My new 2021 F150 XLT Supercrew

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Steeda bar came in yesterday. Will try to find time this weekend to install and document. Super excited to see how well this can help plant the rear end.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Steeda sway bar installed.
IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

I cannot say enough of how much I absolutely love Steeda. Part fits absolutely perfect with excellent instructions in the video on the webs page. Each part was packaged insanely well and everything is stainless or powdercoated.

From start to finish took about an hour to install. That includes a potty break for my 5 year old who was helping me. So easy to install that me and my 5 year old did it in our driveway. Super easy install and the adjustments are everywhere to fit any truck.

On the middle setting it’s a completely new truck. Body roll is significantly reduced and the jostling on highway expansion joints is nearly gone.

Huge thanks to Beefcake for the help in sourcing the part and being fast with the shipping. Got it to me in time for this weekend free time to get it installed.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Picked up the AFE “DAS” snorkel for cheap. Have to apologize to Beefcake as I went to another vendor which shipping sucked(took a week and a half). Won’t make that mistake again.

It’s quite a bit bigger than the OE snorkel. Should help keep the IATs down once moving.

IMG_2909.JPG

AFE measurements
IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

OE Measurements
IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

Installed
IMG_2914.JPG

Data logging it tomorrow to see cool down time during bumper to bumper traffic. Hoping for some results that show the reduction in intake temps between 5-15mph.

Doubt any performance increase overall but maybe help drop the intake temps when heat soaked quicker than the OE snorkel.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ordered the Faction Fab resonator delete. I tried the Walker pipes but they are built with the flange the opposite(using built in nuts) so this was the easy button. Its expensive for a piece of pipe but it was the ease of install and direct fitment that made me go this direction.

Hoping for slightly more turbo noise without drone. Ill be keeping my stock resonator in the event it adds any unwanted NVH interior to the cabin.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Plan to install the Faction Fab resonator delete this coming weekend.

On another note, oil pan might be leaking. Alot of seepage around the front of the pan and on the FX4 skid plate. Cleaned it and will recheck after driving the truck this week. Hoping its just residual oil from the oil change but not hopeful knowing the 2.7L oil pan issues in the past.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Oil pan not leaking. Shitty aftermarket oil drain plug from Dorman is to blame. The o-ring isnt even 1/2 the thickness of the OE drain plug. So headed back to have the plug swapped out and oil changed again.

Very surprised they didnt use an OE plug. The Dorman one is vastly different than the OE in every aspect.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Oil pan not leaking. Shitty aftermarket oil drain plug from Dorman is to blame. The o-ring isnt even 1/2 the thickness of the OE drain plug. So headed back to have the plug swapped out and oil changed again.

Very surprised they didnt use an OE plug. The Dorman one is vastly different than the OE in every aspect.

glad it wasnt the pan. Doorman can **** up anything it seems like. I leak tested the drain plug on my transmission pan before doing the fluid and filter change on the f150 transmission

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
glad it wasnt the pan. Doorman can **** up anything it seems like. I leak tested the drain plug on my transmission pan before doing the fluid and filter change on the f150 transmission
I could easily see Ford deny a warranty engine claim just on the grounds of improper oil drain plug with how much oil it was leaking day to day. Literally would puddle at every parking spot i usually park in at work and in my driveway at home.

Shop didnt really know and i dont blame them. Dorman touts that its direct replacement for the part numbers listed from Ford.

"Product Description​

This engine oil drain plug is designed to match the fit and function of an original equipment plug on specified vehicles. It is engineered to replace a missing or damaged plug and help ensure a secure seal.
  • Direct replacement - this engine oil drain plug is designed to match the fit and function of an original equipment plug on specified vehicles
  • Ideal solution - engineered to replace a missing or damaged plug and help ensure a secure seal
  • Durable construction - designed and manufactured to strict specifications for reliable performance
  • Trustworthy quality - backed by a team of product experts in the United States and more than a century of automotive experience"
What a crock of shit. Never again and will ensure that the shop knows to change my oil with OE shit from here on out.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Resonator delete is on. Cruise is still whisper quiet and at WOT it still sounds the same. Wondering what resonant frequency the resonator was targeting since i havent really heard much if any tone increase. Seems really expensive and could be eliminated to reduce costs for Ford.

Either way, im super happy it doesnt sound like a garbage truck.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Truck is right over the 50k mile mark. Starting to get floaty with the OE shock/struts and feel like by 60k they need to be replaced.

No plan to lift, level or lower the truck. Just want improved road holding, towing and hauling at the factory height.

The Options:
Bilstein B6 4600 - $430
Bilstein B8 5100 - $480
Belltech Street Performance - $413
Rancho RS5000X - $390
Koni STR.T LT - $420

I am very interested in the Belltech shocks as they are made by KW and Belltech is known in the street truck world as being top notch. Not a ton on the internet discussing these shocks at all but the very few threads ive read seem to think they are really great for an improved ride on a stock vehicle.

The Bilstein is the go-to for a high pressure monotube and is the only monotube on the list. The 4600 is the standard bolt on shock and are OE on some vehicles(including my old Lightning). The 5100 shock ive had before on my Colorado and they were absolutely fantastic.

Koni is known to nearly every enthusiast for performance dampers but these seem to be new to the truck market. Twin tube are their specialty and they do them well. Ive used Koni oranges in the past on other vehicles with excellent results but never on a truck.

The Rancho, like the Bilstein, is used on the OEM level with Ford's F series and GM HD trucks in the past. People either love them or hate them. Ive never had a truck with them but they are twin tube low pressure so they should ride quite well.

So i am overwhelmed by the amount of choices and where to go to get what i want in a new shock package for the truck.

Any advice/recommendations from those with experience?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i know you said you dont plan to change ride height but that's my main hesitation with the bilsteins, gotta take the damned thing off the truck and completely take it apart so better make sure you have that collar in the right spot on initial assembly

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i know you said you dont plan to change ride height but that's my main hesitation with the bilsteins, gotta take the damned thing off the truck and completely take it apart so better make sure you have that collar in the right spot on initial assembly
The Bilstein 4600 information sheet states its basically the same valving as the 5100 but with a non-adjustable height and painted yellow in lieu of the zinc coating. So i could go that route in instead of the height adjustable 5100. Its slightly cheaper and still a big bore monotube damper like the 5100.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The Bilstein 4600 information sheet states its basically the same valving as the 5100 but with a non-adjustable height and painted yellow in lieu of the zinc coating. So i could go that route in instead of the height adjustable 5100. Its slightly cheaper and still a big bore monotube damper like the 5100.

good to know, thanks. Trying to figure out what to do on my old truck with a 2" level. the front end needs going through

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I went with the Belltech Street Performance shock kit for stock height trucks. KW Automotive is the owner of Belltech and KW knows its damper technology. Really hoping they nailed the more sporting side of the F150 with these.

They shipped yesterday so hope to see them by early next week.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Belltech Street Performance shocks came in. They look super beefy. Might try to install the rears this weekend. Will take a lift to replace the fronts.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty sure i just scored a Borla Touring exhaust kit for the 2021+ F150 for $450.

If its complete its nearly $1000 off the price. Even if it needs clamps or tips its a total steal.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
And it came. It’s a full system Borla exhaust. Missing clamps but that is it.

$450 for the exhaust. $60 for Borla clamps(4).

Original price of the exhaust is $1552.99 from Borla.

Saved $1,042 on this gamble.

IMG_3123.JPG

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Borla exhaust is on, Belltech street performance shocks are installed and an alignment performed. Truck feels great.

Exhaust is subtle around town and actually quieted the truck back to OE levels on part throttle. Idle is quiet anywhere except next to the tips where you can hear the straight through mufflers. WOT sounds...well....like an Ecoboost. Overall happy with it and wouldnt even dare going to anything else that could potentially be louder.

Struts and shocks feel good. Got rid of the floaty feeling over large undulations/expansion joints. The rear is vastly better than before where it doesnt want to continue to pogo after a bridge expansion joint. Want to see how it feels with weight on the back while towing to give the full thumbs up but for now they feel quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread