Need confirmation on something...

MLMike25

Established Member
It has not been a good week for my car. First some guy backs into the front of it, then this...

About 2 weeks ago, my car started throwing a 00174 code (running lean on bank 2), so I brought it to the local Ford dealership for a fixin'. They claimed it was a hose. Fine - changed it out, I'm on my way. :bored: No more code.

Less than 2 weeks later, the same code returns. Now they're telling me the car is misfiring under load and there's some pinging. :mj:Obviously this is not good news.

The work they did 2 weeks ago has a 12K mile warranty associated with it. What I want to confirm is that if this turns out to be a serious/costly problem, the dealership should be on the hook to cover the costs since they didn't completely fix the problem the first time, right?

MLMike25

Established Member
Um my question pertains to dealership warranty liability. What would my list of mods have to do with this?

gat0r

Established Member
Um my question pertains to dealership warranty liability. What would my list of mods have to do with this?

well.... it can help people here diagnose your issue.

also we could tell you if the dealer will try to weasel out of warranty work due to any aftermarket parts on car. (like they usually will try to do)

Digital

Established Member

Not many of us are lawyers and tbh a dealer can tell you to go **** yourself if they want. They have very little legal standing to warranty something like that. Best case scenario they could credit the new repair bill with the $$ they charged you before. But I doubt it. If anything they'll charge you the extra money saying that the hose was part of the fix, which you payed for, and the rest is the remainder of the fix for the issue. Apparently you know so much since you took it to ford to begin with :rollseyes

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Not many of us are lawyers...

Exactly. We can tell you how to make power and to put it to the ground...for the most part. Outside of that, you're on your own.

Taking a car to the dealer is mistake #1 IMO if you're looking for something to be done right.

hotcobra03

Established Member
It has not been a good week for my car. First some guy backs into the front of it, then this...

About 2 weeks ago, my car started throwing a 00174 code (running lean on bank 2), so I brought it to the local Ford dealership for a fixin'. They claimed it was a hose. Fine - changed it out, I'm on my way. :bored: No more code.

Less than 2 weeks later, the same code returns. Now they're telling me the car is misfiring under load and there's some pinging. :mj:Obviously this is not good news.

The work they did 2 weeks ago has a 12K mile warranty associated with it. What I want to confirm is that if this turns out to be a serious/costly problem, the dealership should be on the hook to cover the costs since they didn't completely fix the problem the first time, right?

trying to fix po174 isnt like getting your brakes done...it could take awhile to find problem...

if you payed for vacuum hose repair than just that would be covered under warranty,not more work,,,unless it was caused by something they did..and proving that would be next to impossible

goodluck

MLMike25

Established Member
trying to fix po174 isnt like getting your brakes done...it could take awhile to find problem...

if you payed for vacuum hose repair than just that would be covered under warranty,not more work,,,unless it was caused by something they did..and proving that would be next to impossible

goodluck

This is true, but I didn't ask them to change a hose. I asked them to fix the 174 issue. Seems to me that they didn't complete the job if they said it's fixed yet it reappears less than 2 weeks later.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You asked them to fix the 174 issue. They thought they did, with the hose change. The problem came back and they're noticing new issues apparently. You'd better pray that they don't try to claim your issue is due to your mods. For example, if you had a bad custom tune and it caused bad detonation (pinging) and piston damage, you'd be on the hook for the expense very likely.

Best of luck on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread