New engine or rebuild

Racing4Autism

Established Member
Thanx great news you are happy with the results, break in time now for a bit,, let me know how its running for ya, after a few miles.. Cheers

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
+1 ... You'll be very happy you went with L&M. Have a built L&M engine as well.... No issues at all... Mike is awesome, you can't go wrong...!

Racing4Autism

Established Member
Ya Bill I have a couple months till the car gets shipped to Austrialia, Targa Tasmania is in April.. with some luck I will be there... hoping 2011 will be a better year for the team and family... will give ya a shout when back on the Rock, Bill.

Seahorse

Established Member
Amen brother...hopefully it'll be a short winter too. Best of luck making it down-under!

Racing4Autism

Established Member
Michael at L & M Engines is in the process of assembling the new engine, will post pictures when it arrives in Newfoundland, waiting on custom grinded cams.. Getting excited to hear the engine roar again..

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Michael at L & M Engines is in the process of assembling the new engine, will post pictures when it arrives in Newfoundland, waiting on custom grinded cams.. Getting excited to hear the engine roar again..

Spoke to Michael yesterday, you've chosen wisely Ray. Best of Luck on the build :beer:

Seahorse

Established Member

WOOT! :thumbsup:

Racing4Autism

Established Member
Ok guys the engine is built,, Micheal is in the process of crating the engine and shipping it to Newfoundland,, a great Christmas gift ,,, I will post complete pictures and install asap,, Thankyou to all you guys for advise who pointed me in the right direction..

BigDan

Established Member
Ray,

Call Michael at L&M as I mentioned in my email. You can spend a lot of time and go back and forth in a lot of different directions.

You don't need to run a whipple 4.0 either. You need to stick with a smaller supercharger and do not exceed 15 lbs of boost if you want to run the entire event and have a car with longevity. Less boost more N/A horsepower will be better for a rally race like what you intend to run.

Increase the compression, reduce the boost even lower than 15 lbs maybe even 10 lbs at the most and make more natural motor power. You'll get more longevity for the type of racing you are doing.

For the record when I road race I run 9.5:1 compression, Ford GT Cams and low boost 13-15 lbs max on the road course. You don't need much more than that.

Van

How would the 2.3L TVS work in this application, since most people say they work better at 15psi then a 2.9L Whipple? Will this high compression low boost engine still make what a high psi TVS would 650-725whp

How come these engine's cant handle high boost for longevity? My friends EVO run's 25+psi my Cummins runs 42psi and Supra's at 30psi. What is keeping these mod motors from running 28psi+ all day.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Interesting that Livernois was not mentioned in this thread. Don't they build pretty stout engines?

Van@RevanRacing

How would the 2.3L TVS work in this application, since most people say they work better at 15psi then a 2.9L Whipple? Will this high compression low boost engine still make what a high psi TVS would 650-725whp

How come these engine's cant handle high boost for longevity? My friends EVO run's 25+psi my Cummins runs 42psi and Supra's at 30psi. What is keeping these mod motors from running 28psi+ all day.

Ray and Racing for Autism got sponsorship from Whipple. Thus why they are running the 2.9. The TVS could very well be a good supercharger for this application as could a Kenne Bell 2.8 LC :rockon:

This is a very unique application. Targa Racing is BRUTAL. There are instances where these cars will be airborne over some portions of the track. There are specific rules and other factors that have to be taken into account. Fuel, Emissions etc. etc. The goal for this motor and application is power and longevity. Boost equals heat and 30 minutes to an hour of boost on any engine is huge heat and it has to be managed accordingly. Since this is a true "race application" the idea was to keep the heat down by reducing the boost and increasing compression which also creates heat but not like boost creates heat.

Van

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I don't know about the all-out racing apps, but does Ford have a Re-man. Gt500 Motor available?? Many of us took advantage of the Term. re-man program with Steve at Tousley, about $4K Delivered for a dressed long-block...Good deal that made good power and a 3 yr/100K warranty from Ford...Just wondering....

Van@RevanRacing

I don't know about the all-out racing apps, but does Ford have a Re-man. Gt500 Motor available?? Many of us took advantage of the Term. re-man program with Steve at Tousley, about $4K Delivered for a dressed long-block...Good deal that made good power and a 3 yr/100K warranty from Ford...Just wondering....

They do not have a re-man GT500 motor program.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Another company not many people know if is Huffaker Engineering.. Welcome to Huffaker Engineering They are out of infineon raceway and build some very very very nasty road racing engines.. I know most of the GT500 guys don't know about them.. They are a great company..

Racing4Autism

Established Member
What is Targa Newfoundland?

So many of you may have asked yourself, "What is Cooch going on about.. Targa Newfoundland?"
Fear not, I'm going to fill you in!

The Targa is one of three events of its kind in the world, the other two being the Targa Tasmania, and Targa New Zealand. They are time-distance rallies. You are given a time with which to reach a certain checkpoint, or 'Leg', in a certain amount of time. There are many legs to a rally. The faster time is the best. The idea is to have as few penalties as possible by the end of the rally.

The event comprises over 2200 kms of driving. It is an opportunity to unleash the power of a car the way it was meant to be, safely and without harming the public.

Despite it being a race, there are rules. This is an FIA( Federation International Automobiles) sanctioned event, which is the same governing body that governs Formula 1 as well as almost every other major racing event in Europe. FIA rules state that a competitor may not exceed 200km/h as well there is no average speed . That's fast especially driving thru residential towns.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C0yeuaG7J4&feature=related"]YouTube - Targa Newfoundland 2010 - Turner/Deagle - Car 511 - Brigus[/nomedia]

Click on the video to see what its about,,

Thanx to all who have helped in the building of our race engine,,,

Ray

KG/Eleanor

Established Member
I have a 2010 Shelby GT500, is it better for me to rebuild my engine or just buy a new short block.. I lost 4 pistons in a melt down.. Who has a good race engine out there, keep in mind this car is set up for Rally Racing.. Car has 655 rwhp and 590 ftlbs when this happened. Any advise for me would be appreciated.

Were you running a boost a pump?

Users who are viewing this thread