My Z06 got spiked by the cops!!

Quik Z06

Established Member
I posted this on the Vette forum so I just copied it..

Well it was a crazy day and night. First off police come to our ranch for someone that had pulled down the driveway and sat there 100 feet or so from the house with their lights on for at least an hour. We called the cops and they arrived to find a girl passed out (had too much to drink) They took her in and towed her truck.

Lol, well after that happens. I decide to take my Z06 to my brother house so we can get it detailed, since a friend of mine wants to test drive it so he can buy it. I get on the freeway and see a CHP sitting there about 1/4 mile away. I check my speed and im at 65mph. I go by him and notice a sheriff not too far from him. I turn to my wife and was like I wonder what's going on, then all of a sudden I hit something in the road and I hear something dragging under the car. I was pissed. Well I notice the car pulling pretty good so I swerve all the way over to the shoulder and by that time I know I have a flat. I got out of the car and checked, sure enough my front tire is flat. I go to the back tire and that one is flat as well, now im really mad. I go to the passenger side and those tires were fine. I try looking under the car, but with the flat tires it's hammered. I get up and see about 40 police car's flying down the highway towards me at 90-100mph. They fly past me and I start thinking did we get spiked? Well we call a tow truck and wait 30 mins for this guy (it's about 1:00am) as soon as he arrives a sheriff pulls in behind us. He walked up to the car and started taking down the plate number and asking about who was driving. I told him I was driving, then I ask did we get spiked. He said yeah, didn't you see all those police car's coming up behind you. I said no I didn't, they weren't that close. I said I had enough time to get out of my car, check all my tires and look under the car before the even drove past me. He then said well they told me the highway was clear so when you started coming up the hill (over an overpass) I guess he thought it was their suspect. Well guess what, he threw out the spikes and we got our both driver side tires punctured. We talked for a bit and he apologized, said he didn't mean to get us and gave us a business card and told us to call the office and let them know what happened. He said he couldn't promise anything but was pretty sure they would help us out. I was like you better help us out, I was minding my own business and get 2 of my tires destroyed and have to pay $100 for a tow. Now I get to call them in the morning and see what they'll say. All I gotta say is they better not try to say they are not responsible. Here's a couple pix I took

spiked2.jpg

spiked.jpg

This was this past sunday night. Here is the story below to what happened or why there was a chase

http://www.modbee.com/2011/09/05/184...to-police.html

When I took my tires off today to go get them replaced.

spikes.jpg

Now that I replaced my tires I have the receipt to turn in with my claim form they e-mailed me, so we'll see how long it takes to get reimbursed.

ItsReal93

Established Member
That's crazy!! I hope they do the right thing and pay for the tires. Or at least half.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
That's some bullshit, I have seen that happen once here in dfw except they had them stretched across 4 lanes. It got 3-4 cars from what I could tell, and the runner got away.

Gregster

Established Member
wow, that blows dude. Lucky you didn't hit anything & was able to keep the car under control. Hope you get reimburse.

Bruce954

We'll Do It Live!!
Established Member
Bad karma for being too big of a puss to walk down your driveway and see a female sleeping it off maybe??

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
You were both lucky and unlucky.
The unlucky part is obvious.
The lucky part is you were not hurt.
The wheels were not damaged (I hope).
The body cladding wasn't damaged.
The tires didn't come apart and rip the calipers off the car.
Etc.

How much did the repair bill come to? I would guess around 800$
An employee had the same thing happen to him, except he lost all four.
Took almost a year but eventually he got a check for the exact amount of the repair.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Sounds like they should have closed the ramps coming up to that part of the freeway. Sorry for the tire loss,but at least you and your wife are ok.

SVT GT

Established Member
Wow I would be pissed but seeing that he apologized can't be to pissed off. How do the rims/wheels and front bumper look? Were they damaged too?

Users who are viewing this thread