Next SVT GT350 to get Carbon Fiber wheels

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
The wheels in that video are Carbon Revolution wheels, which are ungodly expensive. $15k for a set of wheels. Ford's supplier for carbon fiber is Plasan Carbon Composites. Plasan currently doesn't make any wheels in carbon fiber, and probably wont in the near future either.

CF wheels are more likely to mean BBS' line of CF wheels.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...l=CF&wheelFinish=Machined+w/Anthracite+Accent

Probably just an updated look for the SVT. Moreover, Ford has used BBS wheels in the past for track cars(Ford GT, Boss 302S/R.)

wildwill532

Established Member
**** it I'll spend 80k for a fully optioned 625hp mustang. Yes brilliance at its best. 20k is a huge jump in price what is that 25%? Ford may just price their self out of the game if they indeed go to this high of a price.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
**** it I'll spend 80k for a fully optioned 625hp mustang. Yes brilliance at its best. 20k is a huge jump in price what is that 25%? Ford may just price their self out of the game if they indeed go to this high of a price.

People bought the Z/28 and everyone said the same thing.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The wheels in that video are Carbon Revolution wheels, which are ungodly expensive. $15k for a set of wheels. Ford's supplier for carbon fiber is Plasan Carbon Composites. Plasan currently doesn't make any wheels in carbon fiber, and probably wont in the near future either.

CF wheels are more likely to mean BBS' line of CF wheels.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...l=CF&wheelFinish=Machined+w/Anthracite+Accent

Probably just an updated look for the SVT. Moreover, Ford has used BBS wheels in the past for track cars(Ford GT, Boss 302S/R.)

You'd be incorrect to think that Ford does not have a supplier relationship with Carbon Revolution, Ford has very deep ties with Carbon Revolution borne from the ashes of the Australia pullout. As for pricing an OEM signing a large-volume multi-year deal won't pay anywhere near those prices.

Carbon Revolution provided the wheels for the Fusion in the video that Mombo linked. I'm linking an article below about that same car. If you'll take the time to watch the EngineeringTV vid I linked in my first response you'll see that Ford was already evaluating the Carbon Revolution wheels.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ford-builds-800-pounds-lighter-fusion

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Just like every single other car... Prices continue to rise. People continue to pay them.

If you don't want to pay $80k. Pay $60k. Just like with the 13 GT500. You could get the car for $55k. Or $70k. Guess who is happier two years later with residual value? The guy who paid $55k.

Don't want to spend $60k? Spend $40k on a GT with a perf pack.

Don't want to spend $40k? Spend $30k on a Ecoboost with a performance pack.

There's a range of $50k. Something for everyone's budget.

Look... you need to stop bring so much common sense into this thread.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
You'd be incorrect to think that Ford does not have a supplier relationship with Carbon Revolution, Ford has very deep ties with Carbon Revolution borne from the ashes of the Australia pullout. As for pricing an OEM signing a large-volume multi-year deal won't pay anywhere near those prices.

Carbon Revolution provided the wheels for the Fusion in the video that Mombo linked. I'm linking an article below about that same car. If you'll take the time to watch the EngineeringTV vid I linked in my first response you'll see that Ford was already evaluating the Carbon Revolution wheels.

Interesting. I still stand by my comment that BBS wheels will be used.

Mombo

Established Member
Ford builds an 800-pounds-lighter Fusion

Yes You Are Correct And If They Watch The Video's Plus Read The Links... :read:

" This Fusion lost about 800 pounds from stock. It weighs in at around 2,600 pounds -- as light as the Ford Fiesta. Thirty percent of the weight savings came from the suspension alone, while 35 percent came from the interior and the glass. "

" To get those weight savings, Ford threw in every trick it knew. All the yellow areas you see above are aluminum, including the front subframe, the engine block, connecting rods and brake rotors (which are now 38 percent lighter), along with aluminum and magnesium transmission internals. The rear springs are hollow steel, but the front springs are composite plastic, which makes sense when they don't have to prop up as much weight. (The plastic springs are already undergoing durability testing for future applications.) "

"The windshield is chemically laminated like on a modern cellphone, Ford says. The seats, the oil pan and
the entire dashboard are all carbon fiber, as are the wheels -- 19 inches like a regular Fusion, sure, but just 5 inches wide, sourced from Carbon Revolution " :idea:

" But, of course, the F-150 shed approximately the same poundage from its predecessor as the Lightweight Concept from its Fusion -- the aluminum-bodied truck is 700 pounds lighter. We expect that the lessons Ford will learn from this concept will find their way into sedans, coupes, hatchbacks -- the entire lineup, really. Especially the Mustang " :coolman:

140609844-2.jpg140609844.jpg424009995-3.jpg424009995-15.jpg424009995-16.jpg

:pop:

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
we talked with the CR guys at sema. i believe theyre 19s average about 15lbs per wheel. which is probably 5lbs less than your lightest lightweight forged wheels out there. (with big brake clearances). but for $15k a set....

and, carbon fiber is brittle. aluminum is flexible. automotive wheels actually flex a little while driving. carbon fiber wheels do not. at the first sign of stress where flexing would be needed, the wheel will break and be junk and youre then left needing to buy a new $3750 wheel. obviously if offered by a manufacturer then the pricing would come way down but it would still be prohibitively expensive, just like carbon ceramic brakes. everyone's excited to get them on their street car, until they need to replace them :uh oh:

now imagine how much flexing an aluminum wheel on a 6,000lb truck does when carrying a payload and towing. or even a Taurus with 5 adults in the car.

i could see them possibly being offered on a top of the line svt mustang but not as standard issue. much too soon. and on production cars? how happy would your average ford owner be if they had to buy a new wheel every time they hit a nasty pothole or curb, even if they were just a few hundred $ per wheel?

i could see manufacturers moving to lighter/stronger forged wheels on production vehicles like on the gt500s, mass produced in taiwan. but they would need to MASS produce them to make them cost effective for mass production vehicles. if there are 15,000 gt500s made in a year. that's 60,000 wheels. plus spares. so, say 100,000 wheels made for a one year run. and theyre still over $1k each (retail).

but, there are also now ways to produce light weight cast wheels which are far more cost effective to produce and probably strong enough to meet oem demands for passenger cars.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
I hope Ford doesn't do what Chevy did with the Z/28. They sell a Z/28 for around $96,000, out the door, to some Chevy guy that has to pay for Ferrari brakes when the time comes to replace them.

I ll take a SS Camaro 1 LE and put slotted rotors and probably keep up with the Z, with the Z tires/rims.

The Z, According to latest mototrend Mag is .8 seconds faster than the 2013 Gt500 on the track they used. The Z is $36,000 more than my 2014 Gt 500.

.8 second. Not worth $36,000 to me. I just need better tires.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
we talked with the CR guys at sema. i believe theyre 19s average about 15lbs per wheel. which is probably 5lbs less than your lightest lightweight forged wheels out there. (with big brake clearances). but for $15k a set....

and, carbon fiber is brittle. aluminum is flexible. automotive wheels actually flex a little while driving. carbon fiber wheels do not. at the first sign of stress where flexing would be needed, the wheel will break and be junk and youre then left needing to buy a new $3750 wheel. obviously if offered by a manufacturer then the pricing would come way down but it would still be prohibitively expensive, just like carbon ceramic brakes. everyone's excited to get them on their street car, until they need to replace them :uh oh:

now imagine how much flexing an aluminum wheel on a 6,000lb truck does when carrying a payload and towing. or even a Taurus with 5 adults in the car.

i could see them possibly being offered on a top of the line svt mustang but not as standard issue. much too soon. and on production cars? how happy would your average ford owner be if they had to buy a new wheel every time they hit a nasty pothole or curb, even if they were just a few hundred $ per wheel?

i could see manufacturers moving to lighter/stronger forged wheels on production vehicles like on the gt500s, mass produced in taiwan. but they would need to MASS produce them to make them cost effective for mass production vehicles. if there are 15,000 gt500s made in a year. that's 60,000 wheels. plus spares. so, say 100,000 wheels made for a one year run. and theyre still over $1k each (retail).

but, there are also now ways to produce light weight cast wheels which are far more cost effective to produce and probably strong enough to meet oem demands for passenger cars.

Good stuff.

