a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca last Saturday night. From a roll, I beat him by a nose. His car is stock, using the "red key" with side exhaust full open. My car is tune/exhaust only. Both cars had street tires.

From a dig, LOL! Destroyed!!!

Hot laps are more fun, but not everyone has the luxury to drive 45 minutes or less for road course action. There isn't a road course track within 8+ hours from me. All we have here is a 45 minute drive to the 1/8th mile or local street racing.

not to mention 8 of those were shop cars

So the experts agree.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread