Neighbor's house up in flames

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Edit: Sorry mods. This should be in pics and video.. Feel free to move.

The Mrs. and I were woken up this morning at around 5am by the sound of a LOUD boom! I mean loud!

Went outside to investigate and there was an ominous orange glow coming through the tress, and I could hear my neighbor screaming that her house was on fire!

Single woman, and she escaped fine, thankfully. Still missing some cats...

We went down to see if there was anything we could do, but it was pretty much a lost cause. Apparently she has NO insurance. I'll get some daytime pics today.

Scary business. It's had been a record dry year here in California.. Thank god for fire fighters.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That sucks, and yeah, I saw how dry it was out there and all the brush fire. Hope it all works out for her.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Wow, not much left of that house. How long was that picture taken after the fire started?

Glad that nobody was hurt.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Wow, not much left of that house. How long was that picture taken after the fire started?

Glad that nobody was hurt.

Within 5 mins of waking up. Not sure how long it had been going before then. She said it was her pellet stove.

MTBSully

Established Member
Edit: Sorry mods. This should be in pics and video.. Feel free to move.

The Mrs. and I were woken up this morning at around 5am by the sound of a LOUD boom! I mean loud!

Went outside to investigate and there was an ominous orange glow coming through the tress, and I could hear my neighbor screaming that her house was on fire!

Single woman, and she escaped fine, thankfully. Still missing some cats...

We went down to see if there was anything we could do, but it was pretty much a lost cause. Apparently she has NO insurance. I'll get some daytime pics today.

Scary business. It's had been a record dry year here in California.. Thank god for fire fighters.

That truly sucks and a feel bad for her. But i couldnt help but chuckle at these two parts.

Anyways hope everything works out for her and glad she got out okay. Was the boom the water heater or boiler or something?

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
That truly sucks and a feel bad for her. But i couldnt help but chuckle at these two parts.

Anyways hope everything works out for her and glad she got out okay. Was the boom the water heater or boiler or something?

:lol: That's not nice.

I don't know what it was, there were a few explosions, but the one was super loud! Water heaters have pressure release valves on them. They'll hiss pretty loud when they go, but not a boom. (remember that episode of mythbusters?)

Same thing with propane tanks... :shrug:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Yea I thought same thing, crazy cat lady hoarder could be a reason....

That sucks for her truly. If she owned it outright then she doesn't have to get insurance on it. Bad move.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Yea I thought same thing, crazy cat lady hoarder could be a reason....

That sucks for her truly. If she owned it outright then she doesn't have to get insurance on it. Bad move.

Yeah, saving a couple $$$ per month with no insurance probably doesn't look so affordable now...

oldmodman

Established Member
Feel bad for her. Not the cats. But no insurance?!!

There are a lot of areas in California where you can not get covered by normal insurance.
It's due to the extreme fire hazard and inability of the local fire responders to reach the property in a timely manner.
There are special insurance programs run by the state but they are quite expensive and have an incredibly high deductible.
For instance I live in an OK fire area but a dangerous earthquake area. So by house insurance does not cover earthquake damage. Supplemental insurance is available but it doesn't cover the first 65K in damage and won't cover the required earthquake upgrades during rebuilding.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
"Single woman, and she escaped fine, thankfully. Still missing some cats..."

It should have read: Single woman and she escaped fine, thankfully still missing some cats...

Users who are viewing this thread