Need Opinion...Touchy Subject

If this was your girl, what would you do?

• Let her do what she wants

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Insist she find a new stylist and offer to pay the difference in cost of new stylist.

Votes: 23 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
:bash: Really? HIV is something that can be transferred from one person to the other. Yes, the chances of her getting it from her hairstylist is slim to none.

You are dumb. The chances of her getting AIDS from a hair stylist is none. The chances of her getting AIDS from a hair stylist that she is shooting heroin with is very high.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I guess I have a different opinion on a legitimate business. I'd rather pay someone that their business is doing well enough to own their own shop, not someone who put up a few chairs in the garage. To each their own I suppose, but I wouldn't let a bunch of guys come get their haircut at my house while I'm at work.

My mom was pretty smart actually. She was home all day with my brother and I, and she didn't have a ton of overhead from paying expensive rent. She had a legitimate salon in a separate part of our house, not a "few chairs set up in the garage". She managed a salon in town and taught at the local cosmetology school before becoming self employed. :read:

You have no clue as to whether or not this guy's business is legitimate or not so I don't see how you can judge it.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
You are dumb. The chances of her getting AIDS from a hair stylist is none. The chances of her getting AIDS from a hair stylist that she is shooting heroin with is very high.

Maybe she already has. I've never met her. :shrug:

My mom was pretty smart actually. She was home all day with my brother and I, and she didn't have a ton of overhead from paying expensive rent. She had a legitimate salon in a separate part of our house, not a "few chairs set up in the garage". She managed a salon in town and taught at the local cosmetology school before becoming self employed. :read:

You have no clue as to whether or not this guy's business is legitimate or not so I don't see how you can judge it.

So you disagree with me? I got that from your first post. Doesn't mean that I would go to her house to get a hair cut. I do not have a clue if this guy's business is legitimate, but I do know that I think it would be inappropriate for my gf to go there without me. If he owned a legitimate business with other workers there, I would be much more comfortable. However, someone with HIV that is gay, doesn't seem like the type of person who is legitimate. This isn't a nurse who accidentally got it while doing their job, this is a man who willing had unprotected sex with someone of the same gender who already had HIV. A quick search shows 34% of gay black males in NYC have HIV. Yes, I am assuming that is how he got it, but I'm willing to bet my assumption is correct. Either that or like above, he was sharing some dirty needles.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
His sexual preferences have nothing to do with his business or if he is a legitimate person or not. Want to tell me you have NEVER had unprotected sex in your life? Do you think everyone who is gay is not legitimate? How about everyone who has unprotected sex? Real classy of you......:nonono:

Last edited:

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
His sexual preferences have nothing to do with his business or if he is a legitimate person or not. Want to tell me you have NEVER had unprotected sex in your life? Do you think everyone who is gay is not legitimate? How about everyone who has unprotected sex? Real classy of you......:nonono:

I have never had anything penetrate my anus. A man without HIV has a very small chance of contracting the virus having just vaginal sex, unprotected or not. Facts are facts, and the fact is, there is a much higher percentage of contracting HIV while getting slammed in the butt by a man with HIV. Also, I live in a small city that the percentage of HIV infected individuals is not that high, especially compared to NYC. Having unprotected anal sex with a black male in Harlem is down right dangerous.

Did I say anything about him being gay is not legitimate? Did you not read where I said I have gay friends? I am not poking fun of the guys sexuality. As a matter of fact, before my hair started thinning to the point I just shave it bald myself, I was going to a well respected bi-sexual male hair stylist that is still one of my good friends to this day. It is down right irresponsible to have unprotected anal sex, especially in a city where HIV is rampant. My original point had nothing to with sexuality, it had to do with a moral opinion I have of a person in a committed relationship being alone with a person of the opposite sex. You took offense because your mom owned a similar at home business, not because the OP was talking about a gay man. You are just looking for something else to argue about.

I could careless how your mom made her money and I commend her for being a success. That does not mean I have to patronize her business, nor should you take offense to that.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
:bash: Really? HIV is something that can be transferred from one person to the other. Yes, the chances of her getting it from her hairstylist is slim to none. HIV is a virus. Cancer is the avoidance of cells you already have of apoptosis, and with breast cancer, this has a lot to do with poor DNA. Oh yeah, and men can get breast cancer too.

You also need to research how that virus is actually transmitted.

Unless theyre ****ing or sharing needles or doing anything that involves the swapping of bodily fluids, shell be just fine.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
You also need to research how that virus is actually transmitted.

Unless theyre ****ing or sharing needles or doing anything that involves the swapping of bodily fluids, shell be just fine.

I promise you I have done more research than you. I have a B.S. in Biology and I worked very closely with my university's main HIV researcher, who is also the head of the Biology department (and I believe he is gay, though not openly.) I have had to sit through many lectures and seminars about HIV research. I still try to attend the weekly seminars even now that I have graduated. I have several peers that are still in HIV research, as well as have several contacts that are in the HIV research field. I have also had to do several research papers on cancer biology. The quote you used of mine had everything to do with how ridiculous comparing a genetic mutation of cells is compared to a virus that is transferable from person to person. I know exactly how HIV is transmitted and I know exactly how cancer is not transmitted.

You also need to read better. My point was never that she would contract HIV. :read: You quoted the fact that I said "slim to none." By slim to none, I meant, slim to none. There is virtually no chance of her catching it from her hair stylist, but it is still possible for him to cut himself while doing her hair and it get in an open cut that she has. I wouldn't play basketball with Magic Johnson, just like I wouldn't go to someone I knew had HIV to cut my hair. Nor would I go to a woman's house alone for any reason out of respect for my girlfriend, which was my original point.

Last edited:

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I'll bet you refuse to use public bathrooms for fear of contracting VD.

U.M.

[youtube_browser]u_5oCkpAkUk[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

CPRsm

Nope, he wouldn't cut my hair, sorry. Nothing to do with gay or thinking I will get aids from getting touched. I have had my ears cut with a pair of scissors more than once, and nicked with a straight razor. I'm with Nik. I wouldn't wrestle someone in a tournament who had aids. Bloody noses and scratches happen all the time. Nor would I play basket ball with Magic. All it takes is a busted ass lip like Obama and your chances sky rocket. Fact is while slim it is possible. If so easily avoided why the hell risk it ?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Nope, he wouldn't cut my hair, sorry. Nothing to do with gay or thinking I will get aids from getting touched. I have had my ears cut with a pair of scissors more than once, and nicked with a straight razor. I'm with Nik. I wouldn't wrestle someone in a tournament who had aids. Bloody noses and scratches happen all the time. Nor would I play basket ball with Magic. All it takes is a busted ass lip like Obama and your chances sky rocket. Fact is while slim it is possible. If so easily avoided why the hell risk it?
Please stay indoors when it's raining because you might get struck by lightning. Don't fly anymore either because there's a chance of dying in a plane crash. Watch those wet floors at the supermarket, they don't post those slippery when wet signs for nuthin' ya know. Might as well stop driving while you're at it too, you know how many people die in car crashes every day? Fact is while dying in these manners is slim, it is possible. If so easily avoided why the hell risk it? Please stay indoors from now on... :rollseyes

U.M.

Last edited:

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
Please stay indoors when it's raining because you might get struck by lightning. Don't fly anymore either because there's a chance of dying in a plane crash. Watch those wet floors at the supermarket, they don't post those slippery when wet signs for nuthin' ya know. Might as well stop driving while you're at it too, you know how many people die in car crashes every day? Fact is while dying in these manners is slim, it is possible. If so easily avoided why the hell risk it? Please stay indoors from now on... :rollseyes

U.M.

Do you have a functioning brain in your head? Things like driving, going out in the rain aren't easily avoided. In order to make a living your pretty much guaranteed to have to drive and your probably going to catch a rain storm every now and then. He's talking about things that are easily avoidable. The OP's situation is as simple as his GF finding a different hair stylist that isn't a rump ranger, it requires little to no effort and shes out of nothing and doesn't effect her daily life like not driving or going out in the rain. All she has to do is walk in a different salon and maybe at the most ask some friends of hers for recommendations. It's very simple, but apparently not simple enough for you to understand.

EASILY
avoidable... learn to read.

black 10th vert

Established Member
This thread is actually getting very interesting. At first it seemed like it was becoming almost a smackdown on the op for even thinking about this situation. Now it is getting better because it is showing a clear polarization of opinions, and at this point there have been some really great points being made for avoiding a situation like this, even though the risk is extremely low. I personally have to side with those that would avoid the situation altogether. This is not due to ignorance of how the virus is contracted, or "living under a rock", or anything like that. This is just too serious of a thing to take a risk with, when you have so many other choices where that risk is easily mitigated. Some risks are nearly unavoidable without out major inconvenience, such as avoiding driving, flying, etc., as there are ways to avoid those, but a freakin haircut definitely does not even qualify as being in the same league, since there are likely 10's of millions of hair stylists in this country, so finding a safer option should be a no-brainer - especially since it bothers the op.:shrug: You guys giving him crap for trying to "control" his girlfriend are clearly missing the point that this situation could affect his life in a very big way, even though she is just his girlfriend, and not his wife. How would you all reply if he were to end up contracting the HIV just from having "normal" relations with his girl because she unknowingly got it from that dude (even if it were a 1 in a billion chance)?:nonono:

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
The quote you used of mine had everything to do with how ridiculous comparing a genetic mutation of cells is compared to a virus that is transferable from person to person. I know exactly how HIV is transmitted and I know exactly how cancer is not transmitted.

So you thought a comment about getting breast cancer from being coughed on was a real question and not total sarcasm?

:dw:

Misquamarauder

Established Member
Good grief. If you GF likes this guy's work, then deal with it. She isn't going to get AIDS/HUV from a haircut. If this is the biggest problem in your life, you've got it made.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Nope, he wouldn't cut my hair, sorry. Nothing to do with gay or thinking I will get aids from getting touched. I have had my ears cut with a pair of scissors more than once, and nicked with a straight razor. I'm with Nik. I wouldn't wrestle someone in a tournament who had aids. Bloody noses and scratches happen all the time. Nor would I play basket ball with Magic. All it takes is a busted ass lip like Obama and your chances sky rocket. Fact is while slim it is possible. If so easily avoided why the hell risk it ?

What does cutting YOUR ear have anything to do with it? Are you saying your afraid you will give him AIDS?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
On to the topic at hand:
IMO, she would not be my girlfriend anymore. Maybe I was raised differently, but a woman or man in a committed relationship should never be alone in a home with a member of the opposite sex. It is not proper. I would not disrespect my gf by going to a girl's house for a massage, and I would expect her to not go to a guy's house to get a haircut. I don't care if the guy is gay or straight. I've had plenty of gay friends who still sleep with women from time to time. I've also personally been with women who claim to be lesbians.

I guess I have a different opinion on a legitimate business. I'd rather pay someone that their business is doing well enough to own their own shop, not someone who put up a few chairs in the garage. To each their own I suppose, but I wouldn't let a bunch of guys come get their haircut at my house while I'm at work.

Try taking a step out of the 1950's. I suppose we'll see a post from you in the future about how your gf/so left you for being too controlling, and how you dont know how to reclaim your manlyhood. :bash:

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Try taking a step out of the 1950's. I suppose we'll see a post from you in the future about how your gf/so left you for being too controlling, and how you dont know how to reclaim your manlyhood. :bash:

Doubtful. Being respectful to each other has nothing to do with being controlling.

So you thought a comment about getting breast cancer from being coughed on was a real question and not total sarcasm?

:dw:

While it was sarcasm, his point was still the same. That's why his wife had to reply instead of him. She is obviously the smarter of the two :lol:r

stangposse

Established Member
This thread is actually getting very interesting. At first it seemed like it was becoming almost a smackdown on the op for even thinking about this situation. Now it is getting better because it is showing a clear polarization of opinions, and at this point there have been some really great points being made for avoiding a situation like this, even though the risk is extremely low. I personally have to side with those that would avoid the situation altogether. This is not due to ignorance of how the virus is contracted, or "living under a rock", or anything like that. This is just too serious of a thing to take a risk with, when you have so many other choices where that risk is easily mitigated. Some risks are nearly unavoidable without out major inconvenience, such as avoiding driving, flying, etc., as there are ways to avoid those, but a freakin haircut definitely does not even qualify as being in the same league, since there are likely 10's of millions of hair stylists in this country, so finding a safer option should be a no-brainer - especially since it bothers the op.:shrug: You guys giving him crap for trying to "control" his girlfriend are clearly missing the point that this situation could affect his life in a very big way, even though she is just his girlfriend, and not his wife. How would you all reply if he were to end up contracting the HIV just from having "normal" relations with his girl because she unknowingly got it from that dude (even if it were a 1 in a billion chance)?:nonono:

Bingo!

Some in here took this a way out of context......like I was paranoid or trying to control my girlfriend. :bash: The truth is that if she decides to go back I'm going to have to live with it. I KNOW that if that there was an "incident" she'd tell me.

It was a simple two choice poll. I was just looking to see what other's would do. Unfortunately, some have read too much into it and have completely skewed the logic.

The way I see it....where there is smoke there is fire....go a different way if possible. If you ask me, there is big difference between taking chances with mother nature than with some careless individual who can't even keep himself outta danger.

To be fair....the guy is very successful and while he works mostly out of his house he does hold a chair at a very high end salon in Manhattan one day a week. (I'm not sure how many people know about his health)

Users who are viewing this thread