need a new DD. cobalt ss or srt-4

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
A good friend of mine has an 09 SS with a ZZP EFR turbo kit, full bolt ons, and it's on E85. It walks my pulley 470whp Cobra HARD pull after pull. Pretty reliable too with the exception of (insert recall joke)

I have driven it several times and it drives pretty good. Handles great, the brembo brakes are great, and the recaro made seats are comfy and supportive. Built in no lift shifting that gives a satisfying pow pow pow pow with flames sometimes between shifts. You can make a lot of power with the stock K04 .

Cons of the slobalts......
The shifter linkage design from the factory is horrible. You will want to replace it with a full TWM setup. Then it works great.
E brake cables tend to snap more often the desirable.

I have also driven a skittles. What a POS. Early 2000's hard rattling plastic everywhere. The powertrain is incredible though. Finding one that wasn't beat to living hell by 10 owners will either be impossible or very expensive. Great cars, but I would not want to daily one. The Cobalt is more refined.

Here is his car......
View attachment 20504

That car would be so nice without that ****ing ricer ass wing. DELETE!

I have had a few friends with the Ion Redline(supercharged LSJ), the Cobalt SS(supercharged LSJ) and the Cobalt SS/TC(turbocharged LNF) are all fantastic cars. The later SS/TC cars are much faster than the LSJ equipped cars. The turbo spools quick and can make 300whp+ with bolt ons and a tune. The older supercharged cars need full bolt ons and a ported blower or throw some nitrous on them to really wake them up. The G85 transmission is the LSD equipped one and the only one that can handle big power though. The non LSD cars are like glass. Friend cracked a trans case on the stock clutch and drag radials in a 340whp Ion Redline.

As for skittles....plastic, plastic, plastic. Horrible car but fantastic drivetrain. Seen a few big power ones but most of the time they are just slow.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ive driven a cobalt ss. Pretty good cars. Theyre not the fastest things out by any means but they were pretty comfortable.

That is my take on the Cobalt as well. Comfort = Cobalt SS. Overall better bang for the buck and longevity = SRT-4. JMO.

BIG_WINNER

Established Member
Even better. I knew of people who just daily drove theirs with maybe S1 or S2 mopar staged kits and had zero issues, got mid 20's mpg driving decently sane.

Though im sure at that modification level the SSTC cobalt would do just as well. Drive them both and see what you prefer, but as far as price, the SRT4 are holding value because they are simply a better platform.

Lol, thanks for the laugh

smitty2919

Established Member
I have a man card issue driving a modded Cobalt or Neon...for the simple fact it's a Cobalt and a Neon.

Why not buy a DD beater like a Saturn or something and keep the current car?

71catruck

Established Member
I have a man card issue driving a modded Cobalt or Neon...for the simple fact it's a Cobalt and a Neon.

Why not buy a DD beater like a Saturn or something and keep the current car?

I'M KEEPING THE COBRA. Sorry, didn't mean to yell. I was driving a beater cavalier for 6 months, then it got ran over. The thing was so slow getting on the freeway I was afraid of getting rear ended by a semi. I don't want my soon to be kid in a car like that. Plus it needs to be fun enouph (never thought I would say that) to keep me from jumping in the cobra every chance I get.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I've had 2 SRT-4's for daily drivers. Absolutely love them, if they are maintained they are reliable cars. Sure they don't have the nicest interior because most of its plastic. But you get race inspired seats, a great feeling shifter and a car that is focused on being a true drivers car. It is all about what you want, sure if you want a car that may be a little more comfortable everyday then the slowbalt is for you. If you want a car that puts a smile on your face everytime you drive it, has that same power over luxury feel like the cobra does, then an SRT4 is for you simply because they are much more enjoyable to drive than the cobalts.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think the SS is a better vehicle over all but the SRT4 has the better powertrain.

kaz109

Established Member
SRT4 will be your best bet out of the 2 choices hands down. I own a srt4 and had a friend with a SC SS...I was faster and got better gas mileage stock for stock. Don't start modding it, I don't think you will stop until its to late

Zemedici

Established Member
Lol that was harsh. Lol.
Well the 99 cobra, gto, and mach aren't bad, but I did Eaton swap my car for a reason. Mine still isn't very fast for svtp though.

bahaha I wasnt taking a shot, I was referring to SVTP standards, 500whp is a slow car on here.

:lol::lol:

TRMach1

Established Member
Srt4s are nice, only thing that I have noticed with friends owning some is that they all had transmission problems.. Even the Csrt4, it starts with 3rd gear going out then the trans completely fails.

Users who are viewing this thread