New cobra 683 RWHP?

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
They cams are not the same a the GT!

Tim

4-Valve Heads from Ford GT

While supercharging is a key element in the Shelby GT500’s ability to generate so much horsepower, another major contributing component is the design of cast-aluminum, four-valve cylinder heads sourced from the Ford GT supercar.

Machining changes are incorporated into the outside ends of the heads and to the left rear cam cap to fit the engine into the Mustang chassis.

Developed specifically for supercharged applications, these high-performance heads use high-flow ports and specially calibrated dual-overhead camshafts to deliver optimum engine "breathing" along with surprisingly good fuel efficiency and emissions.

The cams and valvetrain are specific to the Shelby GT500. The cam drive system is unique and designed to fit into the Mustang engine compartment, which is narrower than the Ford GT’s. The oil pan and windage tray are the wet-sump setup from the Mustang GT. The Ford GT uses a dry-sump arrangement.

Last edited:

mrsuds

Established Member
fastkars.com said:
Hmm, what do GT's normally dyno with those bolt-ons? The GT-500 will be less of course, (no twin screw :cryying: ). It should give you an idea however, I think GT's with a pulley/tune/catback dyno around that. There is no way a roots s/c could be just as efficent with inferior heads. :shrug:

Ummmm, sorry to burst your bubble but the GT500 heads are the same heads as in the GT. :nono:

NCETRY

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
They cams are not the same a the GT!

Tim

4-Valve Heads from Ford GT

While supercharging is a key element in the Shelby GT500’s ability to generate so much horsepower, another major contributing component is the design of cast-aluminum, four-valve cylinder heads sourced from the Ford GT supercar.

Machining changes are incorporated into the outside ends of the heads and to the left rear cam cap to fit the engine into the Mustang chassis.

Developed specifically for supercharged applications, these high-performance heads use high-flow ports and specially calibrated dual-overhead camshafts to deliver optimum engine "breathing" along with surprisingly good fuel efficiency and emissions.

The cams and valvetrain are specific to the Shelby GT500. The cam drive system is unique and designed to fit into the Mustang engine compartment, which is narrower than the Ford GT’s. The oil pan and windage tray are the wet-sump setup from the Mustang GT. The Ford GT uses a dry-sump arrangement.

Sorry to burst your buble but if you check the Ford SVT site it says same heads and cams as the Ford GT. It would be impossable to change the cam drive system cause that would require designing a whole new head just for the GT500. Nothing about that engine has been made just to fit in the engine compartment. Ford does not even have to trim the shock towers to get it to fit like they did with the 2000 Cobra R. And the 2000 Cobra R had the same engine minus the supercharger.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
NCETRY said:
Sorry to burst your buble but if you check the Ford SVT site it says same heads and cams as the Ford GT. It would be impossable to change the cam drive system cause that would require designing a whole new head just for the GT500. Nothing about that engine has been made just to fit in the engine compartment. Ford does not even have to trim the shock towers to get it to fit like they did with the 2000 Cobra R. And the 2000 Cobra R had the same engine minus the supercharger.

Sorry to burst your bubble ;-) , but you are not correct.

Link

Scroll down to "4 valve heads from GT"

"4-Valve Heads from Ford GT

The cams and valvetrain are specific to the Shelby GT500. The cam drive system is unique and designed to fit into the Mustang engine compartment, which is narrower than the Ford GT’s. The oil pan and windage tray are the wet-sump setup from the Mustang GT. The Ford GT uses a dry-sump arrangement. "

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
GTSpartan said:
Sorry to burst your bubble ;-) , but you are not correct.

Link

Scroll down to "4 valve heads from GT"

"4-Valve Heads from Ford GT

The cams and valvetrain are specific to the Shelby GT500. The cam drive system is unique and designed to fit into the Mustang engine compartment, which is narrower than the Ford GT’s. The oil pan and windage tray are the wet-sump setup from the Mustang GT. The Ford GT uses a dry-sump arrangement. "

You really can't argue with that. But people will.

-Jeff

SlowSVT

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I don't disagree with you, but I must've missed where someone said something to the contrary.

I imagine the flow rate of the heads would be more of a factor once you get into the stratosphere horse power levels these engines are capable of. Same thing with adding headers. With headers on the 4.6 Cobra engine below 600 hp I bet most of the gain is from reduced pumping losses. Anything above that then you need to move more volume of gasses through the engine.

This is an oversimplification of course and I am by no means an expert.

:beer:

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
NCETRY said:

Learn to read! :poke:

mrsuds

Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Learn to read! :poke:

Understood, that the cams and valvetrain are specific to the GT500. I could be mistaken here but would the head casting be the same for both the GT and GT500, except that the GT500 head has more machining done to the exterior to make it fit.

Just my ignorant rumblings..

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
mrsuds said:
Understood, that the cams and valvetrain are specific to the GT500. I could be mistaken here but would the head casting be the same for both the GT and GT500, except that the GT500 head has more machining done to the exterior to make it fit.

Just my ignorant rumblings..

I think you may be right. I think they mean the GT500 will use the same heads (castings, valve size, etc) as the GT, but will have different components (cams, valves, springs, chain drive system).

I really don't know, I just posted the link to what Ford has said the heads will be.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I don't know about 638 off of pulley, X-haust N tune. Mabybe like 530-540. I could see 550-570 off of chip,pulley,X-haust,tune and maybe 600 with a port.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Stang Lover said:
I don't know about 638 off of pulley, X-haust N tune. Mabybe like 530-540. I could see 550-570 off of chip,pulley,X-haust,tune and maybe 600 with a port.

Another 5.4 expert. :poke:

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Stang Lover said:
isnt a chip the same as a tune?

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
The GT is a lot lighter with different gearing and a twin-screw at higher stock boost levels, so a revised cam profile shouldn't be a big suprise. Given that they designated specific cams for the GT500 rather than using stock or GT sticks I think should be viewed as big positive.

Considering today you can take a stock 370rwhp 03/04 Cobra with a smaller motor and smaller blower and add 160-170 rwhp with ported blower and bolt-ons, 638 rwhp is completely believable for the GT500.

R1Lello

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
The GT500 has dual 62 mm TB and yes, it's computer controlled. I don't know what effect will be with swapping that out with a cable and bypassing the computer. I image the 05 GT Mustang guys know the answer to that.

:banana: that's been cracked for months.........SCT and Diablosport tuners have corrected this

Users who are viewing this thread