My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Do your car stall? Are you willing to participate in a class actions suit vs Ford?

• My Cobra has stalled and potentially put my life at risk

Votes: 177 44.6%
  • I have no stall problems

Votes: 220 55.4%

• Total voters

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One of the downsides of Traction Control. It can bite you big time at the most inopportune time.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
I'm greatfull it has not happened to my wife while driving to work, it's not all that easy to stop this thing w/out the power brakes and power steering. Hopefully Ford will step up and issue a TSB on this so that it can be resolved during routine work.

03rocks

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
One of the downsides of Traction Control. It can bite you big time at the most inopportune time.

The traction control is extremely dangerous but the stall that always comes up in these forums is a whole different animal.

Each of the times my car has stalled is was just after warm up cruisin out of my neighborhood. As I slowed down to make the quick right then left to get around the roundabout it died and I had to wrestle it around the roundabout to avoid hitting the parked cars on the street. Not too fun.

:cuss:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by MongoCobra
I have experienced a stall that has put me in a potentially dangerous situation
To be blunt, driving on a public highway puts your life at risk. Life implies risk.

I have had my car stall on me a few times. When it was 100% stock it never stalled on me. After a few miles I pulled my intake silencer and replaced the air filter w/a drop-in K&N. Shortly thereafter my car would stall every now and then. I pulled the negative battery cable, to reset the PCM, and I believe it stalled a couple of times after that. I then added a magnaflow exhaust and promptly reset the PCM again. That was at, believe it or not, 1320 miles, when I installed my exhaust:D , sorry...Anyway, my car hasn't stalled since then and I have 3200+ miles on her now.

I'm wondering if there's a correlation between mods, even simple one's like pulling the intake silencer, and the "stall". I don't believe anyone has complained about stalling with a 100% stock factory delivered Cobra. Could it be that the computer is just taking a while to adjust to the mods? Or maybe one's driving technique is aggrivating the condition during the computer adaptation? I don't know.

I do know that mine hasn't stalled since I had 1320 miles on my car. And that was almost 2000 miles ago.

Anyone?

2kbill

Established Member
I had the stall before any mods at all, and it has continued, seemingly unaffected by my mods. Stall is most frequent during warm-up cycle just before temp reaches normal operating level.

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by 2kbill
I had the stall before any mods at all, and it has continued, seemingly unaffected by my mods. Stall is most frequent during warm-up cycle just before temp reaches normal operating level.

I dont know if you have done so, but do a search for idle problems and resetting ECU by the dealer or different program that is available. Let me know what you find buddy, let me know if I can help you out. I took my to the dealer and he said there was no program available but that it would have to be taken a look at by a technician which would take about 2 days.... I know i get a free loaner but still,,,,, its the fact of the matter that counts.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Originally posted by 03DOHC
To be blunt, driving on a public highway puts your life at risk. Life implies risk.

I have had my car stall on me a few times. When it was 100% stock it never stalled on me. After a few miles I pulled my intake silencer and replaced the air filter w/a drop-in K&N. Shortly thereafter my car would stall every now and then. I pulled the negative battery cable, to reset the PCM, and I believe it stalled a couple of times after that. I then added a magnaflow exhaust and promptly reset the PCM again. That was at, believe it or not, 1320 miles, when I installed my exhaust:D , sorry...Anyway, my car hasn't stalled since then and I have 3200+ miles on her now.

I'm wondering if there's a correlation between mods, even simple one's like pulling the intake silencer, and the "stall". I don't believe anyone has complained about stalling with a 100% stock factory delivered Cobra. Could it be that the computer is just taking a while to adjust to the mods? Or maybe one's driving technique is aggrivating the condition during the computer adaptation? I don't know.

I do know that mine hasn't stalled since I had 1320 miles on my car. And that was almost 2000 miles ago.

Anyone?

At the risk of getting flamed, maybe that's why Ford looks so dimly at mods. Cars these days are a carefully-engineered compromise between power, tractability, emissions, fuel economy and reliability. Replacing a few parts may improve power to the detriment of other elements of performance. I'm not saying that Ford (or dealers) are always fair and reasonable, but your quote recognizes that the stalling problems started with the mods. Threatening to sue Ford will get us nowhere if these are the facts.

Years ago my father counseled me on building up a hot rod. I wanted to bolt on a manifold and 4-barrel carb. He told me that the minute I started upping power, I needed to think about the rest of the drive train, the brakes, the tires, steering, suspension, etc. He taught me to take a "systems" view.

03cobra#116

Established Member
I could not answer either question honestly. My Cobra has stalled three times when cold rolling to a stop sign. That is a stall but I could not call it life threatening.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

I don't believe anyone has complained about stalling with a 100% stock factory delivered Cobra. Could it be that the computer is just taking a while to adjust to the mods? Or maybe one's driving technique is aggrivating the condition during the computer adaptation? I don't know.

Anyone?

Mine has stalled two times within the first 140 miles and it is 100% stock. Blows that theory, huh?:shrug:

btw: Both times the car was up to full temperature, it had been driven for at least 45minutes by that time.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

Originally posted by Cobra-R
Mine has stalled two times within the first 140 miles and it is 100% stock. Blows that theory, huh?:shrug:

btw: Both times the car was up to full temperature, it had been driven for at least 45minutes by that time.
That sure does. When did you get your 03 Cobra?

EH819

Established Member
People whose cars have stalled, do the cars start right back up again?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Interestingly, my car stalled when I was driving it "still in the wrapper" from one of the delivering dealers lots, to their service area to get it's PDI. Then it stalled on the way home. The stall got less frequent with time, and totally went away with the "L" pulley and my Amazon Racing Diablosport chip.

Weird, huh?

JT

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
Interestingly, my car stalled when I was driving it "still in the wrapper" from one of the delivering dealers lots, to their service area to get it's PDI. Then it stalled on the way home. The stall got less frequent with time.....

STFT problem? Anyone hip on tuning want to chime in here? MJCHIP?

....., and totally went away with the "L" pulley and my Amazon Racing Diablosport chip.Weird, huh?

JT
Yes. There doesn't seem to be any commonality in why it stalls, whether it's stock or modded, other than it stalls!

Some here have done the "reflash" and it solved their stall while others who have done the PCM "reflash" still have the stall.

I wonder if MJCHIP has looked into this at all or any other tuner?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: My Cobra Stalls and I will hold Ford Liable

That sure does. When did you get your 03 Cobra?

Picked it up Nov 1st. :beer:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by EH819
People whose cars have stalled, do the cars start right back up again?

Yep, started up fine. Both times it happend it was coasting up to a stop light with the car in nuetral. (A/C was not on)

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Yes. There doesn't seem to be any commonality in why it stalls, whether it's stock or modded, other than it stalls!

Time to put the ol' Problem Analysis training to work... :read:

Start with a problem statement: "2003 Cobras Stall"

What Object has the problem: 2003 Cobras

Ok, so are there any other cars having this same problem? Does it appear on the Mustang GTs, Mach1, or Explorers, which all have 4.6L? Or is it limited to the Cobras (i.e. Supercharged 4.6L)?

What is the problem: Stalling

So are the Stalling cars having ANY other problems? Do they also have "the tick", clogged CATs, or anything of that sort?

Someone post the answers, if we have them, and then we can continue.

BTW- I don't have my '03 yet, so I cant do this analysis on my own car.

Users who are viewing this thread