Need Opinion...Touchy Subject

If this was your girl, what would you do?

• Let her do what she wants

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Insist she find a new stylist and offer to pay the difference in cost of new stylist.

Votes: 23 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stangposse

Established Member
So.....I've been seeing my current girl for about 8 months. She gets her hair done by a stylist in Harlem, NY. (Not the greatest of places) She's been going to this guy, with her sister, for a few years. Supposedly, this guy charges $100 for her haircut while most salons charge $275 for the same job.....so she saves considerably because the guy works out of his house with a huge client list.

She describes the guy as "crazy" and a "flamer" (no offense to anyone). So yea....picture your woman going to a house, in Harlem, with a "crazy flamer" to get her haircut while saving $175. As shady as it sounds I shake it off and pay it no mind as she is a grown woman.

Fast forward to a few months ago and she finds out that this guy is sick....as in ill with liver probs and had previously tested + for HIV I put two and two together and ask her if he's HIV+ or has AIDS...she says she thinks AIDS but doesn't know for sure which is causing liver probs since he drinks.

So now I'm a little irritated about this and tell her I'm not too comfortable with her sitting in a chair with this sick guy wielding sharp objects around her. I tell her I'll pay the difference in the cost of any new stylist she finds for as long as we are together so I can have peace of mind.

She tells me I'm over-reacting.

I ask her why, if there is a good chance he's carrying a deadly, contagious disease, she'd want to take the remote chance when there are hairstylists that cut hair like him on every block in nicer neighborhoods and in legitimate establishments closer than 20 miles away.

She claims there are a lot of hairstylists who are just like him. I responded that its one thing to give someone the benefit of the doubt....but its a whole different story when you actually KNOW.

I feel bad for the guy, but from the way she describes him it was only a matter of time before this happened to him.

What would you do if this was your girlfriend???

Last edited:

SVTCobra60

Established Member
If it was my girlfriend I wouldn't like the entire situation as a whole, considering it says your from Connecticut I wouldn't feel comfortable with my girlfriend traveling into the city, into harlem, by herself. Thats just be though, I would have asked her nicely if she could possibly find a local place and I'd help her pay. As for the current situation, I VERY highly doubt anything would happen, unless he accidentally cut his finger with the scissor while simultaneously cutting her and mixing blood? lol, But I see we're your coming from, it could happen, crazier things have happened. Just tell her you really wouldn't mind and you wouldn't want to risk anything happening to her that could have been avoided.

Ironhand

Banned
Follow her to one of her "Hair Appointments".

Make sure its legit. You will know if he is a flamer just by looking at him.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I think you need to research how HIV/AIDS is transferred......

I dont think you have anything to worry about unless hes wielding his scissors around like Duncan McCloud.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Are you serious?

You're worried about a guy giving your girl AIDS with scissors just because he's gay? Did you go to sleep in 1950 and just wake up?

stangposse

Established Member
If it was my girlfriend I wouldn't like the entire situation as a whole, considering it says your from Connecticut I wouldn't feel comfortable with my girlfriend traveling into the city, into harlem, by herself. Thats just be though, I would have asked her nicely if she could possibly find a local place and I'd help her pay. As for the current situation, I VERY highly doubt anything would happen, unless he accidentally cut his finger with the scissor while simultaneously cutting her and mixing blood? lol, But I see we're your coming from, it could happen, crazier things have happened. Just tell her you really wouldn't mind and you wouldn't want to risk anything happening to her that could have been avoided.

She works in the city, lives in Rye, NY....so its kinda on the way home...so its not that far out of her way.

I agree....chances are slim.....but why take those chances when there are sooooo many alternatives? There are so many people who would have loved to have warning about circumstances like this where the odds didn't work out in their favor. To me, its a no brainer.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
If it's not something that she's uncomfortable with then why does it matter? Also, from the way you stated things it sounds like she doesn't even know it's aids or HIV... Overreact much? The poor guy could have cancer or a zillion other things to make him sick.

Last edited:
If its my gf there's nothing I can really say. If its my wife, she's not going to that guy whether she likes it or not.

stangposse

Established Member
Are you serious?

You're worried about a guy giving your girl AIDS with scissors just because he's gay? Did you go to sleep in 1950 and just wake up?

You're reading into it the wrong way. I'm just stating the circumstances. I stated that in other cases you can give the benefit of the doubt....but in this case there really isn't any doubt that he's sick.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if your not comfortable voice your opinion, nothing wring for having a concern. It's not our concern whether or not it founded in a legitimate fear, Harlem by herself is enough for me to say no go

stangposse

Established Member
But how are you so sure he is sick with aids or HIV? :dw:

Turns out he did test positive for HIV,....currently has liver probs but not sure if its from full blown AIDS or heavy drinking. (I'll edit post to make it clearer)

I'm not overreacting....I'm just curious what other people's opinions are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread