Need info fo SHO

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
Hey I am thinking about buying a 98 SHO, 156,000 miles. Guy wants $3,000.
It is black and super clean, guy has had the cat for 9 years. Says all he ever had go wrong was the battery. What is your guys opinion on a SHO with that high of mileage? Any special things to look for on the Yamaha engine for potential problems? Thanks , Josh.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
take it to a guy(mechanic) who knows the sho. i know that its needs a tune every 60k miles and parts are expensive. does he have all the records from 9 years of ownership. this would tell you a lot!

bread320i

Established Member
V6 SHO's require a tune up every 60k miles.

The V8's however don't require this but, be aware of the cam failure. If your still interested in purchasing a V8 SHO I would recommend visiting v8sho.com

blue92

Established Member
V6 SHO's require a tune up every 60k miles.

The V8's however don't require this but, be aware of the cam failure. If your still interested in purchasing a V8 SHO I would recommend visiting v8sho.com

I've owned 3 gen 2s I have never done a tune up on any of them I've done a 120k on them all but that isn't a tune up.

The 1st question for anyone to ask that's thinking of buying a gen 3 is to ever is selling it is have the cams been welded. If the seller doesn't know what the hell your asking do not walk but run out of there.

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I've owned 3 gen 2s I have never done a tune up on any of them I've done a 120k on them all but that isn't a tune up.

The 1st question for anyone to ask that's thinking of buying a gen 3 is to ever is selling it is have the cams been welded. If the seller doesn't know what the hell your asking do not walk but run out of there.

Thanks for the info.

bread320i

Established Member

Here a list of items to do for a 60k tune up, service, or any other term used.
Valve Adjustment, spark plugs, timing belt, accessory belts, fuel filter, engine gaskets, and if needed a water pump, and sensors, and the list can go on and on.
Also a "60k" would also be a "120k" since you should do then every 60k miles.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
I have never had a gen 2 but I had a gen 1 and LOVED it. I wish I didn't sell it. Anyway my opionion is if the cams have not been welded and it is still running and you can talk him down just go and get them welded yourself. Anyway good luck.

yamahaSHO

Established Member

I'd call that a tune up...

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Its more of 'preventative maintenance.' The 3.0L MTX is supposed to have its timing belt and valves shimmed every 60k. The 3.2L ATX I believe is good towards 80k or so typically. However, must SHOguys do the WP, CPS, VCG and Spark Plug Tube seals at the same time.

yamahaSHO

Established Member
Generally, plugs and wires are changed as well as other sensors. Although it is preventative maintenance, it is a tune-up.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
It is DEFINATELY considered a tune-up.

I wouldnt buy an unwelded GEN 3. Its seriously a ticking time bomb.

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
The guy dropped the price to $2500. It is a very nice car but I deemed it to risky.

blue92

Established Member
I'd call that a tune up...

My SHO mechanic doesn't. TexanTony off shoforum is my mechanic. A tune up according to Tony is replace the spark plugs and wires change the air filter, change the fuel filter, maybe clean the MAF, maybe change the coil pack. A tune up doesn't require the mechanic to remove the intake. That would be a 60k or a 120k. If gen 1 and 2 SHO's had to have a 60k done at 60k why are you able to pick up gen 1 and 2s all over the place that have had no maintenance done and they are still running with many well over 120k on them? Both of the 92s I have bought had over 140k on them and neither one had any maintenance done on them till I had it done by Tony. The number one thing to do when you buy a used gen 1 or 2 is replace the rod bearings especially if it has over 100k on it.
driving.gif

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Save the $3k and look for something else. 156K on a 3rd gen would have me looking elsewhere. These sho's are more tempermental than a woman on pms.

yamahaSHO

Established Member
My SHO mechanic doesn't. TexanTony off shoforum is my mechanic. A tune up according to Tony is replace the spark plugs and wires change the air filter, change the fuel filter, maybe clean the MAF, maybe change the coil pack. A tune up doesn't require the mechanic to remove the intake. That would be a 60k or a 120k. If gen 1 and 2 SHO's had to have a 60k done at 60k why are you able to pick up gen 1 and 2s all over the place that have had no maintenance done and they are still running with many well over 120k on them? Both of the 92s I have bought had over 140k on them and neither one had any maintenance done on them till I had it done by Tony. The number one thing to do when you buy a used gen 1 or 2 is replace the rod bearings especially if it has over 100k on it.
driving.gif

Excuse my ignorance, but part of the 60k IS to replace the plugs, wires etc and you don't have to pull the intake for any of these.

Whether or not the car has had the maintenance done and it still at an acceptable rate, doesn't negate that the 60k and 120k is a tune up. The "60k" and "120k" isn't synonymous with with a valve lash... It's just PART of the tune-up which will also go along with preventative maintenance. Anything you do BEFORE the something breaks is preventative maintenance. If Tony told you his shit is ice cream, would you still eat it? If he's charging you, I guess I can call it whatever he wants... But it's still a 'tune-up'.

blue92

Established Member
Excuse my ignorance, but part of the 60k IS to replace the plugs, wires etc and you don't have to pull the intake for any of these.

Whether or not the car has had the maintenance done and it still at an acceptable rate, doesn't negate that the 60k and 120k is a tune up. The "60k" and "120k" isn't synonymous with with a valve lash... It's just PART of the tune-up which will also go along with preventative maintenance. Anything you do BEFORE the something breaks is preventative maintenance. If Tony told you his shit is ice cream, would you still eat it? If he's charging you, I guess I can call it whatever he wants... But it's still a 'tune-up'.

Yes your right a 60k and a tune up is the same thing that is if take your SHO to a Ford dealer. Someone that knows about SHO repair and what it takes to keep them on the road not to mention how to get nearly 600hp out of a 3.2 engine thinks a 60/120k is different than a tune up. This is what Tony has on his web site what a 60/120k includes.

Picture1-1.png

Tony has corresponded with Kirk of North East SHO and with Sergio Perfetti in Houston who's been doing SHO repairs and maintenance since 1989 to determine what should be included for a 60/120k, they all conclude whats on Tony's list is what a 60/120k should include. If you take your SHO to a Ford dealer for a 60/120k they will not change the water pump and in most cases won't do the valve lash adjustment. Those will cost extra.

Last edited:

yamahaSHO

Established Member
I guess I don't know anything..........

I still don't see how you can call it anything but a tune up. That's all it really is. It's a tune up. I know how to do all those things you listed above, including getting 600hp out of a 3.2L.

...And what Tony has listed IS a tune up. If it isn't, what would you consider a tune up?? Honestly?

Users who are viewing this thread