Need Camera Opinions

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I have a 12 megapixel sony point and shoot and it's pictures look like shit compared to my old 7.1 Canon elph...

Back on topic...
I paid $550 for my Canon XSI with the 18-55MM lens, which will take care of everything except really long distance shots or far away landscape pictures..

I also bought the 55-250MM Canon Lense for another $270 which has incredible zoom..

Besides a wide angle, those two lenses will take care of anyshot you could really ever take..

These are 4 pictures I took yesterday with my XSI and the standard lense..

IMG_0872-2.jpg

IMG_0857-2.jpg

IMG_08542.jpg

IMG_0864-2.jpg

ilumo

Master of going off topic
Established Member
I have a 12 megapixel sony point and shoot and it's pictures look like shit compared to my old 7.1 Canon elph...

Back on topic...
I paid $550 for my Canon XSI with the 18-55MM lens, which will take care of everything except really long distance shots or far away landscape pictures..

I also bought the 55-250MM Canon Lense for another $270 which has incredible zoom..

Besides a wide angle, those two lenses will take care of anyshot you could really ever take..

These are 4 pictures I took yesterday with my XSI and the standard lense..

IMG_0872-2.jpg

IMG_0857-2.jpg

IMG_08542.jpg

IMG_0864-2.jpg

You should also get the 50mm F/1.8 lens for your XSi. it takes GREAT portrait shots :) I just bought that with my T1i. I love these canons.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Canon 40D is super easy to use.

I was in this same situation recently and went "1-up" with the Canon XSi.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Nikon though, I really don't think you'll go wrong with either.

well.. my buddy has a Nikon D70s and I have a Canon D350(Rebel XT) both have 300 mm zoom lenses on them.. both were in full auto mode and we were standing side by side for these photos.. (trying to get the best comparison between them)

first photo is the Nikon D70s
DSC_5561.gif

NIKON D70s
F stop = f/6
exposure 1/80 sec
zoom = 300 mm
ISO = ???

now my Canon
IMG_9900.gif

Canon D350/Rebel XT
F stop = f/9
exposure = 1/640 sec
zoom = 300 mm
ISO = 800

GodStang

Established Member
I use a Canon XSi and a Canon 20D for over a year now. Both great great cameras. If you ever plan on getting new lens the Canon and Nikon has the most choices.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I need one also.

Stupid question do all of these camera's record video? If so do they all do it well? Gotta get the runs at the track on them.

GodStang

Established Member
Posi-

Most D-SLRs do not record video. You can hack the XSi to do video and the Canon D90 I think also does video from the factory. There are others just cant think of off the top of my head.

XtraTQ

Established Member
Before purchasing, I'd suggest going to a camera store or other store to hold and play with the SLR's you are considering. If gives you a chance to see how they feel in your hands. Some people like the feel of the Canons better, and some prefer the Nikon. IMO they feel very different.

BCP

Established Member
Before purchasing, I'd suggest going to a camera store or other store to hold and play with the SLR's you are considering. If gives you a chance to see how they feel in your hands. Some people like the feel of the Canons better, and some prefer the Nikon. IMO they feel very different.

Thats the best info right there....

Defintely go try any brands/models out in person before purchasing. Cant go wrong with most of the major brands, but they are feel, handle, and operate differently.

I would also check places like B&H and Adorama before purchasing, as Best Buy is usually far the the best deal.

Personally, i prefer Nikon. I just do not like the way the Canon feels and handles, nor do i like the buitton and menu layouts. They are still nice cameras.

Also remember that the camera is only part of the equation. Its just as easy to take crappy pics with an expensive camera as it is with a cheap camera. The person behind the camera is much more important.

Silver2003Cobra,

Im not sure about Canon's metering, but with a Nikon the exposure compensation needs to be set to over expose by about one stop in order to expose the snow properly; by default it will try to make it middle gray, as you can see in the image you posted.

ilumo

Master of going off topic
Established Member
I need one also.

Stupid question do all of these camera's record video? If so do they all do it well? Gotta get the runs at the track on them.

You can get the new 500D from canon or the D5000 from Nikon and they both record HD Video. very nice when you can combine them with nice lenses.

I have the 500D from Canon myself. loving it :)
-T

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Silver2003Cobra,

Im not sure about Canon's metering, but with a Nikon the exposure compensation needs to be set to over expose by about one stop in order to expose the snow properly; by default it will try to make it middle gray, as you can see in the image you posted.

well, that wasn't the point of the experiment.. the point was, on full auto, which is the easier camera to take better photos with.. love to see them both in the hands of a professional, and see what happens..

Users who are viewing this thread