New E92 M3 possibly 450hp

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
chuckstang said:
No, majority do not buy BMW for it's performance, not even the M series, mainly because you can buy a much faster car for less money, if performance is what you are after. The M3 M5 and such are all great cars but from a performance stand point, they just are not worth the $$$ IMO.
For a DD, it is great though because they are comfortable, look pretty nice, and perform well all around.
Even if the BMW M3 stickered at 45k, I still think most would take a vette or gt500 over it.

Remember this is a Ford site so I am naturally biassed.

Well Chuck, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I instruct for the BMW Clubs at their track events, and I can tell you one thing about BMW owners, they are driving enthusiasts. Just like the Cobra and SVT owners of the SVTOA Club. On the other side of the coin there are a majority of people who think cars are utilitarian and could care less about "numbers". Perhaps why such shit boxes like Scions and Elements are so popular? :shrug:

People that buy M3's and M5's are not as concerned about money as you are Chuck. They have it, they are going to spend it and they are not as worried about the particular vehicle's ultimate performance as you might be. :idea: They have a chunk of change to spend on a car and whether it's 60k, 100k or 200k they are going to buy the car THEY want. Just because a car magazine says a C6 Vette can out perform what they are looking at, they could give a rat's ass. I can relate.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I agree Bruce with you, I have been to Porshe events, BMW, and Mustang, we all have the same passion with our cars and getting seat time on the track. Money is money, I've seen Mazda Miata's whoop up on BMW, Porsche, and Mustangs--I don't see everyone buying a built Miata, its all individual preference. I true car sportsman appreciates competition and other cars to play with. Debating on who's is faster is all speculation. Bruce, got any more vids of your GT500 for me to watch?

Dave

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Performance has many, many, very different componants. For some its raw numbers, for some of us its a percieved value thing, and for some sadly mistaken types its stereo wattage. All we can do is present the facts and apply our own bias. Using our inside voice.

Just wish there were more car people than brand people. I don't give a damm if they call it a hippopotamus(though I'm kinda partial to COBRA:-D ) if it does the job for the money. Something the domestics need to learn double quick pronto if they hope to play in a new world.

Dave07997S

Established Member
SteveEvo8 said:
I am sure those who are serious about going to the track would buy the CSL. Its truly an amazing car.

Hey Dave, have there been problems with the new M5's? I have seen a couple used ones around with under 5k miles.

Steve

A lot of people bought these cars because the SMG has a auto function thinking it would be all smooth...not. The M5 is best driven in manual mode and learning when to shift and lift throttle as you would a manual to be smooth. In auto mode it is annoying and jerky, the reason why my good friend didn't buy one. He ended up with a new XK...

Dave

Dave07997S

Established Member
chuckstang said:
No, majority do not buy BMW for it's performance, not even the M series, mainly because you can buy a much faster car for less money, if performance is what you are after. The M3 M5 and such are all great cars but from a performance stand point, they just are not worth the $$$ IMO.
For a DD, it is great though because they are comfortable, look pretty nice, and perform well all around.
Even if the BMW M3 stickered at 45k, I still think most would take a vette or gt500 over it.

Remember this is a Ford site so I am naturally biassed.

Thats because you never drove one to any length..if you did such as me and are able to financially afford one you will be singing a different tune. Now the GT500 has me all hot and bothered, and am pretty sure its at the got to have mode for me now...

Dave

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
dtheo said:
I agree Bruce with you, I have been to Porshe events, BMW, and Mustang, we all have the same passion with our cars and getting seat time on the track. Money is money, I've seen Mazda Miata's whoop up on BMW, Porsche, and Mustangs--I don't see everyone buying a built Miata, its all individual preference. I true car sportsman appreciates competition and other cars to play with. Debating on who's is faster is all speculation. Bruce, got any more vids of your GT500 for me to watch?

Dave

Dave:

I'm still awaiting the split screen session that Andy (black RX7) and I did. He's supposed to be working on it and I guess I need to rattle his cage a little??!

:-D

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
Perhaps why such shit boxes like Scions and Elements are so popular? :shrug:

I HATE FRIGGIN TOASTERS .... They are definately the ugliest thing out right now.

Funny how some people have to own the ugliest shitbox they can find just to say "I got one". I wouldn't even be caught dead taking a dump in one of those (even though that's about all they're worth).

I remember when they first came out I was shocked and thought that NO ONE would ever buy one of those things.... Now they are "Right popular aint they?" Just goes to show that anything sells nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread