Mystichrome touch up paint????

KILLA E

VET E5
Established Member
Any fellow mysticchrome owners out there know where i can find some? got a few little chips id like to touch up....please help

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I use the same, but I prefer spray paint and a small brush. It's much thinner and doesn't make a "blob". You will still see the touched up area (flop will be different), but it will be better than the chip.

jpk

Established Member
Can the dealer still order you a bottle of touch up paint from Ford? I bought mine from the Ford dealer back in the day. I believe the paint code was G6, but it's on the door sticker somewhere.

KILLA E

VET E5
Established Member
The dealer CANNOT, I called them couple days ago and they told me that not a single dealer in the nation carries this g6 paint....

deano

Established Member
I use the same, but I prefer spray paint and a small brush. It's much thinner and doesn't make a "blob". You will still see the touched up area (flop will be different), but it will be better than the chip.
To fix a paint chip correctly you want it to blob, clean paint chip with a #2 pencill, with a whole punch, punch out a peice of 2000 grit sandpaper, glue the peice of sand paper to top of eraser on #2 pencil, then use it to clean out any debris and bad metal in paint chip, blow out any debris left behind, fill in the paint chip by "dabbing",let it cure for 24hours, clean area, wet sand and then compound/polish it out with a DA polisher.Won't even notice there was a paint chip there.

Never use the brushes as well. Always "Dab" the paint chip using a fine tip, like a tooth pick. Or you can go to a hobby shop and fine all sorts of nice paint/touch up tools.

The importance of the blob is so that it fills in the whole chip area. The blob will be at a higher level than the paint so then you level it down to the rest of the paint surface. Looking pretty much flawless.

Last edited:

Goose17

Established Member
^^ I use a similar process, but still prefer the runny spray paint and a tiny artist brush. I fill in the chip/hole with a layer or 2 of paint and then do the same with spray clear. Finish with wet sanding and polishing.

I just don't like how thick the bottles of touch up are.

deano

Established Member
Unless the car has been compounded and polished a ton before than "No". You really need a paint depth gauge to know for sure but if your paint hasn't had a whole lot of paint correction in the past then you should be fine. When you use 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand, you're not taking off a whole lot. Not enough to go through clear. Be gentle with it and it should only take a couple back and forth motions.

If you're scared to try it check out Ammo NYC on Youtube. He has a great tutorial on how to do it. Just type "Ammo NyC paint chip repair"

Goose17

Established Member
I wet sanded my 04 as well as my 93 for etched-in water spots. I found that finishing with 3000 grit padded sandpaper and then polishing with increasingly finer grit leaves the best results.

I second the no need to re-clear unless you sand too aggressively.

Users who are viewing this thread