New engine or rebuild

Racing4Autism

Established Member
I have a 2010 Shelby GT500, is it better for me to rebuild my engine or just buy a new short block.. I lost 4 pistons in a melt down.. Who has a good race engine out there, keep in mind this car is set up for Rally Racing.. Car has 655 rwhp and 590 ftlbs when this happened. Any advise for me would be appreciated.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
well that sucks... im guessing it wasnt cooling properly? Probably cheaper to buy a new short block. Something along the lines of the Ford GT aluminum block with a dry sump sytem would be cool, but idk much about it

littlejohn

Established Member
I lost my motor as well this fall. My oil pump failed at 170+ mph at a top speed event in Alberta. Will be going with a built shortblock from MMR; it will be actually cheaper than rebuilding, and better.

If I can come up with the funds, I will be going with the 'big bore' Darton-sleeved block, and get 5.8 litres/351+ cubes! And stage 2 ported heads to go with it!

Will post results when all is done.

65SC

Established Member
I have a 2010 Shelby GT500, is it better for me to rebuild my engine or just buy a new short block.. I lost 4 pistons in a melt down.. Who has a good race engine out there, keep in mind this car is set up for Rally Racing.. Car has 655 rwhp and 590 ftlbs when this happened. Any advise for me would be appreciated.

give Mike a call at L&M, I'm sure Van has good things to say about his engine ours turned out great.

L&M Engines

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
L&M is a great choice, they currently have my car and have put a new motor in.

As far as rebuilding yours, really the only thing that maybe usable is the block and that will have to be inspected to be sure.

only issue I see for you is that since you're in Canada the import duties could really drive the costs up for you. I think there is a builder up there "Campbell Engines" IIRC that does good work.

le rafiot

Established Member

Top speed or ....

Seahorse

Established Member
Sorry to hear it Ray, have you checked with Sean Hyland in Ontario - he sells crate engines in various stage builds. Do you know what caused the failure yet?

- Bill

Racing4Autism

Established Member
I knew with that HP the stock bottom end wouldn't last but I was planning on changing it this winter, the pistons failed causing blow by, exhaust smoking, car was still running fine but I decided to pull engine and see. Pistons failed about half an inch on number 7 and the other three pistons not to bad.
However I will look at the 5.8 or the 6.2 for replacement, as I will run the 4 litre crusher on the rebuild. Will have a decision made this week, any info on a better engine would would be appreciated. I dont want a Ford Racing engine for replacement, there botton end won't hold up. High speed and fuel was to lean, oil pump failure as well the issue. 21lbs of boost at the time.

rlhay2

Established Member
I dont want a Ford Racing engine for replacement, there botton end won't hold up.

Interesting statement. The FRPP block has better rods and pistons. Such that even MMR states it is a good foundation.

Yet you state it won't hold up...I am curious.

quikcobra

Established Member
There is a thread about Excessiveracing.com on this site he is building mainly high power stuff. He is the owner of the cammo twin turbo sn-95 drag car you may have seen it. and most of their builds are custom so your not just another wallet to them you will be on a name basis (Nice change imo).

But for your road racing you will need a dry sump system and a nice set of high revving heads correct? I know his prices are VERY good and the customer service is even better. Give them a call tell them Mickey told you to call ask to speak with Jordan. Just let him know what you want the Engine to do. He should be able to give you a good deal on something that will last and take a bit of abuse. Get everything coated and such. You could just send him your setup and they can go threw it all and let you know if it is better to rebuild or build a new engine. Then they have the MOD MOTOR knowledge to build you something that takes all your abuse and do it over and over.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
the FRPP short block is a reasonable choice and very well priced. $3000 shipped from Tousley. comes with forged Manley rods/pistons, hard to pass up, I almost went with it, but I wanted certain upgrades that L&M could provide.

Racing4Autism

Established Member
I need an engine that will hold up to high speed, mainly for rally racing, Targa Newfoundland, Targa Tasmania, Targa New Zealand, these are events I am entering. Anyone can check out my website Racing for Autism. I have entered Targa Newfoundland for the past two years. These races are 2200 km of flat out racing over 5 days. High end speeds for long perionds of time.
Due to the loss of my son in a tragic car accident :( , I canceled Targa New Zealand, it runs this month Oct 25, 2010.
I am looking for an engine that will stand up to this kind of abuse.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
well I can say with your usage you do need a purpose built motor, IMHO, not just a short block, your heads/cams will need work as well.

Micheal at L&M Engines is a great resource and a wealth of knowledge, you couldn't do much better IMHO, then getting him involved. The more you tell him about how you intend to run the car, the better he can build something for your application.

Van@RevanRacing

Ray,

Call Michael at L&M as I mentioned in my email. You can spend a lot of time and go back and forth in a lot of different directions.

You don't need to run a whipple 4.0 either. You need to stick with a smaller supercharger and do not exceed 15 lbs of boost if you want to run the entire event and have a car with longevity. Less boost more N/A horsepower will be better for a rally race like what you intend to run.

Increase the compression, reduce the boost even lower than 15 lbs maybe even 10 lbs at the most and make more natural motor power. You'll get more longevity for the type of racing you are doing.

For the record when I road race I run 9.5:1 compression, Ford GT Cams and low boost 13-15 lbs max on the road course. You don't need much more than that.

Van

Racing4Autism

Established Member
Ray,

Call Michael at L&M as I mentioned in my email. You can spend a lot of time and go back and forth in a lot of different directions.

You don't need to run a whipple 4.0 either. You need to stick with a smaller supercharger and do not exceed 15 lbs of boost if you want to run the entire event and have a car with longevity. Less boost more N/A horsepower will be better for a rally race like what you intend to run.

Increase the compression, reduce the boost even lower than 15 lbs maybe even 10 lbs at the most and make more natural motor power. You'll get more longevity for the type of racing you are doing.

For the record when I road race I run 9.5:1 compression, Ford GT Cams and low boost 13-15 lbs max on the road course. You don't need much more than that.

Van

Thanx Van, I will call him now , Will log in and read your e-mail Thanx again Van for your help.

quikcobra

Established Member
PM'ed you man. I heard about your wants man your looking to go HUGE! I told him you didnt know if you were rebuilding to going new. He was excited about your build, Im sure it will all work out GREAT.

Racing4Autism

Established Member
Thanx for all the info guys, L & M will build the new engine with an Aluminum block, Heads are with Fed-ex and en-route to L & M. Many thanx go out to everyone who helped me and especially Van @ Revan Racing.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Ray - good choice!

Picked up my Shelby from Michael last week and am very pleased about how it turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread