My intercooler lines and pump upgrades

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I got the last line ran earlier today but need to finish it. Had to put in family time today, about to go work on it some more now and take some pics for you since your interested. It's turning out pretty good IMHO. So far the only area I really could'nt insulate is the area ran over the IRS as there is barely room for the line without pinching it.

After that I have to put back on the bumper, wheels and cut up the passenger side wheel well liner for it will fit properly. Then is the task of remounting the tank/pump. I've brain stormed but have yet to even do a card board mock up.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
So I finished running the lines and started mocking up ideas for mounting the pump and tank.

I'm only concerned with one line and this one runs over the upper control arm. How far do they travel? Should I be good?

Last pics are of my "mock up" comments?

4ec25e87.jpg

03c096ad.jpg

60e08262.jpg

0f2839d0.jpg

238a6fed.jpg

7aff7bc1.jpg

1325f814.jpg

e932785c-1.jpg

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Iv'e cut away at quite a bit of my passenger side wheel well liner to get it to fit and its looking like about half of it is going to come off. Is that bad other than more road grim getting past it?

keith89

Established Member
Iv'e cut away at quite a bit of my passenger side wheel well liner to get it to fit and its looking like about half of it is going to come off. Is that bad other than more road grim getting past it?

I would have ran the hose next to the fuel tank and behind the trunk like you did, but I already have return fuel lines on both sides of the tank. Looks good though. You should be ok with the upper control arm clearance.

SVTDice

Established Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure wheel liners just keep the paint safer. Overall your setup is impressive. Now I can't tell you if the line is going to be safe or not from the wheel/control arm from wheel travel. But its not a 4x4 so I'm pretty sure you're OK.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Thanks a lot for the replies. A friend came over today and he's going to take some measurements and tack some studs onto the pan to mount the tank and pump. It won't be done by Friday so no track for me :( but I should turn out pretty good so after it all I'll probably re carpet the trunk to clean it up.

While I'm waiting I'm removing all the brake dust shields and cleaning up some stuff

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
Yeah for the most part, I guess the best thing you can do is just clean everything up. Not much more you can do honestly. Short of a KC. Maybe box in the Radiator and H/E But if you plan on going K/C Some time, It could be a possible waste of time and money to do that.

I'm still trying to come up with more ideas, Haha.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
yea man I can't wait to finish her up and see how it does. No real progress worth talking about yet. A friend has to come over and take some measurements but I bought the wrong material today so I'll see if i can get it right tom. Hopfeully he can come over tomorrow, take the measurement, material and get it cut this weekend. Now when he can come over and weld the pieces in is going to be a different story..... hoping it's done by at least next weekend......

SVTDice

Established Member
Ah after this, Just get out there and enjoy her. How long has your car been down for this little upgrade, A week or two? Hell I go stir crazy if I cant drive it every 3 days or so. That kind of makes me dread my future restoration project sometime this weekend or the next. Its a long list haha.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Very cool thread. I'm curious to see how that foam installation on the lines holds up next to the exhaust. I'm looking for something to insulate the fuel lines in my return fuel system. I noticed my fuel lines get nice and hot. My billet aluminum fuel filter which sits around passenger's door area gets really hot to the touch.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Very cool thread. I'm curious to see how that foam installation on the lines holds up next to the exhaust. I'm looking for something to insulate the fuel lines in my return fuel system. I noticed my fuel lines get nice and hot. My billet aluminum fuel filter which sits around passenger's door area gets really hot to the touch.

Thanks man, the insulation is going to really help once I go killer chiller! But for now the main thing I'm changing is the order at which he coolant flows trough the system, pump, insulating lines and bigger lines. I double zip tied the one line that I ran along side the one portion of the exhaust to get it as far back as I could. I'll measure when I get home how far the insulation is away from the exhaust.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Whats the best type of clamp to connect a line inside my tank without chance of corrosion? Zip ties are out of the question. I'm thinking an all stainless clamp? Will they rust over time?

SVTDice

Established Member
Whats the best type of clamp to connect a line inside my tank without chance of corrosion? Zip ties are out of the question. I'm thinking an all stainless clamp? Will they rust over time?

All stainless or anything with a zinc coating. However overall its better to do fully Stainless Steel, No chance of the coating wearing off like the Zinc.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Made some progress today! Added some wire and soldered in connectors so I have the ability to disconnect the pump instead of cutting wires if I have a problem with the pump. Also my friend just sent me pics of the mount progress. He's going to weld the mount seen in the pics to square bar and weld the square bar to my trunk pan. The tank will be bolted to the mount. This will also have my tank higher than the pump which should be better in feeding the pump with fluid. the mount will be permanent but I will now be able to easily remove the tank.

94bed179.jpg

dfdaf286.jpg

19ca604f.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Still working on her now but took a break to post a few pics! Is there anywhere that sells paint close to the oem green thats in the trunk? Whats the name of a color thats close? I need to tape everything off and paint the mounts so they don't rust.

23672245.jpg

4d66ff54.jpg

6dbafbc5.jpg

34ffcd38.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Oh wow that's huge. For some reason I was thinking you were doing a lower profile container that would fit under the carpet so the trunk was still usable. That's my plan anyways. I want to make a wider container that will fit in there.

As for OEM green in trunk, not sure. What color is your car? My trunk was painted yellow from the factory just like the outside of my car.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Oh wow that's huge. For some reason I was thinking you were doing a lower profile container that would fit under the carpet so the trunk was still usable. That's my plan anyways. I want to make a wider container that will fit in there.

As for OEM green in trunk, not sure. What color is your car? My trunk was painted yellow from the factory just like the outside of my car.

No I just reused the tank I had previously. Its around a 5 gallon tank. I wanted it higher than the pump so gravity would help feed the pump. I don't use my trunk for anything so I'm good to go. It's alot more sturdier than how it was done previously and I hope to see really good results overall after im done. Now I'm only worried about how I have my lines ran and them being crushed or burned by the exhaust...... I should be finished tomorrow and If I get a chance i'll drive her around alittle, lift her back up and check all the lines. :shrug:

Oh my car is black but the trunk along with the entire undercarriage is painted a light greenish color. Had to be done from the factory....

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Weird on the color under your car and trunk. My entire car is yellow, underside, trunk and all lol. I noticed on the 2011 GT 500 which is grey the underside and trunk are a greenish color too.

I feel your pain on the lines going by the exhaust. Still need to figure out something with my fuel lines. Not much space there to make it from trunk to front without getting near exhaust.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
What fluid combo are people seeing the best results with? 50/50 distilled water and radiator fluid? Straight distilled water? My car stays in the garage so freezing temps are of no concern.

Users who are viewing this thread