Could a CF wheel ever pass some of the OEM curbing tests that they put their wheels through? One trip through a car wash, or a slightly "off" parallel park job could be expensive.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Interesting. I still stand by my comment that BBS wheels will be used.
CF is carbon fiber and there will be no CF BBS wheels on the GT350. The CF wheels will be offered on the GT350R as will the CC brakes. CarbonRev needs to get production going in higher numbers so selling the wheels to Ford at basically cost is a smart strategy to get the wheels out in the market. The only thing to speculate about this is if the CF wheels make it past the durability testing and I think they will. The GT350R will be like the BOSS 302 Laguna Seca was to the BOSS 302. It will have a rear seat delete with X brace too. My prediction on pricing is $60-65K for the GT350 and $70-75K for the GT350R.

12C/OBoss

Established Member
I hope Ford doesn't do what Chevy did with the Z/28. They sell a Z/28 for around $96,000, out the door, to some Chevy guy that has to pay for Ferrari brakes when the time comes to replace them.

I ll take a SS Camaro 1 LE and put slotted rotors and probably keep up with the Z, with the Z tires/rims.

The Z, According to latest mototrend Mag is .8 seconds faster than the 2013 Gt500 on the track they used. The Z is $36,000 more than my 2014 Gt 500.

.8 second. Not worth $36,000 to me. I just need better tires.

The z/28 is $76,xxx with a/c, destination, and gas guzzler. Where did you find a GT500 for $40,000? :rollseyes

To keep up with a z/28 you need some DSSV dampers, suspension bushings, 7.0 liter dry sumped V8, different trans, Recaros, sways, wheels and Trofeo R's, and, and...:read:

The z/28 is MUCH more than a SS 1LE package as good as the 1LE is...:coolman:

Last edited:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
To keep up with a z/28 you need some DSSV dampers, suspension bushings, 7.0 liter dry sumped V8, different trans, Recaros, sways, wheels and Trofeo R's, and, and...:read:

The z/28 is MUCH more than a SS 1LE package as good as the 1LE is...:coolman:
I agree. The Boss 302 properly setup can stay close but with equal drivers the Z/28 is just faster. No shame in that just fact. I can't wait for the GT350 to arrive.

[video=youtube;dtb-bGxHdZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dtb-bGxHdZk[/video]

91z28350

Established Member
Everything I have seen on the Z/28 says it it delivers on its premise, bad ass track focused 4 seat car (hard to call a 3900lb car a pony car). For the money, give me a Z06 all day long, but I do respect it. That being said,I am VERY curious to see what the GT350 is all about (but to be really honest, give me another GT500 all day long. Love the 1/4 mile).

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Hmmmmmm. I guess I might be wrong about this afterall.

EMBLEMATIC OF FUTURE
New companies such as Carbon Revolution, which is spearheading global innovation in carbon-fibre car wheels, are emblematic of the future envisioned by Lyons. At $15,000 a set, its wheels are made for prestige cars such as Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini and BMW and sold direct to car owners rather than the manufacturers. Lighter and just as strong as their alloy predecessors, the gleaming, herringbone-patterned composite wheels enhance driving performance.

Carbon fibres, which are thinner than a human hair, have long been used in motor sports and bikes but not in open-road cars. Their commercial prospects excited Carbon Revolution’s founders, a group of engineering students and their PhD mentors, who worked at Ford and elsewhere in the industry. They designed a set of wheels for an international race car design contest in 2004. A few years later, they set up in business.

The company still operates from Deakin’s Waurn Ponds campus, but has aggressive expansion plans. A big car-maker (which it won’t name) has agreed to fit Carbon Revolution’s wheels as standard equipment on some of its models. Production is poised to expand to 4000 sets of wheels a year and, with a capital injection of about $20 million from Ronal of Switzerland, should reach 50,000 sets in a couple of years.

That is about the production of the GT500 th last few years

Source: http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/afrmagazine/the_fall_and_rise_of_geelong_37snvLtFtyTDefnLbeNdoL

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
There's no way a CF wheel will ever be affordable if you have to buy a new one from Ford. Here's a couple pictures of costs for 2014 GT500 wheels, the blower and just the seat back for the driver side Recaro. You don't even want to know how expensive Raptor parts are either!

IMAG2104_zpslpgeu2d9.jpg

IMAG2105_zpsa82aqfjh.jpg

It's hard to read but the blower is $3700 which is normal and the Recaro seat back is almost $2000. You still have to buy the other parts to the seat.
IMAG2106_zpsz4uc4xaw.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread