New Guy... 03 Cobra Track Dog!

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Hello everyone
I've been brousing on this site a few time3 in the last 3 years, learning and making notes! Now I decided to join an introduce myself...
I am running a full weight street legal 03 Cobra on the OT on a regular basis. Did the 2003 SVTOA on Shannonville and the 2004 SVTOA on Dunneville in Canada. (maybe I met some of you there!?)

Mods: Ported Eaton at 10PSI max 18 deg total and 10.5A/F, two core rad from Fluidyne with end tanks modified into a dual pass setup, intercooler tapped into the heater core, custom windage under tray, fully boxed in front rad ducting, full exchaust & Intake,
2000Cobra R rotors & calipers with GS3 Grand Sport pads from Satisfied Motorsports, custom 3in ducting for the front rotors, battery behind passenger seat, subframe connectors, strutbraces, swaybars,
850-900lb/in springs with stock shocks, stock A arms with custom steel sleeved Delrin bushings on all four corners.
Tires: Toyo RA1 for competion (Solosprint rules for my class) and Grand Am Cup for open lapping.

thanks

Cobra-R

Established Member
Welcome!!

Nice looking car, sounds like your a pretty good driver as well (looking at your sig)

Brian

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Sweetness, welcome to the money pit. Nice car, got any vids or more pics?

Dave

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Venom525RWHP said:
I made this vid to show off the Cobra on "streetfire.net"...

enjoy.

Click here to see Video

Awesome video, full package car, open track horse and quarter mile beast. Nicely done. How do you keep that thing cool with that much power with the SC? On a hot day, get much heat soak or is it staying cool enough.

Thanks for the vid. Keep them coming

Dave

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Welcome!!

Nice looking car, sounds like your a pretty good driver as well (looking at your sig)

Brian

Thanks, in 2005 the rule book alowed me to run 10 psi and I basically dominated SGT2. I came 1st in 8 out of 9 events!
For 2006 they slowed me down (limited to 8psi and no ECU upgrades) and allowed the other guys more mods to level the field:( . This year I had two 2nd and three 3rd places.
Missing two events really hurt my points for this year... but all in all it was a great year, the Cobra ran strong with no breakdowns.

Last edited:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
dtheo said:
Awesome video, full package car, open track horse and quarter mile beast. Nicely done. How do you keep that thing cool with that much power with the SC? On a hot day, get much heat soak or is it staying cool enough.

Thanks for the vid. Keep them coming

Dave

The front splitter, windage under tray and the radiator ducting helped a lot for the hot (+30 c) days. I also added a oil cooler - mounted behind the left foglight inlet.
Running at 10 PSI max my IT2's were in the 135-140f range and ECT in the 230's during hot laps on Mosport.
Next year I want to modify the front splitter to improve the airflow even more. If I can get the ECT down to 220 I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Mosport Turn1

333_1448a.jpg

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Are you running a rear wheel spacer? From the looks of the first photo it looks likely. Are you spending rear wheel bearings prematurely?

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
TroyV said:
Are you running a rear wheel spacer? From the looks of the first photo it looks likely. Are you spending rear wheel bearings prematurely?

Yes, I am running a 1.0in bolt on spacer - 40 000km's and no problems so far.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hi Riaan:

Welcome to the site! :thumbsup: Glad to have another Track Dawg amongst us! :-D

I hope the Z06 in your first pic was a Cobra 'victim'? We have got to have a few more people around here that appreciate passing Z06's! ;-) :poke:

You'll find this section of the board is a little slow. :( Most of the hard core track guys hang out in the Cobra R section and you are also more than welcome in there! :coolman: We have lots of non R guys hanging out there because they are Track Dawgz at heart.

Your car looks great and it looks like you motivate it around the track quite nicely?! :rockon:

Have fun and enjoy your stay!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

PS I see you're from Toronto. Do you know the Moran's and their Green '99 Cobra?

03'Darin

Established Member
Welcome aboard!! It's always great to see new people that enjoy real tracks with turns in them. :-D Car looks great and fast!! It sounds like you can drive the car well too.

Just curios, what advantage do you feel you get from running the inter cooler tapped in to the heater core?

Not to hijack his thread but I did an OT day Friday at Summit Point. You guys (well some of you :poke: would be proud of me) I had 2 different guys in new Z06's that couldn't hang with me. :-D

Darin

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
03'Darin said:
You guys (well some of you :poke: would be proud of me) I had 2 different guys in new Z06's that couldn't hang with me. :-D

Darin

Oh yeah Darin!:D Way to go Buddy!! :rockon:

Don't be offended by thread derails either, because it's what we do best around here!!?! :bowdown:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Thanks for the warm welcome!!
I wish I can say that the ZO6 was another 'victim', but in all honesty Gord was hard on my tail the whole day. There was less than .5 of a sec between our best laps. My hats off to any Mustang that can run down and beat a new ZO6 (Darin you're the MAN!)
And yes I know the Morans, they took me for a ride on Mosport to show me the lines! ( 1.35 avge with me as a passenger) I copied the aluminum end plates off their wing for my Cobra. Really good guys to hang with.

My IT2's were in the 150's (now 140 max) before my heater core mod. This way I can spend more money on rubber!
Anyone running the new Hoosier R6's?

Here is a pic of me and Gord with our cars..
IMG_0098.jpg

VENM

One of the Fab 5 Fords
Established Member
Welcome Riian:
Your car looks great and really snorts :thumbsup: Ever plan on a Road America Event :thumbsup:

03'Darin

Established Member
Venom525RWHP said:
Thanks for the warm welcome!!
I wish I can say that the ZO6 was another 'victim', but in all honesty Gord was hard on my tail the whole day. There was less than .5 of a sec between our best laps. My hats off to any Mustang that can run down and beat a new ZO6 (Darin you're the MAN!)
And yes I know the Morans, they took me for a ride on Mosport to show me the lines! ( 1.35 avge with me as a passenger) I copied the aluminum end plates off their wing for my Cobra. Really good guys to hang with.

My IT2's were in the 150's (now 140 max) before my heater core mod. This way I can spend more money on rubber!
Anyone running the new Hoosier R6's?

Here is a pic of me and Gord with our cars..
IMG_0098.jpg

What exactly is the heater core mod? Coolant is usually around at least 200 so I would think tapping in to the heater core would increase the IAT2's. Or are you cutting off the radiator coolant flow to the heater core and just using it as an additonal radiator for the inter cooler?

I would have to say my Z06' story had more to do with the driver mod. Not trying to say I'm good and they were bad but, seeing the power, braking and handling capability those cars have I think the driver mod was critical in the outcome. I have a fair amount of experience on that track and in a Mustang in general. The Z06 guy that I passed and was pulling away from in the last session (any time we were away from traffic) came over to chat with me before we left. He couldn't believe I was not only running street tires, but the cheapest street tires I could have put on the car. lol I had a used up set of Falkens on the front and my street 315 Summitomo's on the rear. He was pretty impressed with how the Cobra ran. :-D He said the only place he could catch me was down the front straight and under braking in to the first turn, which he did. He was kind of bummed when I told him I wasn't running wide open down the straight on count of having to slow it down for the sharp turn in one. His buddy also walked over with him. Turned out his buddy was the one running the newer Porsche Carrera in the previous session that I passed pulled away from. He make the coment of how impressed he was with the way I got "that Mustang through the turns hangin' it out". lol Both guys were really cool. The day was a blast.

Don't ask why I was running the really really really crappy street tires. lol

See..... I'm learing from the best in the R forum on how to properly hijack someone's thread.

Now, back to your regulary scheduled topic. :-D

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I am just using the heater core as an additional radiator.:)

I bet your crappy streets must have been a lot of fun on the OT!! Sounds like you know your way around that track...;-)

No worries hijacking, this is pretty normal on our local Mustang forums.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread