My TT build thread

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Mauro pulled the plugs this morning, and they were black and caked . He took them to a well respected local engine builder, and he said it looked like we still may be able to get the rings to seat, but to lean the car out a lot. So we took the 80# injectors out and put a set of 60's in. then changed the oil, filter, and plugs. Started the car up tonight and it smoked a little. I drove the car about 10 miles in 3rd gear at 45 mph and 3k rpm. Kept the car idling while I filled it up with gas, then drove another 5-6 miles the same way. It seemed to run fine, and wasn't smoking. Got it back to the shop and let it idle another 10 mins or so, without smoking. Mauro drove it home tonight, and if it still seems fine tomorrow after going back to the shop, I'm gonna drive it around tomorrow. If it doesn't use any oil, I may be able to get it tuned Saturday after all.

We're guessing the 80's were just washing the cylinder walls out, and not letting the rings seat. Hopefully tomorrow goes well.

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
Hey...I heard there was a gay TT Cobra in here with a smoking problem?

J/k....Congrats on the build Shane. Can't wait to see it running

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Got the motor back in the car yesterday and fired it up. No smoke show this time thanfully, but after a few minutes we noticed water running down the back of the motor and onto the floor. Yippee! My car hates me. It ended up being a blown seal on the tube that runs through the valley from the water pump to my Coolant crossover tube fitting. Gonna fix it tonight, and hopefuly get some more miles on the car this week.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Got the motor back in the car yesterday and fired it up. No smoke show this time thanfully, but after a few minutes we noticed water running down the back of the motor and onto the floor. Yippee! My car hates me. It ended up being a blown seal on the tube that runs through the valley from the water pump to my Coolant crossover tube fitting. Gonna fix it tonight, and hopefuly get some more miles on the car this week.

At least it's a turbo car and didn't require removing the big blower to get to that tube right?

It sucks dealing with problems like that. Glad to see you're moving along though. I might have to take a ride back down that way this summer to check it out.

Good luck!

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
It's been a long 10 months, but my car is back in it's cozy little garage. No smoke at all on the way home, but is running lean as hell above 3k rpm. I guess the tune doesn't know what to do without all that oil in the combustion chamber! My tuner won't be back in town for a week to fix it up either.

DSC04867.jpg

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
It's been a long 10 months, but my car is back in it's cozy little garage. No smoke at all on the way home, but is running lean as hell above 3k rpm. I guess the tune doesn't know what to do without all that oil in the combustion chamber! My tuner won't be back in town for a week to fix it up either.

DSC04867.jpg

I hate to ask the stupid question, but you said eariler that you swapped out the 80lb injectors for the 60's to try and seat the rings.

Did you put the 80s back in?

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Here are a couple shots of what it looks like form the front now. Damian has never seen this side of my car before, so he won't notice a difference. haha

DSC04873.jpg

DSC04876.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread