Need Some HP Advice!!!!!

ihateclowns

Established Member
I have a black 93 Cobra, bone stock, with 21,600 miles. I want to keep the car looking stock, but want to make some mild performance mods. My thoughts were to start with taking the air silencer out and replace the paper air filter with a K&N (yeah, I know, yawn.......). I had also thought about getting a chip for the car as that would be hidden as well. However, I need some advice as to which chip seems to work the best with the 93 Cobras.

I don't know how long I can keep myself from putting a power adder on this thing, but for now I want to keep with my original thought of looking stock.

Thanks.........

Clowns!

tommygun

Established Member
put a gear in it and call it good LOL

its such a low milage virgin its almost not worth ****ing with.... or it is just a car that needs some stuff, thats something only you can decide.

stangbear427

Established Member
Well, for hidden things, I second the gears suggestion. Mine has 3.55's, and they're a great gear for daily driving. I've also run 3.73's, and didn't find them hard to live with either. 3.73's will totally change how it feels to drive that car, for a reletively low investment. Other (more pricy) things you can do would be porting/port matching heads and intake, extrude honing, a cam, windage tray/crank scraper, lightened flywheel, even N2O can be almost impossible to detect under the hood if done well.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
3.73's and shorty headers will wake the car up. There are no benefits from going to a chip in my opinion until you do cam and head swaps

dannyboy76

93 teal black cloth #2853
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
3.73's and shorty headers will wake the car up. There are no benefits from going to a chip in my opinion until you do cam and head swaps
+1 wait on a chip until you need somthing bigger like fuel injectors.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
A good SCT tune will work well on your car. Mainly tuning it to pull out fuel at the higher RPM range will wake it up.

I would do 3.55 gears (to keep the mileage accurate), a full set of underdrive pulleys, K&N filter, A9L swap with a Pro-M, and Bassani headers/X-pipe/catback. Keep all the stock parts, and enjoy the new power.

With those mods it will look stock (except for the headers) and easilly be put back stock if needs be.:beer:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Do your self a 10min tune up (remove silencer, K&N drop in, bump timing to 14-16 degrees), FRPP Shorty Headers, O/R H, Flowmaster Cat-back, 3.73's and your car will be very enjoyable and still remain in relatively stock.

The entire personality will change of the car. PM CGoeschel this is what he did and it was a big difference.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Red Turtle said:
Do your self a 10min tune up (remove silencer, K&N drop in, bump timing to 14-16 degrees), FRPP Shorty Headers, O/R H, Flowmaster Cat-back, 3.73's and your car will be very enjoyable and still remain in relatively stock.

The entire personality will change of the car. PM CGoeschel this is what he did and it was a big difference.

Just an FYI that old school Hpipe/Flowmaster combo will be down 10-15 HP compared to an xpipe/wide open muffler design.

tommygun

Established Member
if you really think flowmasters kill that much power then your a fool. They might hurt 3-5 on that hp level if any at all. I have run flowmasters and switched to race magnums and gained a whole 4hp.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
tommygun said:
if you really think flowmasters kill that much power then your a fool. They might hurt 3-5 on that hp level if any at all. I have run flowmasters and switched to race magnums and gained a whole 4hp.

First of all I test I don't think. If you had a brain in your head you would ask like an intelligent human why I feel the way I do.

I ran back to back tests on my 93 LX:

Hpipe/Flowmasters/BBK shorties 221/288
Xpipe/Magnaflow catback/same headers 236/296

You do the math. :loser:

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That power difference was probably mostly because of the X pipe. However, I feel the same way about flowmasters. They're not for power, they're for sound.

As far as modding the car, gears (3.73's), exhaust, a quality cold air intake, aluminum driveline (probably won't notice any power with that one, but it'll make it look a lot nicer under there). That's probably all I'd do with that one. Keep all the stock stuff (something I'm not going to do -my car with 86k has more value modded than it would stock).

Last edited:

tommygun

Established Member
twisted89GT said:
First of all I test I don't think. If you had a brain in your head you would ask like an intelligent human why I feel the way I do.

I ran back to back tests on my 93 LX:

Hpipe/Flowmasters/BBK shorties 221/288
Xpipe/Magnaflow catback/same headers 236/296

You do the math. :loser:

exactly... back to back cat back tests would have resulted in less of a differnce

but hey, thanks for playing though it was a valiant effort

stangbear427

Established Member
Yeah, I would bet the farm the difference was mostly the mid pipe, not the mufflers. To state that Flowmasters in general are costing power is pretty ignorant. Never mind that there are both perfromance and restrictive catbacks in both brands, and changing series would very likely have shown completely different results. I've seen Flowmasters make less power than stock, and as much as 30HP more with no changes other than what series muffler was being used. The same could be said for any brand, I'm sure. The power difference between a standard H pipe and a well designed X pipe is far less capricious.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
tommygun said:
exactly... back to back cat back tests would have resulted in less of a differnce

but hey, thanks for playing though it was a valiant effort

You suggested and Hpipe and Flows. I suggested xpipe straight through muffler. My suggestions makes more power period.

Hey don't feel bad, I know you cant teach an old dog new tricks.:D

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
Yeah, I would bet the farm the difference was mostly the mid pipe, not the mufflers. To state that Flowmasters in general are costing power is pretty ignorant. Never mind that there are both perfromance and restrictive catbacks in both brands, and changing series would very likely have shown completely different results. I've seen Flowmasters make less power than stock, and as much as 30HP more with no changes other than what series muffler was being used. The same could be said for any brand, I'm sure. The power difference between a standard H pipe and a well designed X pipe is far less capricious.

So you are saying that the X pipe alone made 15 RWHP and 8 RWTQ by itself? Now that is ignorant. Next time you are at an NMRA race take a peek under the Pure Street, Factory Stock, and Real Street cars. I bet you find a straight through muffler.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
No, actually, he didn't. He suggested more gear. Red Turtle suggested an H and Flows.

Oops my bad. I must have assumed anyone wanting flows would probably run an hpipe too. LOL.:D

stangbear427

Established Member
I've looked at countless dyno tests, and X pipes almost invariably make more power than H pipes, and a well designed X like the Bassani and Dr.Gas have been known to make as much as 15HP more than an H pipe all by themselves. No one is saying that straight through mufflers don't make more power, however, *newsflash* Flowmaster does make straight through mufflers just like everyone else. And back to back CATBACK tests show very little difference from brand to brand. If you can actaully feel a 4HP increase, than you should join the X Men. It isn't nearly as big a deal as the midpipe.

tommygun

Established Member
I ran FS and PS and ran dynomax welded race magnums and a X pipe.. gave the most power out of all combos I tried. But I did have flows on it at one point and changed them to the Dynomax and gained a whole 5.1rwhp..

I suggested he put a gear in the car and enjoy the car and leave it stock, that is what I would do with a 20k mile 93 virgin.

most gains I saw where when I put stepped Bassani headers on with matching X pipe.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
I've looked at countless dyno tests, and X pipes almost invariably make more power than H pipes, and a well designed X like the Bassani and Dr.Gas have been known to make as much as 15HP more than an H pipe all by themselves. No one is saying that straight through mufflers don't make more power, however, *newsflash* Flowmaster does make straight through mufflers just like everyone else. And back to back CATBACK tests show very little difference from brand to brand. If you can actaully feel a 4HP increase, than you should join the X Men. It isn't nearly as big a deal as the midpipe.

Very true. Since Red turtle only said Flowmasters the common assumption would the 2 chamber design. I based my comments on that. My dyno testing also was a American Thunder (2 chamber) catback vs. a Magnaflow.

I also go for every little bit of power I can find so 4hp adds to the bottom line. The sound IMO is also cleaner and more aggressive.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread