Need help identifying dark "stain" on my 2-year old poly-aspartic garage floor that appear to be from our tires.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In the photos, I circled the stains. My poly-aspartic floor was done in October of 2020. It still looks new EXCEPT for what look like tire stains where the car sat. The weird thing, though, is that the car doesn't sit in that exact same position every time I park it. Same with my wife's car that sits on the left side of the garage. I tried scrubbing them with Simple Green spray but that didn't do anything. Aspartic coatings are just about impervious to stains, so I'm stumped. Any ideas? Suggestions?

I did put a call in to the company who did the floor, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Photo #1 - I circled the stain. If you look closer to the garage door you can see what looks like a tire mark from driving in. Closer to the curbing you can spot the stain where the other tire sat. I circled it in the second photo. Also, in the second photo you can see that tire mark nearer the door more clearly. I circled it. Note a similar stain where my wife's Acura sits. The darker portion leading in is in part due to stone dust that was on her tires from our driveway getting prepped for paving. However, my car has been at my detailer buddy's house for the last 4 days, well before the driveway was torn up.

1681311911467.jpeg

1681312172661.jpeg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry Bob, all I see is a blue dick and 2 blue balls :ROFLMAO:

I found this info online though.

Last edited:

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Just had 2 garages done in Florida, and they recommended to use carpet squares, when the cars were going to be sitting for a while, as the tires, will stain the coating.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks Paul. The reason for the rubber stains in that link match what I just found on another site. So now I know WHAT they are, but I need to check with the company that did the coating to be sure I don’t void the warranty. Especially when using a wire brush. I’m wondering if maybe one of those Mr. Clean magic eraser sponges might work.

I also found out that some people put carpet mats under the tires for this reason. I don’t mind mild scrubbing once a year if that’s what I need to do. I just don’t to end up with a stain that gets darker each year.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LO
Just had 2 garages done in Florida, and they recommended to use carpet squares, when the cars were going to be sitting for a while, as the tires, will stain the coating.
LOL. I just posted about the carpet squares. I think I’ll definitely use them going forward. Now I just have to get rid of the stains first.

Zemedici

Established Member
Thanks Paul. The reason for the rubber stains in that link match what I just found on another site. So now I know WHAT they are, but I need to check with the company that did the coating to be sure I don’t void the warranty. Especially when using a wire brush. I’m wondering if maybe one of those Mr. Clean magic eraser sponges might work.

I also found out that some people put carpet mats under the tires for this reason. I don’t mind mild scrubbing once a year if that’s what I need to do. I just don’t to end up with a stain that gets darker each year.

i wouldn’t use a wire brush - seems like it would damage the floor

As you said I’d check with company that did it and see what they recommend

Good post cuz I’m looking to do PA on my garage floor before the summer heat comes in

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
maybe one of those Mr. Clean magic eraser sponges might work.
I wouldnt use that, it's my understanding it's basically super mild sandpaper to the point that hopefully it sands off the dirt/paint/whatever before it goes through the finish of the main surface.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Bob this old pic attached shows my carpeted mats that go under tires when stored in the garage. I had the same problem but I use the green ZEP all purpose cleaner and soft bristle brush to take up the marks....but my floor is 100% solid PVC.

DSC_0432_zps43944393.JPG

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did anyone else want to tell Bob to stop doing burnouts in his garage like Ken Block?
LOL! Good one, Bob.

Well, I tried everything. WD40, Simple Green, Magic Eraser, nylon brush. Did remove any of the stain. It's like it's under the clear topcoat. Right now my only option would be to have it sanded down and re-coated with clear. I'm not really wanting to do that. I might just get a few 18X18 carpet squares to place under our tires, and just live with it.

I wouldnt use that, it's my understanding it's basically super mild sandpaper to the point that hopefully it sands off the dirt/paint/whatever before it goes through the finish of the main surface.
Too late. I tried it. The installer said it was okay for me to use it. Didn't harm the coating at all.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hey Brad (if you come into this thread), have you had this issue with your garage floor? You've got the same product I believe.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
LOL! Good one, Bob.

Well, I tried everything. WD40, Simple Green, Magic Eraser, nylon brush. Did remove any of the stain. It's like it's under the clear topcoat. Right now my only option would be to have it sanded down and re-coated with clear. I'm not really wanting to do that. I might just get a few 18X18 carpet squares to place under our tires, and just live with it.

Too late. I tried it. The installer said it was okay for me to use it. Didn't harm the coating at all.

What did the installer end up suggesting?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Hey Brad (if you come into this thread), have you had this issue with your garage floor? You've got the same product I believe.

I think we have the same thing with the epoxy. I dont have any tire marks (and might be really hard to see on the gray), my only marks are from the car shoving boards around because they slip.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I haven't Bob. My Cobra has been in there since it was done with no stain. I did spill gas filling my mower that ran down the rear tire on left a black mark, but that cleaned up when I cleaned the floor last time.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I thought I've talked about this before. I've done Airplane hangers in white. The technical term is (Contact Migration and Diffusion) certain types of aircraft tires compounds are really really bad at staining, so they put barriers between the tire and finished surface. Rubber manufacturers test their products. Sherwin Williams had an excellent breakdown of this phenomenon, but I can't find it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I should have taken a picture of what my garage floor looked like before the annual spring cleaning Bob. You'd stop worrying about the rubber stain, LOL.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What did the installer end up suggesting?
He suggested letting the cleaner I use (ie. Simple Green) set for a few minutes first. He mainly recommended uses carpet squares under the tires. Apparently this is an occasional issue with epoxy or aspartic coatings due to certain tire manufacturing formulas that vary in chemical composition. I do not believe the stain can now be removed without sanding down the area and re-applying a clear coat.

I haven't Bob. My Cobra has been in there since it was done with no stain. I did spill gas filling my mower that ran down the rear tire on left a black mark, but that cleaned up when I cleaned the floor last time.
Thanks for the reply Brad. I am reading that this issue is not really common. I did everything by the book when the product was applied. Interesting that the staining was worse on my side than my wife's side. Her car is driven more than mine. My car last winter was on "flat stoppers" so there was no tire contact with the floor from late November-March.

I should have taken a picture of what my garage floor looked like before the annual spring cleaning Bob. You'd stop worrying about the rubber stain, LOL.
But all that winter crap was gone after spring cleaning, right? Your situation is a bit different. I have large stains that cannot be cleaned/removed without sanding.

I thought I've talked about this before. I've done Airplane hangers in white. The technical term is (Contact Migration and Diffusion) certain types of aircraft tires compounds are really really bad at staining, so they put barriers between the tire and finished surface. Rubber manufacturers test their products. Sherwin Williams had an excellent breakdown of this phenomenon, but I can't find it.
Yeah, had I known that this could even potentially be an issue, I would have used carpet squares from the beginning.

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
Bob this old pic attached shows my carpeted mats that go under tires when stored in the garage. I had the same problem but I use the green ZEP all purpose cleaner and soft bristle brush to take up the marks....but my floor is 100% solid PVC.

View attachment 1789493
My floor was coated but it's peeling up so I want to totally remove it. I was looking into the Race Deck panels like what you have. How do you like it and what is the downside? I was wondering about spills going thru the seams and getting underneath the tiles.

Users who are viewing this thread