Need new front pulley/idler set and tensioners :(

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
So last nite my belt tensioner locked up and my belt was squeeling loudly and I could smell burning rubber. Belt didnt snap thankfully. Turns out that not only is my belt tensioner bad but so are most of my supercharger idlers and pullies.

Car is about to go down for a headswap. Figured I might as well get all new pullies, idlers and tensioners. Is there anywhere I can buy a good set for cheap? Maybe some billetflow pullies/idlers? Are there any good cheap aftermarket tensioners or should I just call tousley ford and have them send me new stock tensioners?

I did find that stage3motorsports.com sells a billetflow pulley/idler kit to replace the stock setup for $289.95. No tensioners tho.

Thanks

Last edited:

SVT Pille

Established Member
Get the Metco double bearing idlers and call it a day. As for the tensioner, go on Tousley's website and order a belt tensioner for a Lightning (direct swap supposedly). If you try buying one for our cars from Ford they only sell it with the pulley bridge and they want some outrageous price for it too.

reef93

EVILNSIDE
Established Member
Get the Metco double bearing idlers and call it a day. As for the tensioner, go on Tousley's website and order a belt tensioner for a Lightning (direct swap supposedly). If you try buying one for our cars from Ford they only sell it with the pulley bridge and they want some outrageous price for it too.

1L3Z-6B209-BA is the part number for the outer tensioner. If you go to ford and tell them you need the tensioner for the supercharger on a cobra it will be outrageous because they only list it with the bridge assembly and not separate. But this is infact the same one that bolts to the bridge. I have a friend that works at ford and I got his price and it cost me 49$ and some change. Way better than 400$+

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Stock idlers? How much?

You do not want to replace them with stock idlers. They're stamped steel and are known to fail/explode. Stick with good quality billet idlers (Metco double-bearing would be my recommendation). JMO.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
You do not want to replace them with stock idlers. They're stamped steel and are known to fail/explode. Stick with good quality billet idlers (Metco double-bearing would be my recommendation). JMO.

Ya I looked at the price of metco double bearing idlers. They are more than I can spend right now. I think ill just get metco single bearing idlers and new tensioners for now. Tousley has just the tensioners themselves and not the entire assembly so its fairly cheap.

Im also thinking of replacing the pullies on the accessories drive belt behind the supercharger drive belt. They look alittle worse for wear. Is there an aftermarket version of those that are better than stock?

Also, is anyone making 4 lb lowers that retain the stock cage?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
If you want to keep the stock pulleys, providing they are undamaged, you can replace the bearings easily. I keep a set of bearings as spares just in case - think I got a pack of six for around $30.

cobracide

Established Member
The inside belt pulleys might look worse for wear but typically you don't need to worry about those. The supercharger belt and pulleys get all the stress. Single bearing Metcos are are a pretty good choice. Forget about the 4# and a cage. The Metco lower will be fine on an Eaton.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
The inside belt pulleys might look worse for wear but typically you don't need to worry about those. The supercharger belt and pulleys get all the stress. Single bearing Metcos are are a pretty good choice. Forget about the 4# and a cage. The Metco lower will be fine on an Eaton.

For now im just replacing the belt tensioner. Tousley Ford had it in stock without the bridge and it was only $49 bucks shipped. I need to free up more funds before I can replace all the front pullies. I think I might just buy metco double bearing idlers one at a time. Once I have the set ill swap them all out. I also found out I need new bushings for the harmonic balancer. All the little things..... :(

I want to retain the stock cage because I plan to go with a whipple 2.9 in the future. I may have to just keep the stock lower with the cage and go with an aggressive upper when the time comes to get the boost I want on the whipple. Thats a ways down the road tho so I dont need to worry about it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread