My Gradual Build (Quest for a Powerful Street GT500, always hungry for more)

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
null_zpsc343c119.jpg

null_zps66510dc9.jpg

null_zpsb3353f60.jpg

*****************UPDATES**************************
I will use this section of the thread to update each post so that everyone doesn't have to read each page of the thread.
In the order of most recent to the earliest part of the build.

Click on each Link to see the updated post with pictures.

1-27-2014

Motor Sent to L&M Engines to get new parts for more power. Includes New CNC Ported Heads and custom L&M Race turbo cams.

10-4-2013
th_null_zpse40d8564.jpg
Mostly complete with the engine bay area. Coolant Reservoir attached to the radiator.

10-4-2013
th_null_zps45b26ea5.jpg
ProEFI sensors in, custom D3PE radiator, coolant reservoir and vacuum manifold

09-30-2013
th_null_zpsb344b3d2.jpg
Trunk Coolant tank, Close up of catch can, and Relocation of stock ECM and ProEFI.

09-28-2013
th_null_zpsa22b2a7a.jpg
3 inch exhaust from turbos back. Custom X-pipe leading to magnaflow 3 inch exhaust with magnapack mufflers.

09-25-2013
th_null_zpsc7e8f6a2.jpg
Charge Pipes and Catch Can done. Majority of the turbo kit done.

09-20-2013
th_null_zpsd414cb4c.jpg
Hotsides completely done with wastegates and dumptubes attached and rerouted to exhaust. Intake with throttle body attached awaiting chargepipes.

09-19-2013
th_intaketophat2_zps9ca98f2f.jpg
New aluminum forward facing SC eliminator top at with circle throttle body flange.

09-13-2013
th_null_zpsad3d15b1.jpg
80% of the hotside done, downpipes made with transitions, and v-bands put on.

09-11-2013
th_null_zpsc5739161.jpg
More pictures of the manifold all welded up with slip fit connector brackets welded on with retaining springs.

09-06-2013
th_sp16agt500_zpsd128c6c6.jpg
New street duty wheels are made. CCW SP16a Hybrids.

09-05-2013
th_null_zps47731254.jpg
Formation and final stages of fabricating the turbo headers together.

08-29-2013
th_nitrousexpress_zpsb14d5906.jpg
Nitrogen Assisted Nitrous Oxide Piggyback onto Nitrous Express dry kit and JPC Billet motor mounts for BMR K-Member.

08-28-2013
th_flange_zpsfd8ced3e.jpg
New CNC Flange for the custom intake and steel braided teflon -AN lines for vacuum lines.

08-26-2013
th_null_zps6f876285.jpg
Beginning fabrication of the turbo headers.

08-25-2013
th_556451_394864637279940_502949318_n_zps961c7ded.jpg
Burns 4-1 merge collector received. Made of 321 Stainless.

08-25-2013
th_null_zps0fadf012.jpg
Initial car build with Hellion turbo kit and built motor. Then came the first purchase of the recent build, ProEFI Standalone ECU Arrives with all the goodies.

Last edited:

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member

Initial Build.
I figured that I should start chronicling my 2010 GT500 build. My intentions for this car is to compete in mild drag racing events and roll racing events and be able to drive to and from those events with AC and all amenities in tact. I purchased the car in the beginning of 2011 from an older gentlemen who blew the motor over-reving it. The original block was replaced with a MMR1000 block and the original blower was ditched for a Kenne Bell 2.8H from the original owner.

3374bfff.jpg

P1000342.jpg

When I got the car it had dynoed around 700hp. I enjoyed the car for about 6 months and then I got use to the power and wanted something more and something different. I've always owned turbo cars in the past and I loved that you can control boost through a controller. So my build (for the way I wanted the car) went underway. I chose the Hellion kit because of the less modifications needed to be done to the car and I felt it was truly a bolt-on kit. I upgraded and got the precision 6466 ball bearing turbos.
48dc0561.jpg

iphonepictures037_zps794d9da0.jpg

I also chose to upgrade the rotating assembly to something more stout so I bought Manley billet rods, MMR2500 Pistons, and a cryo-treated cobra jet crank.
fe055e6f.jpg

105807ff.jpg

ac293b24.jpg

In my heads I upgraded to MMR springs, Ferrea Valves, and Ford GT Supercar cams.
e0129931.jpg

I then upgraded my fuel system because I knew the Kenne Bell Boost a pump wasn't going to cut it so I purchased a whole JPC fuel system with Triple walbro 400lph pumps and -8 fuel lines feeding Injector Dynamics ID2000s.
df21b15e.jpg

2ae890c1.jpg

I had everything assembled and put together with a new BMR K-member hoping to eventually go automatic so I knew I needed more room to relocate the wastegates to fit the auto under the car.
0570B8FF-7FD7-48B8-AA8B-E2DCB8DFB369-1775-00000091C2572AD1.jpg

C7BCAB50-D790-466C-ABF9-A48BA9F089DA-1775-00000091BAB66406.jpg

We had the supercharger off and put a top hat on to see what it would do non compounded.
We had manual boost controller issues and we didn't want to tackle the AMS1000 yet. The car dynoed 957hp @ 16 lbs of boost with out the supercharger. We could not get the manual boost controller to go past 16 psi (it was probably faulty). The boost came on a little lazy with out the compound setup.
We then put on the compound setup with out changing the boost controller setting at all it felt like the car made a lot more power but at 35 lbs of boost and the boost kicked on a much sooner. We couldn't get the horsepower reading because the car became really violent on the dyno and we saw wheel spin on the rollers. We needed to dyno the car with bigger tires because we had on street tires. The car gained almost 300 lbs of torque at 4000 rpm with the compound setup.
The Green was without supercharger the red was compounded. See the difference in midrange torque

photo1_zps150f7b45.jpg

The car was done right at TX2k event and I took the car out and played with a couple of other high horsepower cars. I enjoyed the car for a little more than 3 months and then I decided that I wanted a little more control out of my setup so I decided to redo my build again but with better components all together and get a stand alone computer to control everything. The hellion kit is a good kit and I felt that it made great power but now I want a more custom kit with better components, room to grow, and better efficiency with out compounding.I also did not want to deal with relocating everything when I decide to go automatic, which is probably real soon. I initially did not want relocate a bunch of FORD OEM parts in the engine bay (hellion was great about that) but now I feel it's needed for what I really want in a turbo kit.
Auto Adrenaline Performance Did everything here my motor build hellion turbo kit and SCT tune.

......And so my current build is underway.
Again.

And now with more money in the pit.....

First Purchase of the new project and First Piece of the puzzle.
So now my car is at a local shop called D3 Performance Engineering. They specialize in custom fabrication and custom engine management wiring.
I felt that the Ford ECM was limited in controls and capabilities so I decided to purchase a Pro EFI system with all the accessories.
All the accessories:
- Pro128 Production ECU Kit
- Pro128 Plug and Pin Kit with ECU Comm Cable
- CAN Cable Kit (Leaf Light Cable and DB9 Can adapter)
- Fuel Pressure Sensor kit
- Oil pressure sensor kit
- Nitrous Pressure sensor kit
- 5bar Map sensor kit
- Air Temp Sensor with Plug and pins
- Coolant Sensor with Plug and Pins
- (x2) - LSU 4.2 O2 Sensor Kit (Sensor and Harness)
- 5 position I-Boost Switch + Boost control solenoid
- (x2) - Exhaust Backpressure Sensor kit with 7 bar sensor
- 4 Channel Ghost Monitor (for wheel speed)
- Flex fuel sensor kit
- (2) 4 Channel Ignitor Kits

null_zps0fadf012.jpg

Here is the custom harness to connect everything to the car.
null_zpsfd4aee0f.jpg

Since the GT500 RPM gauges didn't display high RPM I opted for the racepak IQ3 to monitor anything and everything.
null_zpsb421a55f.jpg

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
:eek: HOLY ALL OUT AWESOME! Are you back halfing that thing or what? How the heck are you gonna get it to hook?

I can't wait to follow this build, it's gonna be epic.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
:eek: HOLY ALL OUT AWESOME! Are you back halfing that thing or what? How the heck are you gonna get it to hook?

I can't wait to follow this build, it's gonna be epic.

:) No back halving the car at all. This car is going to stay a street car.

I will use the proefi to control traction on the street. It will also be used together with boost by speed, at the lower speeds the car will boost less to make traction and ramp up boost to gain more speed.

Here is a video demo on how well the traction control works:
[youtube_browser]phrfUvKYZpA[/youtube_browser]

http://youtu.be/phrfUvKYZpA

Last edited:

oneslo5.0

Established Member
My buddy has the proEFI on his supra and it's a NICE system, not cheap....but nice.

Awesome build.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome. I've been really thinking about pulling the blower off of my car. Looks like it's a huge restriction up top power wise, but also makes a huge difference in torque down low.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
Awesome. I've been really thinking about pulling the blower off of my car. Looks like it's a huge restriction up top power wise, but also makes a huge difference in torque down low.

There isn't really a restriction up top. Tony Alm made 1200hp with the blower. torque comes on really early with the blower. you just have to run 35+ psi to get the power you want out of it. the supercharger accounts for a lot of the boost pressure and it's hard to find out if your turbos are in the efficiency range. If you run close to 40 psi or over to get the turbos in the efficiency range.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
There isn't really a restriction up top. Tony Alm made 1200hp with the blower. torque comes on really early with the blower. you just have to run 35+ psi to get the power you want out of it. the supercharger accounts for a lot of the boost pressure and it's hard to find out if your turbos are in the efficiency range. If you run close to 40 psi or over to get the turbos in the efficiency range.

I'm at 20 pounds now and melted 3 pistons out of my block on pump gas. Really don't want to go to race gas as I want to be able to drive the car anywhere at anytime, and there isn't any E85 around here. New motor just went in Friday night though - going to have a new tune done on it and spray meth this time around. If I get more into the track thing, maybe I'll look into getting a race tune just for that, but right now it's 99.9% street driven.

Hoping to make some more power with a cleaner tune and meth. Would like to see 800-850 out of it.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
I'm at 20 pounds now and melted 3 pistons out of my block on pump gas. Really don't want to go to race gas as I want to be able to drive the car anywhere at anytime, and there isn't any E85 around here. New motor just went in Friday night though - going to have a new tune done on it and spray meth this time around. If I get more into the track thing, maybe I'll look into getting a race tune just for that, but right now it's 99.9% street driven.

Hoping to make some more power with a cleaner tune and meth. Would like to see 800-850 out of it.

It sounds like you had an aggressive tune on there before with advanced timing.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
Dry Nitrous Express kit w/nano nitrogen, controlled though the ProEFI. Also at the bottom is solid motormounts for the bmr k-member.
za9asesu.jpg

null_zps8feb98da.jpg

Last edited:

luv2spedup

Established Member
great build man... a couple of my friends have Pro EFI on there high hp supra, and its simply amazing how good the traction control is on the pro efi... good luck with the build

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
great build man... a couple of my friends have Pro EFI on there high hp supra, and its simply amazing how good the traction control is on the pro efi... good luck with the build

Yep,
Thats how you drive a 1200 hp car on the streets. The traction control feature is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread