New ecoboost ford GT has worse mpg than any comparable supercar

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
You can cry and bitch about the EB all you want. Reality is Ford will sell every Raptor it makes, and there won't be enough of them. Double that for the GT

Are you upset?

I agree that they will sell everyone of them for both raptor and the GT. At the same time they would sell even more raptors with a less controversial engine choice. There's a reason why the gen 1 raptor is still selling for $50k used, even though the new one is faster.

engine A is a none traditional choice, good performance but controversial, pisses off 20% of your customers

engine B is traditional, good performance but appeasing to 90% of the market.

Its obvious which one is a better business strategy. If you havent noticed the lack of excitement about ford performance these days. No one is talking about the GT350. All you hear about is the hellcat and the zl1, even on ford/svt forums. I dont see how anyone can consider that a good thing.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are you upset?

I agree that they will sell everyone of them for both raptor and the GT. At the same time they would sell even more raptors with a less controversial engine choice. There's a reason why the gen 1 raptor is still selling for $50k used, even though the new one is faster.

engine A is a none traditional choice, good performance but controversial, pisses off 20% of your customers

Its obvious which one is a better business strategy. If you havent noticed the lack of excitement about ford performance these days. No one is talking about the GT350. All you hear about is the hellcat and the zl1, even on ford/svt forums. I dont see how anyone can consider that a good thing.

How can they sell more than every one of them? lol

Man I get it, but to say that tthe Gen I Raptor is a better truck than the Gen II, is just lying to yourself.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Is there a difference between sports car exotic and super car? There's a lot of basic cars your comparing to the hand built GT. Nice cars, expensive cars but not what I call a super car.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
You said the first part.

Then insinuated the second.

Not intentionally. The new one is lighter, more powerful and has better suspension. The gen 2 was underpowered from the get go. The 5.4L was a joke and the 6.2L was documented as being slower than a 2wd lariat with ecoboost. One of the few times in history where the svt model was slower in a straight line than the standard ford equivalent. Inexplicable that the raptor did not get a detuned gt500 engine from the get go.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Is there a difference between sports car exotic and super car? There's a lot of basic cars your comparing to the hand built GT. Nice cars, expensive cars but not what I call a super car.

the direct competitors of the GT are the ferrari 488 GTB, acura nsx, mclaren 650s/675LT, not sure about the huracan.

eventually ford should release the performance #s so we can see how it stacks up. I suspect it will have better laptimes but less straightline acceleration than the 675LT.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bragging rights? Better gas mileage would be considered bragging rights?
I am totally confused by that statement, too. I doubt any Ford GT owner gives a hoot about advertised or actual fuel economy.

Seriously, though, bragging rights for fuel economy? I don't think so. What it IS about is bragging rights for a kick-butt platform. Do I care at all about the Ford GT's fuel economy? Heck no! I could are less. What I do care about is how it slays the competition on the track. Go Ford! IMO Ford hit a huge grand slam home run with the new GT.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Not intentionally. The new one is lighter, more powerful and has better suspension. The gen 2 was underpowered from the get go. The 5.4L was a joke and the 6.2L was documented as being slower than a 2wd lariat with ecoboost. One of the few times in history where the svt model was slower in a straight line than the standard ford equivalent. Inexplicable that the raptor did not get a detuned gt500 engine from the get go.

Uh, the power is actually a tad too much for the stock suspension for it's intended purpose. IE offroad and not racing to the mall/coffee shops.

You can get into a lot of trouble with 411 horsepower in a 6k lb truck in multiple terrains.
The Raptor is one vehicle where the first mods should be suspension than more power.

On January 16th, 2013 Ford SVT opened it's doors to 25+ Raptor owners. They had bagels, OJ and coffee waiting for us in an auditorium. We had a snack and listened to Jamal Hameedi, Kerry Baldori (Chief Function Engineering), and Raj Sarker (Marketing) go through the same presentation that was used to promote the Raptor within Ford.

4. Would Ford consider selling the Raptor from the factory Supercharged?
• No, it would lessen an already slim market by severely reducing fuel economy. At that point, they asked the crowd if they thought the raptor doesn’t have enough power. Almost everyone agreed that the raptor has more than enough power offroad and most thought it had plenty on road as well. Thoroughly demonstrating their point of the reduced market. They stated that there are some great aftermarket options for those who would want a supercharger. (Such as Roush, that we later learned during the Roush tour, will still remain under factory warranty depending on the supercharger size). They also noted that Roush is able to bore the 6.2 out to get achieve 7.0L.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/what-would-you-ask-svt-engineering-19604/index10.html#post347798

Not to mention heat soak that would come from lugging around a truck that size offroad.

Papaw

Established Member
Yeah, I'm still going to wait for the next upgrade to the Ford GT.
A Four Cylinder.
Even better, a Three Cylinder triple turbo. We'll call it the Smart GT.

Sure, no one cares about it's gas mileage. And they sure don't care about history!

This lousy V6 thing is riding on the coat tails of the Ford GT and the GT40 that preceded it, that lore and reputation was earned by a V-8 engine.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
There s alot more to MPGs than just the engine. Plus...

The only ppl that care are the ppl that are totally butt hurt over this car having an ecoboost lol.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
All true except the Viper has 140% more displacement. The V10 engine does have 2.4x the displacement of the 3.5 Ecoboost.

Maybe check your math again. 8.4 is most certainly 2.4x the size of 3.5.

What's the Cd on the Ford gt? I bet it's fairly high as the body is meant to generate true down force, which will hurt fuel economy.

Also, what's the power numbers on the gt?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Are you upset?

They sold 880k F series trucks this last year. The next closest waa the Silverado at like 460k. How many of those customers did you say Ford is alienating?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Maybe check your math again. 8.4 is most certainly 2.4x the size of 3.5.

What's the Cd on the Ford gt? I bet it's fairly high as the body is meant to generate true down force, which will hurt fuel economy.

Also, what's the power numbers on the gt?

Yes, 2.4x the displacement but 140% MORE displacement. ((8.4-3.5)/3.5)x 100% = 140%

Idk if the Cd is known but I would guess it's less than .3. Nobody knows the final power numbers but 650 is in the ballpark as Ford said 600+. Torque probably mid to upper 500s

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Yes, 2.4x the displacement but 140% MORE displacement. ((8.4-3.5)/3.5)x 100% = 140%

Idk if the Cd is known but I would guess it's less than .3. Nobody knows the final power numbers but 650 is in the ballpark as Ford said 600+. Torque probably mid to upper 500s

I went back. I misread your post. I thought you said it does not have 2.4x.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Performance, price, and class of car aside...

There is NOTHING economical about ANY Ford "Eco"boost product.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
They sold 880k F series trucks this last year. The next closest waa the Silverado at like 460k. How many of those customers did you say Ford is alienating?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

total f-series is much higher than that. I believe you meant 880k for f-150 alone. GM splits their sales figures between sierra and silverado. The total number of 1500 series GM pickup trucks for last year was around 850k.

the 5.0L counts for almost a third of f-150 sales even though it has virtually zero marketing at ford corporate and the dealer level. So rest assured if ford makes the decision to axe v8s from f150 they will indeed alienate a significant number of customers.

Me personally im on my second f-150. If i were buying a brand new 2017 truck today it would be the sierra denali with 6.2L. I do like the new looks of the 018 f-150 lariat sport though. Hopefully the coyote with direct injection comes in at 400hp/420lb-ft.

Users who are viewing this thread