My dads thinking about getting this 65, what do you think?

BearsFTW18

Established Member
My father and mother have been wrestling around with the idea of getting a 65-66 convertible mustang. They live in Chicago but have another house in the smokey mountains in Tennessee and are down there quite often and would leave the car down there. The guy is wanting $35K for it. It's a new rebuilt motor with 50 miles or something like that.

USED 1965 Ford Mustang | Milford | Napoli Classic Cars

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
I know why he is asking so much! There's gold in the trunk. Jk, but seriously I would never pay more than 8k for that car. The price that he is asking for is fastback money IMHO. Just keep looking and good luck.

BearsFTW18

Established Member
I know why he is asking so much! There's gold in the trunk. Jk, but seriously I would never pay more than 8k for that car. The price that he is asking for is fastback money IMHO. Just keep looking and good luck.

8k? Lol. It's fully restored and a brand new engine.
I'd much rather have a fastback. But, that is my opinion.

I feel the same.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Early convertibles do bring good money. But, you are correct in telling your Dad the mid to high twenty range is more accurate. The car looks really nice, but it's not over the top with options to warrant the asking price. Anyone who builds a car knows you WILL NOT get back every dime you put into it. But, a dealer will try and milk it for all he can.

30K or under would be OK. Maybe tell your Dad to offer 29 cash?

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
8k is too low. it is worth 20 easy. 32 is too much. if it was a 100% original resoration it might be worth that but there are too many things they have modded/changed. if there is NO signs of ANY rust I might negotiate up to 25 but I think that would be my top dollar.

jleews6

Established Member
It looks like a nice car and it has the shiny paint but its not 35 thousand nice. Just looking quick the things I noticed were ,
Its not a Hipo 289 car, it's just a regular 289 2 barrel but someone put "hipo" emblems on it.
Its not supposed to have a Shelby hood,
It looks like it has jap floors in it,:xpl:

It looks like a nice car but for that money there are much nicer cars out there. Tell your dad to take his time because right now there is tons of nice cars out there that can be bought on the money.

Woody6799

Established Member
8k is too low. it is worth 20 easy. 32 is too much. if it was a 100% original resoration it might be worth that but there are too many things they have modded/changed. if there is NO signs of ANY rust I might negotiate up to 25 but I think that would be my top dollar.

This. Number matching cars are in a league of their own and personally thats what I would be looking for with this type of money. I also dont like the upgrades under the hood, just makes me feel like the car has been tainted from its original state. I am kind of a purist in that regard. Move on to the next IMO

sixt5

Established Member
do some lookin around. its a 65 vert, not a super rare car and it doesnt even have the orginal motor.

20k should buy a pristine car

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
That's what I said. My dad offered him $27 or $28K and the guy said he didnt want any less than $32K.

It looks like a nice driver, but nothing over 29K to get it right.

The guy may be holding out since it is Resale Red.

E

65fastback2+2

Established Member

this

Id do $35k....but it better be an optioned car that is 100% concourse correct and a multi-show winner.

as is...$22-25k would be fair value

way too many things changed on it to be worth top dollar....and its missing the rarer options that would make it bring that money

65fastback2+2

Established Member
This. Number matching cars are in a league of their own and personally thats what I would be looking for with this type of money. I also dont like the upgrades under the hood, just makes me feel like the car has been tainted from its original state. I am kind of a purist in that regard. Move on to the next IMO

hood scoop, hood pins, motor, transmission, 9" rear, GT stuff, power drum brakes (not factory manual discs)....too much has been changed

Users who are viewing this thread