New custom hood on the DSG Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerRedGT

Established Member
Is that a Tiger Racing hood? or did he modify the stock hood?

racebronco2

Established Member
Carlos' workmanship is top notch. I wonder if his new design keeps more water out than mine does.

I have one of his Mark 1.2 hoods. Still need to get it painted though. It's still DSG. But it actually looks pretty good on my Zinc yellow as is.

I could swear your hood was a silver metallic.:shrug:

racebronco2

Established Member
Ron, it sure looks great on your car.

It's a stock hood with louvers added to it. I wanted to keep the same basic body lines. I drive my car in all weather conditions. Ron and i have been on track a few years ago when it was pouring rain. Look at post #10, ExtremeSpeed Events Horse Thief Mile Pics / Vids / Results Thead - SoCalTerminators.com Forums.

If you look closely the center of the hood is extended about 1 1/2" but it's tapered from the headlights. It's to create more downforce and reduce the amount of air that goes into the upper grille area.

Look at the rear of the hood i added a lip to help reduce the wind resistance over the windshield area.

With this hood it will cool better all the time, allow the car to reach speeds faster with reduced drag, the air over the hood actually sucks the air thru the grill area allowing for stable high speed runs. It's been tested for speeds up to 172.3mph in the mile. That's without the whipple and about 50-70 less hp than the current set-up. I was only 3 mph slower than several stock ZR1's, stock Zo6's were in the high 160's and a whipple powered cobra was about 10mph slower than me despite having a 50hp advantage.

Stock 13 GT500 couldn't break into the 160's three different drivers tried.

Ron's is my 4th hood and the most expensive one too. He just had to have the works.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Paul Brown of Tiger Racing (rest his soul) did have some input in the second design in which is the current design.

Here is the first design hood i made for a friend in which olmodman has now.

paulshood3medium.jpg

paulshood2medium.jpg

paulshood1medium.jpg

Jaysin

Established Member
Car looks fantastic, and those ccw's look perfect with the svt center caps. Love it

tnuce10

Established Member
Ron, it sure looks great on your car.

It's a stock hood with louvers added to it. I wanted to keep the same basic body lines. I drive my car in all weather conditions. Ron and i have been on track a few years ago when it was pouring rain. Look at post #10, ExtremeSpeed Events Horse Thief Mile Pics / Vids / Results Thead - SoCalTerminators.com Forums.

If you look closely the center of the hood is extended about 1 1/2" but it's tapered from the headlights. It's to create more downforce and reduce the amount of air that goes into the upper grille area.

Look at the rear of the hood i added a lip to help reduce the wind resistance over the windshield area.

With this hood it will cool better all the time, allow the car to reach speeds faster with reduced drag, the air over the hood actually sucks the air thru the grill area allowing for stable high speed runs. It's been tested for speeds up to 172.3mph in the mile. That's without the whipple and about 50-70 less hp than the current set-up. I was only 3 mph slower than several stock ZR1's, stock Zo6's were in the high 160's and a whipple powered cobra was about 10mph slower than me despite having a 50hp advantage.

Stock 13 GT500 couldn't break into the 160's three different drivers tried.

Ron's is my 4th hood and the most expensive one too. He just had to have the works.

You do some amazing work!

I didn't notice the lip on the back of the hood until you mentioned it, but I thought it looked like the front was extended a bit...reminds me of when I had an Audi A4. There was a company that made hoods which came down a bit further in front and covered the corner of the headlights.

Out of curiosity, what would these same mods run if someone were to send you their hood?

PM me if you don't want to post your price up

racebronco2

Established Member
Most people just want the recessed portion of the hood just like the silver metallic one. That's 400.00 and is finished ready for paint on both sides. If you want anything else it my be best to wait because i have been in contact recently (yesterday he contacted me after seeing Ron's hood) with a person whom is interested in making them it in carbon fiber. We'll have to wait and see.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
that is the first hood i have ever seen for a terminator that i would consider replacing the beautiful stock hood with. looks sick ron :beer:

love the one a local guy has on his gt500 as well.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
like the hood. definately different. car looks sick man!!

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
Nice and I bet that resolves some heat soak issues if you had any

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread