My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Do your car stall? Are you willing to participate in a class actions suit vs Ford?

• My Cobra has stalled and potentially put my life at risk

Votes: 177 44.6%
  • I have no stall problems

Votes: 220 55.4%

• Total voters

Berke

Super Genius
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Originally posted by 03DOHC
Do you read before you post? Welcome to last week.:rolleyes:

Gee for being a moderator, you sure are a dick!

all that "POWER" must have gone to your head.

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I have stalled many times, all at different speeds, and in both warm and cold conditions. First few were 100% bone stock. I then had my cai on for 1 month-stalled. Then added the catback-stall. The last stall happened in RUSH hour traffic, exiting the interstate on a downshift. I almost went off the ramp that is at least 50ft high:nonono: I am taking my car in to the dealer on Fri for reflash . I am also going to inform my gm that if it stalls again a aftermarket chip is going in, and I want them to document why. The squeaks I can tolerate, this is downright dangerous.

jason

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Originally posted by Berke
Gee for being a moderator, you sure are a dick!

all that "POWER" must have gone to your head.
Why am I a dick? Did you read any of what was posted or did you stop at my post and hit "quote"? There's no way you read the posts or you wouldn't have chose to quote and disagree with me, because if you took the time to read a few posts further you would've read members replies about their stock cars stalling. How can you contribute if you point out what has been established? And I'm a dick for pointing that out to you? Maybe I could've done it in a more subtle way, but I can't undo what was said, and I'm working on my sensitivity classes.

I apologize if you think I was being a dick, but you really need to read the whole thread before you comment on it.

Last edited:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I have no stall problem, and looking at the poll I am in the majority.
Only mod is pulled the silencer and dropped in the K&N

Idles great, runs better, and the Sonic Blue is to die for!:beer:

Does this help:shrug: Looks like you guys have an interesting post going on here, I just want to stay out of the :bash: :thumbsup:

davidmax

Established Member
No stalls I recomend a re-flash and drive fast(of course) to a dyno with wide band 02 sensor and see where your at.You may want to pull plugs and see if they tell a story and go to a NGK TR6 if you havent already.Dave S.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
This is starting to get dangerous

Well, I stalled again this morning, making it 3 since Nov 22nd. This time I had drove and dropped off my daughter at school, came out, started back up and headed to work. The car was warm and I was cruising at about 40mph and started to coast to a 2-way stop sign where there is a lot of cross traffic and suprise, no brake or steering assist and the tach is at 0. The car fired right back up and was fine the rest of the way to work. This is not fun, someone is going to get hurt if Ford does not do something. I'm just glad it has not happened to my wife when she drives the car.

My car is 100% stock, 1400-1500 miles and YDH0 computer.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Hmm... sounds like a new thread might be in order.

I'm gonna start a new thread to get JUST details about the Stall problem / symptoms and DATA. Hopefully that will help us narrow it down.

Please post your appropriate data as I am doing this to help you out, and me as well.

Thanks,

Berke

Super Genius
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Why am I a dick? Did you read any of what was posted or did you stop at my post and hit "quote"? There's no way you read the posts or you wouldn't have chose to quote and disagree with me, because if you took the time to read a few posts further you would've read members replies about their stock cars stalling. How can you contribute if you point out what has been established? And I'm a dick for pointing that out to you? Maybe I could've done it in a more subtle way, but I can't undo what was said, and I'm working on my sensitivity classes.

I apologize if you think I was being a dick, but you really need to read the whole thread before you comment on it.

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

There have been plenty of posts everywhere on this board about this topic, and on every one I've read people w/o mods have had this problem, and then you come in and say it must be a modded car problem. That's why I made my original comment. You asked if I read all the posts, do you read this board at all?

Maybe calling you a dick went overboard, but it seemed appropriate at the time.

Sorry

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Originally posted by mike_b_svt
Time to put the ol' Problem Analysis training to work... :read:

Start with a problem statement: "2003 Cobras Stall"

What Object has the problem: 2003 Cobras

Ok, so are there any other cars having this same problem? Does it appear on the Mustang GTs, Mach1, or Explorers, which all have 4.6L? Or is it limited to the Cobras (i.e. Supercharged 4.6L)?

What is the problem: Stalling

So are the Stalling cars having ANY other problems? Do they also have "the tick", clogged CATs, or anything of that sort?

Someone post the answers, if we have them, and then we can continue.

BTW- I don't have my '03 yet, so I cant do this analysis on my own car.

Well my '01 didn't do it until I put a supercharger on it! I know of two others who have had the same problem once they put superchargers on their '99's and '01's?? Seems strange that the cars that have this problem have superchargers??? :shrug: :shrug:

torchred03

Established Member
I had a stall problem.

But had the IAC motor replaced and guess what?

No more stall problem.

It's a 30 minute fix and it's covered under your warranty.

GoFaster

Venom of the Cobra

I too have the stall problem, my engine stalls quiet a bit. The last time I drove it, I almost had a white oldsmobile as a hood ornament, due to no brakes when the engine is off. My Cobra has been living at the dealership for the last 2 months off and on. They are currently trying to fix the stall (third time for this), the alignment (four times), the rear axle (one time), the air flow tube which was broken at the factory (one time), The rattle in the dash (one time), and the front valance which was ripped off by the service dept's lift when it was first in for the initial problems. I have owned many fast cars, but this is the most problematic car I have ever seen. The Ford Service line has blown me off for 3 months, and say they will eventually fix it. When asked if they would take the car back, they said "when a person buys something he or she takes certain risks." To bad the sales person did not mention these risks before hand. Though I was told "if" they did buy the car back they would give me a firm 26K, a depreciation of only 11k. Not bad for the car only being 4 months old. This is when I figured where the motto "quality is job one" went DOA. Maybe I am the only guy with these problems. If you have not bought a 03 Cobra and really want one like I did, please seriously consider buying something else. Thanks for listening.......... :gt:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

I'm wondering if there's a correlation between mods, even simple one's like pulling the intake silencer, and the "stall". I don't believe anyone has complained about stalling with a 100% stock factory delivered Cobra. Could it be that the computer is just taking a while to adjust to the mods? Or maybe one's driving technique is aggrivating the condition during the computer adaptation? I don't know.

My car has had the stall since day 1 completely stock and it acts the same as others describe it. During warm up it is more common.

GoFaster

By the way, it still did the stall after the Air tube was replaced. I did have the 2-1/2in aftermarket exhaust on the car, I thought that might be the problem. I took it off at 4000 miles, and it still did it. My car is %100 stock with 5200 miles and still stalls.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Because of this problem I finally decided to get my Fluke out and check the TPS. Mine is reading 1.2 volts which is extremely high. I suggest everybody check there unit as this is most likely what is causing it. I am adjusting mine to .98 volts which is what Doug at Billetflow recommends.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
I had almost 2500 miles before any mods. Stalled all the time. I have after modding had not 1 mind you stall since exhaust and CAI.

BBriBro

Established Member
It seems that most of the complaints of stalling occur at fairly low speeds when coasting in neutral with the engine idling. One guy mentioned in a left handed corner, coasting in neutral. It makes me think, these are some strange driving techniques, I am only in neutral when the car is stopped, I always downshift, usually no lower than 2nd gear, and when the speed has slowed to roughly idle speed, I push in the clutch, so now I wonder, maybe I can MAKE my car stall if I put it in neutral and coast to a stop? I'll have to try it, so far it has not stalled at all. Granted, It should not stall at all, But I still question these techniques, maybe the stalls could be prevented.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Re: Venom of the Cobra

Originally posted by GoFaster
I too have the stall problem, my engine stalls quiet a bit. ... The Ford Service line has blown me off for 3 months, and say they will eventually fix it. When asked if they would take the car back, they said "when a person buys something he or she takes certain risks." To bad the sales person did not mention these risks before hand. Though I was told "if" they did buy the car back they would give me a firm 26K, a depreciation of only 11k. Not bad for the car only being 4 months old. This is when I figured where the motto "quality is job one" went DOA. Maybe I am the only guy with these problems. If you have not bought a 03 Cobra and really want one like I did, please seriously consider buying something else. Thanks for listening.......... :gt:

I would bring up the "Lemon Law" if you really want to get rid of your '03.

M.

silvercoffin

Established Member
wow

Wow looks like I got lucky. A little less than half of the peope with 03s have this problem? WOW

Worst problem I had was alignment and defective tires and it was a nightmare because of dealer service. NO more ford for me...for service or cars..although I love my 03 Cobra.

Also makes me extra cautious about any mods. i think I'll just stick with exhaust.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
Because of this problem I finally decided to get my Fluke out and check the TPS. Mine is reading 1.2 volts which is extremely high. I suggest everybody check there unit as this is most likely what is causing it. I am adjusting mine to .98 volts which is what Doug at Billetflow recommends.

Where are you reading this? Is it the voltage needed at the plug of the TPS? Can someone post a pic and a little more info on how to adjust?

03cobra#116

Established Member
Re: wow

Originally posted by silvercoffin
Wow looks like I got lucky. A little less than half of the peope with 03s have this problem? WOW

Worst problem I had was alignment and defective tires and it was a nightmare because of dealer service. NO more ford for me...for service or cars..although I love my 03 Cobra.

Also makes me extra cautious about any mods. i think I'll just stick with exhaust.

It is not possible to draw the conclusion that a little less than half the people have this problem. You can only say that half the people answering the poll told the poll that they have the problem. If is very likely that the people with the problem were much more likely to take the poll. So it may be a much lower percentage.

Users who are viewing this thread