Need Some HP Advice!!!!!

ihateclowns

Established Member
Supercharger vs. Turbo

I am looking to make in the 300-350 rwhp range. I will basically be driving the car around town, so the 1/4 miles action is out.

I am convinced that the chip does need to wait. Instead I am pondering putting that $$$ towards some exhaust upgrades.

Supercharger vs. Turbo - Now this is a whole different ball of wax. I want a power adder that is quiet. I have always had all motor cars (last was a Teal 93 Cobra with h/c/i, bassani headers/x-pipe, etc at 312 rwhp) but have always wanted a power adder. I love the quick response of superchargers, but don't like the whistle. That is why I was looking into the SQ trim. I just don't know how much more quiet they are. As for turbos, I know the guys at my local 5.0/4.6 shop are really pushing that method for making power. My only issue with those is the lag that usually goes with a turbo. What other issues are there with either of these power adders that I have failed to mention. Remember my goal, bolt on, bolt off power, 300-350 rwhp, and QUIET.

Clowns!

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
You definitely want turbo if you want quiet.

I push for turbo because..

They are quiet until its time not to be quiet :-D
Economy is better because they do not create drag on an engine like a supercharger.
You don't have to replace a belt every few thousand miles or keep a spare in the car at any given time for emergency.

The correct size turbo for your application will not 'lag'

tommygun

Established Member
in the what to do for 2500 thread there is a guy selling complete turbo kits for 2800.00.

ihateclowns

Established Member
I smell what your cookin'!

OK, turbo. Got it. What size and what manufacturer? What does anyone know about Helion? My local shop is pushing them and as an FYI, they are in the process of working with them to build a prototype twin turbo for my neighbor's 2007 Shelby 500. They are ballparking 1000+ rwhp!

Clowns!

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
ihateclowns said:
OK, turbo. Got it. What size and what manufacturer? What does anyone know about Helion? My local shop is pushing them and as an FYI, they are in the process of working with them to build a prototype twin turbo for my neighbor's 2007 Shelby 500. They are ballparking 1000+ rwhp!

Clowns!

From what I have seen Hellion is a top notch kit. I like the fact that you don't have to cut the fender aprons, and it is all inclusive. Check out Turbomustangs.com and search hellion for some reviews.:beer:

mgerman93

Established Member
"I am looking to make in the 300-350 rwhp range."

No power adder is required. It can be TOTALLY streetable to boot.......

stangbear427

Established Member
True, but a power-adder combo making only 350HP should be pretty damn streetable as well, since it really isn't asking for much from it. Especially a turbo, with their stock-like cam profiles. IMO, to make 350HP n/a will require a head/cam combo that would be less streetable than just putting a turbo on a bone stock Cobra and eclipsing that power level with ease- which any well designed turbo kit should do. Like I said- this power level isn't asking much from a power adder.

tommygun

Established Member
only thing I would suggest is if you ever plan on pushing on the car hard (racing a lot) upgrade your head bolts to some ARPs and maybe even a set of 9333 or 1011-1 head gaskets.

r351winner

Established Member
i wouldnt get a chip, not until u really have a reason, and if u just looking to wake it up i would go with changing up the timing, 3.73 or 4.10 gears and lt headers with some cutouts ... are u willing to change up ur intake?

as far as blower or turbo it really just depends on how ur gonna build the motor .... if ur just looking for some good power and be happy with it then i would go blower ... but if u think about going serious with it as far as internals i would go turbo

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
There are advantages either way.

As far as lag, centrifical superchargers technically have the most lag of any power adder, and for some reason, people don't point that out. You don't see full boost until near peak rpm.

With a turbo you can have full boost in the 2000 rpm range, you'll make more torque than most factory diesels, have a big broad power band, and it'll be whisper quiet when driving around.

The supercharger is easier to install, a bit cheaper, less complex, and will make good peak hp numbers.

For your goals, a basic turbo system at about 8 lbs will easily exceed that. Run a 60mm turbo with about a .69, or .81 a/r exhaust housing for quick spool and lots of torque. You'll never look at those old belt driven pumps again.

As far as head gaskets, keep it under 10 lbs and you won't have to touch the motor (and I prefer felpro 8548's with ARP's if you have to change them).

Last edited:

ihateclowns

Established Member
Awesome!

I am really begining to like this website. There is a ton of advice floating around and there seems to be general agreement most of the time as to how one should tackle an issue.

I do not plan on taking any power adder for the car above 8 psi, and I do not plan on pushing the car to the extremes (smile). Just want to make sure I have enough in my back pocket to handle any newer GTs that might want to pick on the "Old Car" or any of those annoying rice burners that sound like a bumble bee on steroids.

Wanted to list some of my prior rides to give you guys an idea of where I have been.

1977 Mustang II - Hey it was High School and all I could afford!
1968 GT Fastback 4-Speed - Very fun numbers matching car.
1969 Mach I - All Smiles with this one.
1993 Triple Black GT Convertible - A nice fill in car.
1966 Fastback - Candyapple red sporting 17" Torque Thrust IIs.
1993 Teal Cobra - H/C/I, coilovers, TKO500, Moser, etc.
1993 Black Cobra - The new patient...................

Clowns!

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
Didn't read all posts, but I have a 91 LX Coupe, and I want to leave it stock even though it has a 126,000 mile drivetrain in a 108K car that started life as a new 4cyl and ended as a peice of junk 4cyl. It has now been born again and is more beautiful than ever...thanks my dads bodywork and my painting.:rockon: I have had offers from $7500 to $8500 that I have turned down. Not that I wouldn't be making a ton of money, it's just that I have pride in knowing that I built it.

So if I had a mint and original 93 Cobra with that low of mileage like you do, I would definately keep it stock.:bowdown:

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
SVT32VDOHC said:
So if I had a mint and original 93 Cobra with that low of mileage like you do, I would definately keep it stock
It's all bolt on stuff that can be undone anyway.

And in case he needs to sell it, it's as valuable stock to just as many as it is modified. So either way, you're set.

Last edited:

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
Why. Stock performance sucks

That is just my opinion, I like stock performance, it is nice to drive an old stock car like my notch. If I want speed I will drive my Cobra, or just take out my dads 2007 Shelby GT500. But I guess if that is the guys only car and he wants speed, then he will have to modify it.

Last edited:

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
It's all bolt on stuff that can be undone anyway.

And in case he needs to sell it, it's as valuable stock to just as many as it is modified. So either way, you're set.

Yes, I agree completely. I was thinking about that after I posted originally. It would be smart to save the stock parts. I just love seeing stock cars that are mint at car shows.

Users who are viewing this thread