My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Do your car stall? Are you willing to participate in a class actions suit vs Ford?

• My Cobra has stalled and potentially put my life at risk

Votes: 177 44.6%
  • I have no stall problems

Votes: 220 55.4%

• Total voters

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by mike_b_svt

So are the Stalling cars having ANY other problems? Do they also have "the tick", clogged CATs, or anything of that sort?

Here's a timeline:
P/U car July 14th, 1st run car, green coolant, no center vent adjust

Stock: (14mi-3500mi)Stalled often, duration of drive prior to stall-varied 2min-2hr. Always while braking in left hand turn out of gear

Cat back: (3500mi-5500) Stalls, less frequency, now does it in rt. turns or just approaching a stop sign of light.

CAI: (5500mi-6000mi) Still stalls, decreasing Feq.

LT headers, H-pipe, cats, plugs: (6000mi-7200mi): 2 stalls

BBK TB, ported intake: (7200mi- 8000mi): No stalls

Problems repaired to date:
Instrument cluster lighting Died: R/R Cluster assy
Fuel gauge inaccurate: No problem found, still inaccurate
Vibe: R/R D/S good now
Drivers lumbar broke: R/R interior seat bracket
Clunk on left turn: Leaking left rear strut, awaiting parts

No tick, No plugged cats from factory

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by svt4rd
There is a recalibration for the pcm through ford to correct a stalling problem. You might look into it.

Originally posted by 03DOHC
Some here have done the "reflash" and it solved their stall while others who have done the PCM "reflash" still have the stall.

03cobra#116

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Yep, started up fine. Both times it happend it was coasting up to a stop light with the car in nuetral. (A/C was not on)

Same situation for me, except mine has stalled 3 times. I alway coast to the stops in neutral because that clutch is too stiff for my old knees. And, as above, the air was off since it does not do much good with the top down.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Maybe you guys can just slide the shifter out of gear instead of using the clutch. Maybe that will help. At around 1000~1500 RPMS it will just slide right out of fourth w/o the clutch. I never used to use the clutch on my 94 when I slowed down to stop. I just left it in gear til the rpms got low enough, then slipped in into neutral.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Maybe you guys can just slide the shifter out of gear instead of using the clutch. Maybe that will help. At around 1000~1500 RPMS it will just slide right out of fourth w/o the clutch. I never used to use the clutch on my 94 when I slowed down to stop. I just left it in gear til the rpms got low enough, then slipped in into neutral.
I always keep mine in gear, downshifting to match the road speed, unless/until I have to put in in neutral. That's why I brought up driving technique in my earlier post. Just a thought.

rtking

Established Member
Hmmm... my '97 Saleen S281 had a stalling issue. Not sure why. 1 time was a long drive up to San Francisco (from LA). On the freeway at 80 mph, the engine starts losing power and won't rev. I push the clutch in and the engine dies! Barely any braking and I'm trying to dive between trucks to get my quickly slowing car out of the way! Sat stumped for 1 minute... tried to start the car and all was fine again. Go figure...

But all I know is that it's DANGEROUS for these engines to stall. They have some kind of pump that's engine driven that provides assist for braking. When the engine shuts off, then 85% of your braking does too!

Bob K.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by rtking
They have some kind of pump that's engine driven that provides assist for braking. When the engine shuts off, then 85% of your braking does too!
Bob K.

Hydroboost. The brakes are boosted off the power steering pump.

key2you

Established Member
I picked up mine 6-18. It stalled on me several times (at first I thought I was letting the rpms drop to low or I was not engaging the clutch fully) with in the first 2k miles. Since then my 03 has not stalled and I'm approaching 8k. It sounds like the stalling is happening mainly during break in period. Oh have not mods at this time.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by key2you
I picked up mine 6-18. It stalled on me several times (at first I thought I was letting the rpms drop to low or I was not engaging the clutch fully) with in the first 2k miles. Since then my 03 has not stalled and I'm approaching 8k. It sounds like the stalling is happening mainly during break in period. Oh have not mods at this time.
Now if we can get you to go outside to your car and disconnect your negative battery cable. Can you reset your PCM for the purposes of science please!:D

Aharon

Established Member
My cobra stalled the 2nd day I got it.. Totally stock.. It still stalls about 4-5 times a week.. I even have had the latest PCM update installed..

I hope I dont get seriously injured due to a traffic related stalling accident.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member

So have your stalls gone away? Or become even less frequent? Do you still get them on deceleration?

If its the PCM that is causing the problems, why does it persist on some folks cars even after they have had the PCM updated?
And there are some folks that have not updated their PCM but don't have a problem...

Berke

Super Genius
Established Member
Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Originally posted by 03DOHC
To be blunt, driving on a public highway puts your life at risk. Life implies risk.

I have had my car stall on me a few times. When it was 100% stock it never stalled on me. After a few miles I pulled my intake silencer and replaced the air filter w/a drop-in K&N. Shortly thereafter my car would stall every now and then. I pulled the negative battery cable, to reset the PCM, and I believe it stalled a couple of times after that. I then added a magnaflow exhaust and promptly reset the PCM again. That was at, believe it or not, 1320 miles, when I installed my exhaust:D , sorry...Anyway, my car hasn't stalled since then and I have 3200+ miles on her now.

I'm wondering if there's a correlation between mods, even simple one's like pulling the intake silencer, and the "stall". I don't believe anyone has complained about stalling with a 100% stock factory delivered Cobra. Could it be that the computer is just taking a while to adjust to the mods? Or maybe one's driving technique is aggrivating the condition during the computer adaptation? I don't know.

I do know that mine hasn't stalled since I had 1320 miles on my car. And that was almost 2000 miles ago.

Anyone?

There is no correlation, being my car is bone stock and has stalled many times, as have many others on this board so i've read!

Last edited:

Berke

Super Genius
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe

Maybe I could just pay someone to install an automatic transmission too?

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Originally posted by Berke
There is no correlation, being my car is bone stock and has stalled many times, as have many others on this board so i've read!
Do you read before you post? Welcome to last week.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread