Need Some HP Advice!!!!!

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
tommygun said:
I ran FS and PS and ran dynomax welded race magnums and a X pipe.. gave the most power out of all combos I tried. But I did have flows on it at one point and changed them to the Dynomax and gained a whole 5.1rwhp..

I suggested he put a gear in the car and enjoy the car and leave it stock, that is what I would do with a 20k mile 93 virgin.

most gains I saw where when I put stepped Bassani headers on with matching X pipe.

I am personal friends with Steve Moberly and Derrin Hendricks which is where I learned alot of real world tricks. In classes like factory stock picking up 5RWHP is huge. Most gaines in that class will be little tricks that provide a single digit HP increase. I apply things I learned from them to my street car which is how I got a 93 LX with headers, exhaust, pulleys, and a MAF to run 13.6 on street tires (3.08 gears).

tommygun

Established Member
13.60 is nothing to brag about with those mods, sorry. When you get it down closer to the 13.1-13.2 range or better then you can be excited that this research you did about 5hp paid off. Ill go out on a limb and say your car needs more tq, not hp, which it seems as if your chasing a dyno # instead of something that makes a car work better.

but it does help when looking for every last bit of hp.... this guy is looking for a driver that maybe sounds better and the chance of him noticing 3-5hp is like saying he would notice if his fuel filter is clean. His car is not a car that will be abused to the limits of what others would do. Flows have a good fitting kit and sounds good to most people and is affordable.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
tommygun said:
13.60 is nothing to brag about with those mods, sorry. When you get it down closer to the 13.1-13.2 range or better then you can be excited that this research you did about 5hp paid off. Ill go out on a limb and say your car needs more tq, not hp, which it seems as if your chasing a dyno # instead of something that makes a car work better.

With 3.08 gears and street tires that is very respectable. Maybe you should try it. With drag radials and a gear it would have easilly gone 13.2. As for TQ I put down 296 at the wheels.

stangbear427

Established Member
I've seen stock 5.0's with nothing but the ten minute tune up put down 296 TQ. For yours I'd say it's putting putting it down in spite of your exhaust, not because of it. That being said, I will agree that I like the sound of Magnaflows more than Flowmasters. It is, however, the only reason I can see to choose one brand over another.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
I've seen stock 5.0's with nothing but the ten minute tune up put down 296 TQ. For yours I'd say it's putting putting it down in spite of your exhaust, not because of it. That being said, I will agree that I like the sound of Magnaflows more than Flowmasters. It is, however, the only reason I can see to choose one brand over another.

Those are some damn stout stockers then. The current 5.0 Mustang project car only put down 285. Many members in this forum with 93 Cobras are making the same.

tommygun

Established Member
twisted89GT said:
With 3.08 gears and street tires that is very respectable. Maybe you should try it. With drag radials and a gear it would have easilly gone 13.2. As for TQ I put down 296 at the wheels.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Dude ive done it with more then 1 car.. Ive gone 12.82@102 in a bone stock no AC, non power coupe when I lived in Houston. Ive gone 13.63@101 in a bone stock LX hatch with stock ponys (stock maf, stock exhuast) WIth similar mods as you in the LX hatch I was in the 12.90s on street tires.

so please refrain from acting like you know more then someone who has done it, being buddies with a few drives doesnt give you ANY credibility, right now its making you look like a tool.

back on topic. If you care to preach more please PM me I would love to hear more stories.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
The guy was looking for suggestion on what to do to his car and all im reading is bitching back and forth about exhaust.

Keep it on the subject please.

Last edited:

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
tommygun said:
:bowdown: :bowdown:

Dude ive done it with more then 1 car.. Ive gone 12.82@102 in a bone stock no AC, non power coupe when I lived in Houston. Ive gone 13.63@101 in a bone stock LX hatch with stock ponys (stock maf, stock exhuast) WIth similar mods as you in the LX hatch I was in the 12.90s on street tires.

so please refrain from acting like you know more then someone who has done it, being buddies with a few drives doesnt give you ANY credibility, right now its making you look like a tool.

back on topic. If you care to preach more please PM me I would love to hear more stories.

Don't get so butthurt just because someone has a different opinion. I am sure you had blah blah that ran blah blah. You started with the insults and acting like a child because someone has a different opinion than you.

ihateclowns

Established Member
Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. I drove the car today and have made up my mind to make a few minor mods. Probably will go with gears and a K&N less silencer for now. The reason I even kicked around the chip idea is to prepare the way for a supercharger in the future.

With that being said, lets take this conversation down a different path. What is the best supercharger for the 93 Cobra? I have been doing some research on the Vortech SQ but am not totally sold on it yet? Anyone running this one?

Clowns!

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
ihateclowns said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I drove the car today and have made up my mind to make a few minor mods. Probably will go with gears and a K&N less silencer for now. The reason I even kicked around the chip idea is to prepare the way for a supercharger in the future.

With that being said, lets take this conversation down a different path. What is the best supercharger for the 93 Cobra? I have been doing some research on the Vortech SQ but am not totally sold on it yet? Anyone running this one?

Clowns!

Vortech.:rockon:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
twisted89GT said:
I apply things I learned from them to my street car which is how I got a 93 LX with headers, exhaust, pulleys, and a MAF to run 13.6 on street tires (3.08 gears).

Why if you're so particular with 1 hp increases, would you even bother trying to run on street tires? The inconsistencies from street tires alone would prove worthless any small increases in hp you'd gained. The most overlooked performance item on typical street cars, are tires. Their gains in ET are at times equal to, or more than even power adders, and allow deadly consistency.

Anyway, I agree though that any hp increase whether small or large should be sought after and considered.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
twisted89GT said:
So you are saying that the X pipe alone made 15 RWHP and 8 RWTQ by itself? Now that is ignorant. Next time you are at an NMRA race take a peek under the Pure Street, Factory Stock, and Real Street cars. I bet you find a straight through muffler.

An X-pipe alone can add 15 more by itself, I agree with that too.

And I'll bet if you peek under those same cars with straight through mufflers, they all have X-pipes too.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Why if you're so particular with 1 hp increases, would you even bother trying to run on street tires? The inconsistencies from street tires alone would prove worthless any small increases in hp you'd gained. The most overlooked performance item on typical street cars, are tires. Their gains in ET are at times equal to, or more than even power adders, and allow deadly consistency.

Anyway, I agree though that any hp increase whether small or large should be sought after and considered.

Since the car was running a 3.08 gear and was basically stock the DR's actually hurt my ET ( was not launching hard due to the stock 100K+ clutch). The car liked a little bit of spin to get moving. I was slipping the clutch out of the hole and powershifting around 5400. I never got back to the track after I installed the gears and King Cobra clutch. Launching the car hard on drag radials with the gear it may have broken into the 12's, but that is internet racing.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
And I'll bet if you peek under those same cars with straight through mufflers, they all have X-pipes too.

For sure. I was talking mufflers at that point since certain people's panties got in a wad after I said Flowmasters did not make max power.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
ihateclowns said:

Clowns!

How much power/boost are you wanting to throw out. I like Paxton and Prochargers.

But take it from us that have run blowers, buy a turbo kit instead of a supercharger

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
Yeah, there really is no right answer to the power adder question. There isn't one that is best for these cars; but there definitely is one that is best for meeting your goals. Therefore, you have to determine what exactly it is you want from a power adder, because they are all different. If you do find a centrifugal blower will do what you want most efficiently, it's a matter of finding the one that offers the best package for your application. The question you need to ask isn't "which is best for the Cobra", it's what is your purpose? How will you put the extra power to use? How much power do you want to make? Where in the band do you want to make it? How much do you want to spend? There are inherent advantages and disadvantages to each that are simply a matter of perspective and priorities, and you will have to balance the facts against your goals to determine which will be best for you. Generally I agree with most that the turbos are superior, but they also have their share of BS to wade through that blowers generally don't, and only you will know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
Generally I agree with most that the turbos are superior, but they also have their share of BS to wade through that blowers generally don't, and only you will know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Overall a great post, but this I agree with the most.

stangbear427

Established Member
ihateclowns said:
The reason I even kicked around the chip idea is to prepare the way for a supercharger in the future.
Oh, one other thing just in response to this statement: this train of thought wasn't really valid for a few reasons. If you got a chip now it would be burned to optimise everything for the car as it is. If you were to get anything done later (cam, heads, etc) the chip would have to be re-burned with a new program to optimise settings for the new combe, at additional expense. Furthermore, most well packaged supercharger kits come with a chip already set to make the car run right with the blower, making the chip you bought in preparation unnecessary. Essentially you'd be throwing two (costly) stones at one bird.

Users who are viewing this thread