My intercooler lines and pump upgrades

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Yeah, You are correct. The faster the flow the more efficient the cooling will be. The way I see it is, Keep the tank in the trunk. It will prevent the engine bay tempatures effecting the colder fluid. If you look around at people that go with the KC. The ones that have larger IC tanks in the engine bay, Alot of them have wrapped it up in some form of insulation to keep the colder fluid in and the hotter engine bay temps out. Also if you decide to keep the tank in the trunk, and go with the KC you may want to insulate that as well. It may pool alot of water from condensation on the tank. But I'm not sure....Its only what I have heard from a few people.

Now onto the Jabsco pump. Its a nice pump and its what I plan on doing over the next few weeks. I may also plan on upgrading the lines to allow more colder fluid. (I think will help) Along with Amsoil Dominator coolant and things should be good.

Anyways, There are other things you can do to keep temps more cool. I have some ideas but I'm not exactly sure if they would work. Anyways I'm curious to see how this all turns out!

I want to get rid of the tank also because im not happy with how the lines are ran over the IRS. I think it's affecting my flow some and they prevent my wheel well liner from mounting flush against the body. I'm currently using 3/8 ID heater hose. If I do keep the trunk tank should i put the jabsco pump in the oem pump location or do i need to mount the pump next to the tank?

What exactly do you mean by upgrading your lines? What are you using and what are you planning on changing?

keith89

Established Member
I want to get rid of the tank also because im not happy with how the lines are ran over the IRS. I think it's affecting my flow some and they prevent my wheel well liner from mounting flush against the body. I'm currently using 3/8 ID heater hose. If I do keep the trunk tank should i put the jabsco pump in the oem pump location or do i need to mount the pump next to the tank?

What exactly do you mean by upgrading your lines? What are you using and what are you planning on changing?

I run 3/4" hose with my trunk mounted tank and had no problems running the lines over the IRS even with my return fuel feed line. I have a killer chiller with the trunk mounted tank and my IC fluid is definitely colder in the trunk than when i had the tank mounted in the engine bay with the killer chiller. The under-hood heat would really warm up the aluminum tank I had.

You definitely need to mount the jabsco pump in the trunk next to or lower than the tank.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I run 3/4" hose with my trunk mounted tank and had no problems running the lines over the IRS even with my return fuel feed line. I have a killer chiller with the trunk mounted tank and my IC fluid is definitely colder in the trunk than when i had the tank mounted in the engine bay with the killer chiller. The under-hood heat would really warm up the aluminum tank I had.

You definitely need to mount the jabsco pump in the trunk next to or lower than the tank.

Let me be more specific, theres a few spots where the lines route over my IRS and it looks like the line is crushed alittle.

Any pics of your set-up? Did you eliminate the oem reservoir in the engine bay or did you leave it there to monitor flow?i

SVTDice

Established Member
Sorry man, I should have been more specific on the intercooler lines. The intercooler system is is made up of 3/4th lines and 5/8th lines. If you have more overall flow in the system from the larger lines and less restriction it allows more fluid in the lines to transfer and dissipation of more heat. (And allow more cold fluid to the Intercooler) If you use the KC setup. If that makes sense. I'm kind of tired right now. I'll edit it in the morning...if I made any mistakes.

Its pretty popular with the lightening guys I'm going to post up some videos and some reading material for you. I have yet to do this, But if I have the ability to do it. Then I will.

Jabsco Intercooler Pump 2003 HD - YouTube

Guys with 3/4" intercooler lines. - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I just ordered the Jabsco pump thanks to Keith for the link! Looks like I'll need to get fittings for it. I looked at the vid and that thin is really pushing some fluid! Im going to have to figure out how to mount the new pump on the tank. Kinda makes me want to get a different tank but I'm on somewhat of a budget. If you don't mind I would appreciate you posting more info when you get the chance. I don't know about running braided lines, that would be expensive for the length needed and all the fittings required....

Sorry man, I should have been more specific on the intercooler lines. The intercooler system is is made up of 3/4th lines and 5/8th lines. If you have more overall flow in the system from the larger lines and less restriction it allows more fluid in the lines to transfer and dissipation of more heat. (And allow more cold fluid to the Intercooler) If you use the KC setup. If that makes sense. I'm kind of tired right now. I'll edit it in the morning...if I made any mistakes.

Its pretty popular with the lightening guys I'm going to post up some videos and some reading material for you. I have yet to do this, But if I have the ability to do it. Then I will.

Jabsco Intercooler Pump 2003 HD - YouTube

Guys with 3/4" intercooler lines. - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com

keith89

Established Member
Let me be more specific, theres a few spots where the lines route over my IRS and it looks like the line is crushed alittle.

Any pics of your set-up? Did you eliminate the oem reservoir in the engine bay or did you leave it there to monitor flow?i

Yeah I took quite some time to find a good route over the IRS to make sure the lines don't crush. I also used heat wrap and some external hose coils for bends so it does not cave on itself.

I removed the tank in the oem location. IMO it is extra weight and with the trunk mounted reservoir, you do not need the extra capacity and the engine heating up the fluid in the tank. I ended up getting a custom tank that's rectangular so there's enough room to mount the jabsco pump next to it in the spare tire well. I offset the clear lid to the side so that the flow of the return port is visible. I will post pictures of the tank setup tonight if I have time. I don't really have any pictures of how i ran the hose though.

Oh and you can get fittings for the jabsco pump at mcmaster.com. The ports on the pump are 3/4" npt.

SVTDice

Established Member
I'm not sure how much more information I can give you regarding the lines. Considering I don't have any test data on me. I have found a thread about installing the Jabsco in the stock location and that's what I'm planning on doing. I posted on the bottom in that thread on where to find the fittings. I also found them later that week in Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. You are looking for 3/4th to 3/4 NPT Fittings. However since you plan on mounting it in he trunk it seems like its going to be a little tricky. I'm going to try to find a alternative for larger lines at a better price.

But yeah, If you have any questions let me know. I'm going to do some more digging but no promises I can come up with any more hard data.

(Edit) By the way if you do get the killer chiller get the newest one. Generation 3. It comes with the larger orifice tube and it helps quite a bit. Paired with the 12A Industrial I believe it can push Sub 32 degree temps for your intercooler fluid. But the absolute best thing you can do for that is insulate the hell out of the lines, tank, etc. The more heat you keep out, The absolute better. If I were you I would go with the theory of "Overkill is underrated" Especially if you plan on tracking. You may also want to ditch your H/E and just run the Killer Chiller. Reason being is the Killerchiller is actually fighting the H/E. While the Killerchiller lower temps, your H/E Is heating them up from outside air. If that makes sense.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/838138-jabsco-ic-pump.html

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I should have the pump by next week if not sooner and I'll run to home depot to get the 3/4 fittings. It's looking like I need to get new 3/4 heater hose according to a couple of you so as to maximize the efficiency of the new jabsco pump. Am I right to think that the jabsco pump cannont be located inside my current trunk mounted tank? If not I will have to figure out a way to mount it to the tank on in my fenderwell.

another option would be to purchase a new tank that is built to have the jabsco mounted on the outside. If thats the case how much can I expect for around a 3-5 gal tank and where should i go to buy it? My current tank is just a custom made box from the previous owner. Not bad quality at all IMO.

SVTDice

Established Member
Honestly, If the old tank works. Keep it, Just start brainstorming on where you can mount it in the trunk. For the heater hose they have some good quality cheap stuff on Amazon, I'll link it.

But yeah, For the most part what you're doing is kind of a first when it comes to the larger lines. I have not heard of any Cobra guys doing it, Just Lightening guys. So you're going to be the first that I know of...Up for a challenge? Haha.

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Heater-Hose-50-Black/dp/B000KKNBXS/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2

SVT_Troy

Established Member
your the man! So now I'll need to drop the tank and remove the tank I have because I want to re-do the lid as it leaks alittle. Then my main thing will be how to mount my pump outside the tank in the spare tire well securely. Maybe I can make a small bracket and use self tapping bolts the bracket to the sheet metal in the well. My wiring is already ran back there to a relay and a switch in the cab that I use to manually turn on the I/C fan and pump.

Wait we are talking about having 3/4'' ID not OD right?

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Now looking at the link has me thinking if its worth buying higher quality heater hose or not. It has been seen that coating all the hoses to resist the outside heat is good. With that said would it be better to just buy a higher quality heater hose that IMO will resist more to kinks and insulate better? Granted I can't see myself paying $100 for 20' of 3/4 hose but maybe this could be found somewhere else cheaper or another higher quality brand. would it be worth it?

Vibrant Performance ::.

I'm seeing some pretty good quality hoses 3/4'' ID x 50' rolls on ebay for under a 100. If its worth it as far as insulation i'll get it....

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
I got lucky with an amazon price screw up and got 50 feet of dayco heater hose for $16. This was 2 years ago and they have since fixed it. I don't think the jabsco can be installed in tank as it is a circulation pump and not a bilge pump. I do recommend having a new tank made so you can fit the pump next to it in the spare tire well. If you get a killer chiller, you do not need an overly large tank(I went form 6 gallon to 3 gallons).

Also, I do not recommend mounting the jabsco in the stock location with just a trunk mounted tank. The inlet of the jabsco pump does not like to suck fluid. It is a pushing pump. I know someone has a walkthrough of how they mounted it in the stock position, but they also had a IC tank in the stock location so the pump is gravity fed. With the hose going up and over the IRS, I'm not sure how the pump will react in the stock location. I'm not saying it won't work. Just not sure how well if it does.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Yea Your lucky to get a deal like that! Ill probably end up buying some decent quality line off eBay. I'm tracking now that the pump need to be in the trunk and as low as the tank. It is about a 5-6 gallon I do believe. When I do get a KC we will see how it works then but for now I'll keep what I have and just remove the bulge pump thats currently installed inside. I may be able to fab up something to get it mounted in the area.

Here's a pic I have on my phitbucket of my current tank
IMG952145.jpg

SVTDice

Established Member
That's a pretty nice tank actually! As for the hose, Go with what your budget allows! But as far as I know, most heater hose does the same. Keeps the heat out, Should work on the same concept of keeping the cold in. That's some really nice hose you linked up there but its pricey. I'm not sure even if you had the money to justify buying it. I'll try to look around for some stuff maybe find a wholesale retailer or something. How much hose are you looking to buy total by the way?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
That's a pretty nice tank actually! As for the hose, Go with what your budget allows! But as far as I know, most heater hose does the same. Keeps the heat out, Should work on the same concept of keeping the cold in. That's some really nice hose you linked up there but its pricey. I'm not sure even if you had the money to justify buying it. I'll try to look around for some stuff maybe find a wholesale retailer or something. How much hose are you looking to buy total by the way?

Yea it is nice hose not to mention the better quality hose should prevent kinking and the hose colapsing while routed over the IRS. If my memory serves me correctly I needed around 2 lengths of 20' hose. I want about 50' total of 3/4'' because I'm going to eliminate my OEM reservior.

Amazon.com: Dayco 93038 Fuel Line Ea.: Automotive

This is the hose I used. I got it for a steal on a pricing error. :banana:

I looked them up on there site and theres no info about this hose as far as specs

keith89

Established Member
Yea it is nice hose not to mention the better quality hose should prevent kinking and the hose colapsing while routed over the IRS. If my memory serves me correctly I needed around 2 lengths of 20' hose. I want about 50' total of 3/4'' because I'm going to eliminate my OEM reservior.

I looked them up on there site and theres no info about this hose as far as specs

Yeah i took a gamble on it because it was so cheap at the time. It's basically the same as radiator hose only it's 3/4" diameter.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Got the pump in today and picked up he 3/4" fittings for it. I will need to buy new lines but that's not a necessity at the moment. Right now I need to figure out how I'm goin to route the new pump in the trunk. Im thinking I'm goig to make a plate to move the tank back 4" In the spare tire well where it's currently mounted and then bolt the pump in front of the tank bolted to the plate I'm going to make. I want to make a plate to bolt the pump and shift the tank back because I don't want to drill a new set of holes in the trunk pan on top of the four I have for the current mounting of the tank. With this setup my pump will be lower than the tank which should be good as I'm understanding that the pump pushes better than it sucks so having the pump lower should help with that.

If anyone else has any ideas Im open to them!

Users who are viewing this thread