My intercooler lines and pump upgrades

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Weird on the color under your car and trunk. My entire car is yellow, underside, trunk and all lol. I noticed on the 2011 GT 500 which is grey the underside and trunk are a greenish color too.

I feel your pain on the lines going by the exhaust. Still need to figure out something with my fuel lines. Not much space there to make it from trunk to front without getting near exhaust.

Yea it will not be good if my insulation burns....there just isnt alot of options.... maybe tack some sort of heat shield inbetween..... Kinda like the shield on motor cycles between the inside of the fairings and the bike.....

SlowYellow

Established Member
Still working on her now but took a break to post a few pics! Is there anywhere that sells paint close to the oem green thats in the trunk? Whats the name of a color thats close? I need to tape everything off and paint the mounts so they don't rust.

No break for you. Work! So that you can make the cruise sunday morning. :beer:

The color almost looks like the self etching green primer that you can get at advance auto. If it were me, I'd just prime it and shoot it all black. But that's just me. Looks good man.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
No break for you. Work! So that you can make the cruise sunday morning. :beer:

The color almost looks like the self etching green primer that you can get at advance auto. If it were me, I'd just prime it and shoot it all black. But that's just me. Looks good man.

Haha that's what I'm shooting for. I have to help a friend move today. I probably won't be able to work on her until later today again bu I'm going to auto zone and home depot to get everything I need early. I should be able to finish her tonite!

Text me the location for tomorrow.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Ok so i'm pretty much done. Just have to add fluid and start her up to check for leaks and make sure my lines aren't going to burn! Going with a half prestone 50/50 and half distilled water.

Malcom here is what I thought up to help prevent damage to the lines from the exhaust. It You have to take the time to carefully cut the threads so you can spread it out and I used stainless zip ties. Hoping it reflects the heat as advertised!

f6463761.jpg

794e0c86.jpg

da1d8d5a.jpg

bdf46e7d.jpg

35389ad0.jpg

I'll take some better pics when i'm done checking for leaks and pull her outside!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I wasn't able to take her for a drive but I did let her idle in my garage for alittle over 30 mins.
I'm seeing 20+* less than my previous set-up at idle! So far I'm very pleased about it. IAT1 was 93*, charge temp was only 123*. It stayed there constant for 30 minutes. Before my temps would have got to 150+ sitting in the garage like that! I can't wait to go drive around and see how she does. Before while driving I would see on average IAT1's 50* higher than charge temp.

SVTDice

Established Member
Man that looks GREAT! I'm jealous. You did a fantastic job. Now for the fluid mixture, You can get away 70/30 or even 80/20. Some people run just straight Distilled water. However you have too look out for rust and corrosion. That's why alot of people use Water Wetter/Royal Purple ice/Amsoil Dominator with there setups to fight off the corrosion. But as far as I know, The higher the % of water, The better the cooling is....In theory.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Yea I just went with half 50/50 and distilled water. The ratio should be lower as im using 50/50 instead of straight radiator fluid anyway.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Malcom here is what I thought up to help prevent damage to the lines from the exhaust. It You have to take the time to carefully cut the threads so you can spread it out and I used stainless zip ties. Hoping it reflects the heat as advertised!

Very cool. Can you grab the hose before and after the heat shielding and feel how hot the hose is? basically gauging how much heat is absorbing into the house. I need to do something like that myself. Was that from summit racing?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Very cool. Can you grab the hose before and after the heat shielding and feel how hot the hose is? basically gauging how much heat is absorbing into the house. I need to do something like that myself. Was that from summit racing?

I didn't drive her yesterday but I let her idle in the garage on stands for alittle over 30 mins getting her up to temp and before I shut it down I could touch the lines under the shielding no problem. I do know forsure the heat shield deflects the heat. How much/enough is what I'll find out down the road. When I get a chance I'm going to do some crusing/WOT pulls, come back home put her on stands and inspect everything. I have one part where I wish my shielding was maybe a half a foot longer to cover alittle more.

I first saw the shielding on summit but wanted something right away. What I got was at my local Advanced Auto for around $15 for a piece 3 foot long. It was a sleeve so I had to take a hobby knife to carefully cut the thread to open it up. Summit has more options and I bet they may have something in higher quality. Also I'd recommend metal/stainless zip ties instead of plastic for obvious reasons ;)

Regardless Malcolm I think some thick heat shielding will ease your worries :beer:

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Sadly Iv'e barely driven her....... I drove her to work once last week which was stop and go traffic for about 15 mins one way. I was seeing 10* less than previous temps but dang is it hot outside. hotter than its been. I'm waiting on doing some cruising and pulls on the freeway before I really decide. All the insulation is really going to show when I go the killer chiller later. I don't think it will help much unless you go K/C or putting ice in the reservoir in the trunk.

On top of that the lines ran through the passenger side front wheel well are rubbing slightly and I havn't figured out a good way to run the lines to stop it yet

SVTDice

Established Member
Man, I'm sitting in the same boat as you are now. Too damn hot. I really need to replace my intercooler pump, I thought it still had some life in it so I took it out for a cruise with my club and I was seeing coolant tempatures up to 220 degree's and IAT2's up to 160...It made me cringe and made me really regret taking her out. I just really wanted to test the alternator. In 100 degree weather ofcourse...:shrug:

But I'm not driving her a foot more untill I get my new pump. I'm pretty sure my coolant temp's are that high because of my dying IC pump... but I'm flushing my both coolant systems when I get a chance just to make sure.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
yea man I definitely feel ya. I really am thinking about putting my car up for the year already..... I just have too many things I want to do without the time or money.... I need tires and the FTBR kit bad..... Also need to do pads,rotors,lines fresh fluid and want to change out the blower.....

Its been 100+ here everyday The day I drove my car it was like 102* and my charge temps were reading 145*......way better than my old setup but I really wasnt driving her hard or far so who knows.....

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
yea man I definitely feel ya. I really am thinking about putting my car up for the year already..... I just have too many things I want to do without the time or money.... I need tires and the FTBR kit bad..... Also need to do pads,rotors,lines fresh fluid and want to change out the blower.....

Its been 100+ here everyday The day I drove my car it was like 102* and my charge temps were reading 145*......way better than my old setup but I really wasnt driving her hard or far so who knows.....

I am seeing about the same with my setup in 100 degree heat. OEM reservoir and pump with Dual Pass HE on a 100 degree day:

IAT2-101TEMP.jpg

I think once your system is fully heated that it is not going to offer much more efficiency than an OEM pump and reservoir system. Plus with the insulation on the lines you are keeping the heat in for the length of the car. If they were uninsulated they could actually release some heat while going to the tank.

Now when you go Killer Chiller like you're planning I think you are going to love it. With your large volume of cold water it should take longer to heat the fluid and you should be able to do back to back pulls on the street and not have to worry about having timing pulled.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Earico I agree with you 100 % on once the fluid is heated up its all the same. My insulated setup was solely purposed to complement a Killer chiller! The other benifit prior to me getting a KC will be the fluid staying cooler longer if/when I dump ice in the trunk mounted tank.

Users who are viewing this thread